Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf fishing from Homer Spit

Default Surf fishing from Homer Spit

I'll be on the Kenai Peninsula in July and would like to surf fish for halibut from the Homer Spit. Any info. on tackle, tides, bait, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I have only ever seen two halibut caught from the Homer spit. The largest was about 15". I have caught some crazy Irish Lords though and a 24" flounder once. Fishing on the bottom anyways.

Caught a few dollies there on trout gear. I like to use rapalas for them.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

From time to time you hear people catching Halibut from shore. I know people at the end of the spit in Homer will fish the left side (bay side) and they catch Pollock and Cod in good numbers. As for bait I would go with herring and #30 pound test with enough weight to keep it on the bottom.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Use squid for bait to catch flounder. Then use the bellies of the flounder for bait.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
    I'll be on the Kenai Peninsula in July and would like to surf fish for halibut from the Homer Spit. Any info. on tackle, tides, bait, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi! Im trying the same thing during the first week of July!
    I read a few times that its hard to reach the spots where the halibut are but that it is still possible.

The gear Im going to use is a 10/11 foot surf rod (not sure what length it is). Its super sturdy. I have a bait casting reel that has 400 yrds of 80lb test.

Im from the east coast so this is how I surf fish: I put a 8-10 oz pyramid weight on a slider (not sure that its called a 'slider'. Its a plastic tube that allows the pyramid weight to slide back and forth on your main line. Here's a link to what Im talking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Braid-Power-...ayphotohosting
    )

Anyways, yeah, I put a 'slider' onto an 8-10 oz weight on the main line, then tie a strong swivel to the end of it. On the other end of the swivel, Ill tie 80lb mono. About 18-24 inches. At the end of that mono leader, I tie on a size 6/0 - 10-0 hook.

For bait, to avoid the smaller fish, I will catch a flounder, and Im gonna use a HUGE chunk of him. Probably split him in two, and use the head side. This obviously depends on the size of the flounder. Using the head side, Im gonna hook him through the lips so the bait doesnt come off the hook.

Then, Ill toss as far as I can, loosen my drag, and wait for the reel so start: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Thats when I know something big has taken my bait!

The reason I use the slider is that the halibut wont feel the weight when he takes the bait. I dont know if these fish are smart but when he picks up the bait, he will feel no resistance and he'll swim off with it.

Ill count 5,4,3,2, 1 while the reel is screaming to set the hook. Sometimes, they just play with their food (some fish do, not sure about butts). Anyways, I just wait to make sure he's got the hook in his mouth.

Thats just the way Im doing it. I know there are other people out there who know A LOT more about surf fishing for halibut than I do, so you may want to take their advice. Im just doing it this way because thats how I used to fish for big stripers out East.

I will sometimes put a bell on the tip of my rod as well to hear if a fish is 'playing' with the bait. Sometimes you'll get little fish picking your bait apart, so I reel in a couple of times to get them off it.

What nice about this fishing is that you can have lunch, or a cold drink, and the whole time, you're fishing!! Or at least waiting for a fish to take the bait.

Im sure patience will pay off!

Oh yeah, last thing...

If you're there during the the last week of june or early July, let me know. I might rent a kayak to paddle my bait past all the little fish, and drop it where (hopefully) the bigger fish are. As well, if there's a big fish that takes my bait, I can follow him with the Kayak if Im running out of yards!

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Hi! Im trying the same thing during the first week of July!
    I read a few times that its hard to reach the spots where the halibut are but that it is still possible.

The gear Im going to use is a 10/11 foot surf rod (not sure what length it is). Its super sturdy. I have a bait casting reel that has 400 yrds of 80lb test.

Im from the east coast so this is how I surf fish: I put a 8-10 oz pyramid weight on a slider (not sure that its called a 'slider'. Its a plastic tube that allows the pyramid weight to slide back and forth on your main line. Here's a link to what Im talking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Braid-Power-...ayphotohosting
    )

Anyways, yeah, I put a 'slider' onto an 8-10 oz weight on the main line, then tie a strong swivel to the end of it. On the other end of the swivel, Ill tie 80lb mono. About 18-24 inches. At the end of that mono leader, I tie on a size 6/0 - 10-0 hook.

For bait, to avoid the smaller fish, I will catch a flounder, and Im gonna use a HUGE chunk of him. Probably split him in two, and use the head side. This obviously depends on the size of the flounder. Using the head side, Im gonna hook him through the lips so the bait doesnt come off the hook.

Then, Ill toss as far as I can, loosen my drag, and wait for the reel so start: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Thats when I know something big has taken my bait!

The reason I use the slider is that the halibut wont feel the weight when he takes the bait. I dont know if these fish are smart but when he picks up the bait, he will feel no resistance and he'll swim off with it.

Ill count 5,4,3,2, 1 while the reel is screaming to set the hook. Sometimes, they just play with their food (some fish do, not sure about butts). Anyways, I just wait to make sure he's got the hook in his mouth.

Thats just the way Im doing it. I know there are other people out there who know A LOT more about surf fishing for halibut than I do, so you may want to take their advice. Im just doing it this way because thats how I used to fish for big stripers out East.

I will sometimes put a bell on the tip of my rod as well to hear if a fish is 'playing' with the bait. Sometimes you'll get little fish picking your bait apart, so I reel in a couple of times to get them off it.

What nice about this fishing is that you can have lunch, or a cold drink, and the whole time, you're fishing!! Or at least waiting for a fish to take the bait.

Im sure patience will pay off!

Oh yeah, last thing...

If you're there during the the last week of june or early July, let me know. I might rent a kayak to paddle my bait past all the little fish, and drop it where (hopefully) the bigger fish are. As well, if there's a big fish that takes my bait, I can follow him with the Kayak if Im running out of yards!

Hope that helps.
    I won't be there until the fourth week in July, but post here and let me know how you did. I have fished the spit before and caught plenty of flounder, but I've never gotten out far enough for halibut.

This guy is waiting for you guys.

See ya in July.

Attached Images Attached Images

I wonder how many of those people claiming that they are catching halibut are probably catching sole.

You boys are better off saving up a couple of hundy and taking a half day charter out to Compass Rose - you'll have alot more fun

But dont let that stop ya, there will be plently of cod around to keep you busy.

I have only ever seen about four halibut caught of the spit. like I said the biggest was about 15" maybe 1.5 pounds there is no mistaking them they are more slender than flounder at that size although thicker and still smell like a halibut, plus their skin is silky smooth not any sole or 80 grit flounder.

I have seen photographs of larger halibut caught on the spit. Here is a link to a site where someone is discussing surf casting Alaska. I have tried his e-mail and website and neither work but there is good information and specifics on rigging.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I have caught small halibut from the spit. I have also caught some decent pollack. If it were me, depending on how far you can cast. I might try the opposite side from the ferry dock. I have one spot I would like to try, but I can't cast far enough with the rod I have. You may be able to with that monster though. The water drops off really deep right at the ferry dock is why people fish it. The other side is much shallower but IMO would be better for halibut assuming one could cast far enough. Biggest halibut I've ever caught was caught less than 500 yds from shore down there in 40 feet of water.

i'm heading to the spit this weekend. Cant wait. I have surf casting rods and a couple of penn battle with braided line. Pyramid waits and and and assortment of my own jigs. Never thrown out at the spit in fact i've never been to homer. driving down friday night and hoping for a good day saturday. Anyplace to pick up bait ie, houlagan, hearing, squid this early in the season in homer?

Holligan are primarily personal use fish that people catch themselves. I know they catch them commercially but I have never seen them for sale in the stores.
    The Gear Shed in Homer should have bait. If the Sport shed on the spit is open they should have it also.
    I know Sportsmans in Soldotna has it and Trustworthy may as well.
    Too bad I am on the slope or I would gift you a bag of Hooligan and possibly hook you up with some weights sinker slides etc.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

AKJOE, give me a call I'll give you some Hooligan. Roland 262-7837 I live in Soldotna.

I'd consider buying a pack gulp anything. in pieces or whole, they work 99% as good as any bait I have used on the spit for the fish like cod pollock, sole, etc. They stay on the hook MUCH better than herring. And at 10 bucks a tray, the herring is just insanely expensive.

I've heard people use pork chop pieces with pretty good results to. Maybe take a look in the refrigerator for leftovers...

You won't catch as many sole or irish lords. But if it's predominantly pollock and cod you are after, a large spoon allowed to flutter to the bottom after you cast it is pretty effective and better casting practice.

017.jpg

Always a good time fishing the Spit

Spit pollock and Irish lords? Hope you like your worms with a side of fish

Might be better at whiskey gulch?

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Might be better at whiskey gulch?
    I would say, yes. It would be better at Whiskey Gulch.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    017.jpg

Always a good time fishing the Spit
    Holy appetite killing photo....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast