Thread: Is there a new 1 fish Season Limit for non-res on Kings eff July 15?

Default Is there a new 1 fish Season Limit for non-res on Kings eff July 15?

I read the emergency order dated 4-9-08 and thought that they had lowered the annual limit on Kings down to 1 fish from July 16 and later.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state.../nr.cfm?id=912

I'll just post a question looking for a clarification as a new thread.

Thanks!
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by ncridgerunner View Post
    I read the emergency order dated 4-9-08 and thought that they had lowered the annual limit on Kings down to 1 fish from July 16 and later.

I'll just post a question looking for a clarification as a new thread.

Thanks!
    Nate
    Looks like it is.

It is in southeast though.

"You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Whoa, is that an ANNUAL limit or a daily limit? I am guessing since they did not specifically say ANNUAL in the release that is a daily limit. That would suck if it was annual though.

Default I think harvest limit implies annual limit???

I called the ADFG and the young lady that answered the phone could not clarify any further other than just reading the EO to me.

From January 1 through June 30, a nonresident’s harvest limit is three king salmon, 28 inches or greater in length;
    o From July 1 through July 15, a nonresident’s harvest limit is two king salmon, 28 inches or greater in length, and any king salmon 28 inches or greater in length harvested by the nonresident from January 1 through June 30 will apply toward the two fish harvest limit;
    o From July 16 through December 31, a nonresident’s harvest limit is one king salmon, 28 inches or greater in length, and any king salmon 28 inches or greater in length harvested by the nonresident from January 1 through July 15 will apply toward the one fish harvest limit;
    o Nonresident anglers must record all king salmon harvested, in ink, either on the back of their sport fishing license, or on a nontransferable harvest record immediately.

Whenever you call them yahoos, you have to ask to talk to a biologist. They make the regs and know the most about them. I have talked to those girls before as well and they dont know jack about the written word. Pretty much useless except to transfer calls. More often than not, the biologists know and will explain the intricacies behind the regs and what to expect in the future months as well. Thats just my experience.

Default Here is a better link to the EO dated Apr 9, 2008

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...KS-R-03-08.pdf

I know what you mean about the girls answering the phones... she just kept reading the EO every time I asked a specific question.

Note that this EO applies to the Southeast region and not the South Central which includes the Kenai peninsula.

That reg is for Southeast Alaska. In South Central the daily and yearly limits on King Salmon have not changed from years past during the month of July for either resident or non resident anglers. In May-June on the Kenai River there is no longer an annual limit on King Salmon between 20 - 28 inches in length. However, You would still have the daily limit of one King Salmon over 20 inches in place during May - June on the Kenai. So, if you catch a king between 20 - 28 inches on the Kenai RIver during before July 1 you would be able to keep it, not write it on the harvest card, but you would still have to stop fishing from a boat on that day.

ncridgerunner is correct that harvest limit refers to annual limit. The daily limit for kings 28 inches or greater is one for all anglers. Another way to read the "harvest limit" of king salmon 28 inches or greater in length for non-residents would be there is an annual limit of three, of which only two may be taken from July 1-July 15 and only one may be taken from July 16-Dec. 31. You can still only take one per day. If you take three kings prior to July 1, you cannot retain any more king salmon (28 inches or greater) for the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by akkona View Post
    ncridgerunner is correct that harvest limit refers to annual limit. The daily limit for kings 28 inches or greater is one for all anglers. Another way to read the "harvest limit" of king salmon 28 inches or greater in length for non-residents would be there is an annual limit of three, of which only two may be taken from July 1-July 15 and only one may be taken from July 16-Dec. 31. You can still only take one per day. If you take three kings prior to July 1, you cannot retain any more king salmon (28 inches or greater) for the rest of the year.
    Maybe I'm mis-reading your explanation, but if you take ONE king in May, it applies to the annual limit in effect in July, so you're done fishing after July 1 if you even kept ONE fish earlier in the year.

It's also being explained that, even though the 4 lines for charters limit was imposed in the king regs, it applies to all fishing for all species. Oh well... you'll still see my boat with 6 lines running at once... I only have to bring 1 guest to turn my family of 5 into a full 6 anglers on the boat! ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Maybe I'm mis-reading your explanation, but if you take ONE king in May, it applies to the annual limit in effect in July, so you're done fishing after July 1 if you even kept ONE fish earlier in the year.
    Yes, if you take one in May, it does apply to the annual limit in effect in July, but between July 1-July 15 the annual limit is two, so you could still harvest one more during that time period. BUT, you would be unable to retain any more kings after July 15.

Exactly... and with sliding annual limits, everyone who booked 2 or more fishing charters in July on back to back cruises gets screwed... Oh well... more for us locals! This will actually be one year where I can fish more lines to fill my freezer than my clients can fish on charter... kinda cool!

-Case

Oh, I spoke with Charlie Swanton today... they're calling the BoF next week for a teleconference to clarify the reg... Before May 1, we should have info on Golden North Derby exemptions and the charter line limits. (Current interpretations prohibit more than 4 lines from a charter boat when fishing for ANY species, not just Kings...) Bottom line: don't make any plans related to SE King Salmon just yet. The EO has been issued, and will likely be superseded fairly soon with updated policies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

this is all for non res anglers right?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The annual ("harvest limits") are for non-res. 4 lines max is for a charter boat while chartering (res or non clients). The 1 fish daily bag limit is for ALL anglers, period.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The annual ("harvest limits") are for non-res. 4 lines max is for a charter boat while chartering (res or non clients). The 1 fish daily bag limit is for ALL anglers, period.

-Case
    Got it... F&G needs to give out a decoder ring...

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Got it... F&G needs to give out a decoder ring...
    I'm your decoder ring, dude... ADF&G and the troopers have issued very public opinions that even though I can't sell fish, take any myself (on charter), or even question the information a client gives me, I am personally responsible for the violations of any of my clients. I guess I won't be taking you on any of our ocean steelhead trips... I know you'll just eat every fish that comes aboard, and then I'll get a ticket when you eat too many of them! ;-)

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm your decoder ring, dude... ADF&G and the troopers have issued very public opinions that even though I can't sell fish, take any myself (on charter), or even question the information a client gives me, I am personally responsible for the violations of any of my clients. I guess I won't be taking you on any of our ocean steelhead trips... I know you'll just eat every fish that comes aboard, and then I'll get a ticket when you eat too many of them! ;-)

-Case
    Maybe I'm just bad at reading but that emergency order is one of the worst written reg I've seen in a while, lets see if I can get this straight

Residents:
    -Limit is 1 king per day >28"
    -No Annual Limit

Nonresident
    -Limit is 1 king per day >28"
    -Annual limit is 3 until 6/30 if you harvest 2 or more kings before 6/30 you may not retain kings after 6/30 and if you harvest 1 or more kings before 7/16 you may not retain a king after 7/16
    -Annual limit is 2 between 6/30 and 7/16
    -Annual limit is 1 after 7/16

All anglers
    -8/1-9/30 Limit is 1 per day >48" except >28" in Southern Lynn Canal and Stephens passage (Juneau area waters, excluding taku inlet) map here http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...2008%20map.pdf
    -Charter vessels can have no more than 4 lines in the water

thats not confusing at all or anything....

Default Wow

They sure are tightening down on you guys in Southeast. That sucks.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

And now, the latest word from F&G is don't pay any attention to that EO (they didn't really say that, but implied...)

They're conference calling the BoF to "clarify the board's intent" with the KS Management Plan. A new EO will be issued before the end of April to go into effect May 1 that is supposed to clarify all of this...

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]