Thread: where to get 338 ammo

Default where to get 338 ammo

I've been looking for 250 gn Barnes for my 338 Win Mag, have only found 225 gn at Mt View Sports. Any ideas?

thanks in advance

How about Sportsmans Warehouse???

They dont make factory 250 grain Barnes TSX's for the 338WM, only the 225.

I believe the Barnes rep told me that they would be making a .338 250 gr MRX bullet some time in the future. He said the 250 gr would bullet would be too long in the TSX. He also said that they were going to devlop and offer heavier bullets in the MRX to shorten them. The largest TSX to be made will be the .338 cal 225 gr.

Give them a call if your interested.

Default thanks for the replies

the information everyone provided was very valuable. I'll pick up a box of the 225 gn.

Default News Flash

I was looking at the Barnes site today and they list 250 gr TSX. I could have sworn when I checked yesterday there was no such critter. It may be brand new. You might want to give them a call.

Default 225 gr. might be just fine

One thing to consider is that because of their all copper construction, you would probably get excellent shock and penetration from the 225 gr, bullet. Since the heavier bullet is probably intended in this case for penetration, then the 225 Barnes might be fine. I have always believed that a fairly heavy larger diameter bullet at a reasonable speed is a good way to go for hunting,
    but the Barnes bullets have me thinking, using them, that one "size" smaller at a little higher velocity might be excellent. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    One thing to consider is that because of their all copper construction, you would probably get excellent shock and penetration from the 225 gr, bullet. Since the heavier bullet is probably intended in this case for penetration, then the 225 Barnes might be fine. I have always believed that a fairly heavy larger diameter bullet at a reasonable speed is a good way to go for hunting,
    but the Barnes bullets have me thinking, using them, that one "size" smaller at a little higher velocity might be excellent. Go figure.
    ...Yep, I'll have to agree with you....and I've always used the 225 grain Barnes in my .338 Browning A-bolt- more than adequate bear load...

Yup, Barnes does make a 250 grain TSX in 338 WM. I just saw a box at Sportsmans Warehouse in Fairbanks last weekend. You can also find them at Midway etc.

Back in February, on the Weatherby Nation forum, there was a live chat with Randy Brooks of Barnes. I asked him if they were going to produce a 250 grain Tipped Triple Shock (TTSX). He said they were too long to get the kind of performance he wanted out of the 338 WM. So, it looks like the 225 grain TTSX will be the heaviest they'll make in that caliber and design.

Getting back to the 225 grain bullets. I'm still shooting some of the old 225 grain Barnes X-bullets. I've had great success using them on blacktails, caribou, goat, moose, browns, and a grizz. My two 338 WMs hate 250 grain bullets so I shoot only the 225 grainers and they have really performed well. No complaints from me.