Thread: Black Cod / Sablefish

Question Black Cod / Sablefish

Hi All,

I recently had some black cod (wow! SOOO yummy!) and would LOVE to hook some - anyone have any experience re: where, how? I read a bit about it - but I've never hear of anyone sportfishing for them.

I'm in Juneau, by the way, and we are heading to Sitka in a couple weeks and hope to do some fishing on the way...

Thanks in advance!

AC

There was a thread on this before. Do a search and you will find good info on it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

This thread looks good. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=sablefish

The search funtion never would work for me. It always replied my search words were too common . Seems to work now.

---

I was wrong it is still screwed up. How do I do a search on little susitna hunting ?
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

If you want black cod or sable fish, remember one thing... FISH DEEP! And i mean really deep. deeper than you will ever want to again! lol.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default forum member

CanCanCase has posted numerous times about his experiences fishing for sablefish. From what I have gathered he is really knowledgeable and one of the more helpful people on this site. He is located in the Juneau area and i'm sure he would be glad to talk to you about it, he seems to be very passionate and excited about what he does and if I ever make it down there that's who I'd talk to. His web site is www.CanCanCase.com.

Case is most definitely the resource on here for Blackcod/sablefish. Fish deep and then go deeper, thats all I have to say about it.

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

AC- Plan on a reel wound up with at least 2000' of braid that doesn't stretch. Then figure out how to stay over a spot for 5-10 minutes while your 2#-4# leads get your gear to the bottom...

On our first sablefish charter last season we landed 23 in just under 3 hours... tossed most back as they were small... that was in 1400' somewhere between here and Sitka (Chatham.) Next trip out we started deeper... didn't land the numbers as before, but they were all keepers.

If you've got any signal loss on your depth sounder at all, most smaller units won't give good readings or pictures at the depths required. I lose picture quite a bit, but I can hold station over the waypoints I've got marked with the GPS fairly well... I once had a guy motor all the way around my boat, think about it for a minute, then proceed to spool all the line off his shiny new Avet reel... no, it wasn't tied! I ran into him in Western Auto a while later, and he told me he was sure I was on a pinnacle fishing halibut. When I told him we were in 2300' fishing, he just turned red and walked away... 300 yards of 80# spectra isn't cheap!

If you decide it's going to be easier to charter, there's only one boat in Juneau that I know of which advertises sablefish trips. One of the lodges on Shelter Island makes a sable run each week for their guests too.

We have hooked them shallower than 1000' before too... 400' to 800' while halibut fishing has produced a few over the years, but nothing as reliable as finding a "hole" in 2000'+...

Have fun!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    I once had a guy motor all the way around my boat, think about it for a minute, then proceed to spool all the line off his shiny new Avet reel... no, it wasn't tied! I ran into him in Western Auto a while later, and he told me he was sure I was on a pinnacle fishing halibut. When I told him we were in 2300' fishing, he just turned red and walked away... 300 yards of 80# spectra isn't cheap!

Too Funny!!!!

Thumbs up Use Circle Hooks

Besides Case's good advice, I would first suggest you use circle hooks with your braided line. We have had very good success in Chatham Straits starting at (and many times staying at) 500 feet and then working our way deeper if necessary. (From commercial longlining in Chatham I found that there can be large blackcod in "shallower" areas - you just need to spend some time looking for them on ledges and plateaus.) Another important thing to keep in mind is to fish during the smaller cycles of tides so your boat isn't affected as much by currents.

Our best bait choice is squid, but we also put a pink or orange (shrimp-colored) needlefish skirt on the line and slide it over the shank of the hook because these are competitive and voracious feeders and a couple of fish can fight over your bait and tear it off and not too much happens with a bare hook. ;-) We have had relatively good luck on Braid jigs with assist hooks, too - so that is another option.

One of the disadvantages of fishing for blackcod is that their mouths are extremely soft. Most of the time your circle hook will stick in the corner of the mouth - behind the harder joint of the jaw, but it is important to keep steady pressure on your fish and don't try to "pump" them up to the surface. I believe the hooks tear an ever-larger hole on the way to the surface so any slack can allow the hook to drop out (it has happened to us a couple of times right at the side of the boat). Have the net ready before it gets close because if they come off at the boat they immediately dive and are out of reach! Have fun.