Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMUs overlay on Topo 2008 software

Question GMUs overlay on Topo 2008 software

Is their a way to get Alaska GMUs to overlay on Topo 2008 software?

Default nat geo?

are you talking about the nat geo topo maps or another product?

if you mean the nat geo then check this link and just download them.
    http://www.trailsillustrated.com/topo/gmu.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by sbiinc View Post
    are you talking about the nat geo topo maps or another product?

if you mean the nat geo then check this link and just download them.
    http://www.trailsillustrated.com/topo/gmu.cfm
    No, my Topo software is by Mapsource (Garmin). Is there a way to make your link work?

Unhappy Oh Ratfarts!!!

i was all excited... but there seems to be an "apple issue"... guess these files are for PC?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    Is their a way to get Alaska GMUs to overlay on Topo 2008 software?
    Depending on the format you get the GMU's in, will depend on how to do it. Most state info is in .shp files. ArcView is a common program used by the GIS folks.

Now go to this site. http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_...words=gpsbabel

Download GPSbabel or Gebabbel.
    I use gpsbabel, but it is command line so you might try Gebabbel, which is GUI (think windows).

Ok, now using gpsbabel you can convert the .tpo file to .gpx (or garmins .gdb). I believe Topo 2008 reads .gpx files. I have the older version.

Now that you have it in .gpx or .gbd, open the file with topo 2008. The GMU will be track files. You can load them from topo 2008 to your Garmin GPSr.

Garmin has a limit on how many track points you can load in a track from topo 2008.
    I think it's 500. I'll have to check on that for you. You will need to delete some of the track points to get below the 500 (or whatever the limit is). If it has more points topo 2008 will take out the extra points. But if you do it, the track will be better.
    Sounds geeky, but just takes a few clicks.

I'm on dialup and the Alaska Gmu file is 3.3mb. So i didn't test this for Alaska. I've done it many times with Forest Service info from .shp files, so it does work.
    If you have problems I'll go to town and download the Alaska GMU convert and send to you.
    Also you most likely will only want the GMU's you are hunting in so you don't take up all your tracks.
    doug
    Last edited by Brian M; 04-14-2008 at 22:06.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i was all excited... but there seems to be an "apple issue"... guess these files are for PC?
    Gpsbabel has a mac version also. If Garmin topo works on macs shouldn't be a problem.
    Dual boot if it doesn't.
    doug

If anyone has trouble making this work, I'd be glad to put them in Garmin or any other format that you would need.
    It's best to leave all the GMU's on your map progam, then just load the GMU your hunting in.

I'm home working on TAXES today, when I'm done with that I can help on the GMU's.

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    Depending on the format you get the GMU's in, will depend on how to do it. Most state info is in .shp files. ArcView is a common program used by the GIS folks.

Now go to this site. http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_...words=gpsbabel

Download GPSbabel or Gebabbel.
    I use gpsbabel, but it is command line so you might try Gebabbel, which is GUI (think windows).

Ok, now using gpsbabel you can convert the .tpo file to .gpx (or garmins .gdb). I believe Topo 2008 reads .gpx files. I have the older version.

Now that you have it in .gpx or .gbd, open the file with topo 2008. The GMU will be track files. You can load them from topo 2008 to your Garmin GPSr.

Garmin has a limit on how many track points you can load in a track from topo 2008.
    I think it's 500. I'll have to check on that for you. You will need to delete some of the track points to get below the 500 (or whatever the limit is). If it has more points topo 2008 will take out the extra points. But if you do it, the track will be better.
    Sounds geeky, but just takes a few clicks.

I'm on dialup and the Alaska Gmu file is 3.3mb. So i didn't test this for Alaska. I've done it many times with Forest Service info from .shp files, so it does work.
    If you have problems I'll go to town and download the Alaska GMU convert and send to you.
    Also you most likely will only want the GMU's you are hunting in so you don't take up all your tracks.
    doug

OK, I downloaded the file from the link.
    Well it didn't work!!! All I got was waypoints for the GMU.
    I'll have to call Alaska fish & game to get there shape files.
    Anybody have a 800 phone number for fish & game?
    Last edited by Brian M; 04-14-2008 at 22:07.

Here is the contact info for F&G. http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/contacts...hp#phonefaxtty

Would be very intersted in the file if you can get it to work.

Here is the contact info for F&G. http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/contacts...hp#phonefaxtty

Would be very intersted in the file if you can get it to work.
    Just got it to work!!!
    I didn't follow my own directions!
    The files aren't to big. I can email them.

Can you post them to the thread? I am sure lots of folks would be interested in the file.

Can you post them to the thread? I am sure lots of folks would be interested in the file.
    Each GMU is a separate file.
    Pick a GMU I'll convert and post.
    Walk me thru on how to post the file.

On edit I think I attached GMU 14A
    Attached Files Attached Files

Humm.. Perhaps it is me, but all I got was a text box in what I think is GMU 14A. ?? Am I missing something?

Humm.. Perhaps it is me, but all I got was a text box in what I think is GMU 14A. ?? Am I missing something?
    I right clicked the .zip file, opened in new tab, save to disc. Then I unzipped and opened with Mapsource. The track has 1998 track points. Break it into four tracks to get to your GPSr.

I had it the 1st time I just did not realize it! : ) Cool stuff! Can you do GMU12? The software and GPS is all fairly new to me... There is a lot to learn! Thanks for sharing!

I had it the 1st time I just did not realize it! : ) Cool stuff! Can you do GMU12? The software and GPS is all fairly new to me... There is a lot to learn! Thanks for sharing!
    Here's GMU 12.

GMU 16B would be great if you have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by 79FSJ View Post
    GMU 16B would be great if you have a chance.
    GMU 16B.
    Remember if you load these into your GPS, Mapsource Topo will shorten the tracks to 500 trackpoints. So, before you load, zoom in on the track and delete as many points as possible that won't effect the boundary to much. Then break the track into several smaller ones that have less than 500 points each.
    doug

Default nice

awesome job travelers,

i'm gonna go home and play with it. i use nat geo to plan almost every trip i do but because it doesn't support loading files to any gps except the magellen triton so i have to deal with the mapsource files.
    i have made some tracks on nat geo and tried to import them to mapsource to download to my gps unsuccesfully but this will make it a world easier to do so.

thanks again,
    sbi

Lightbulb Thanks!

Travelers -- thanks a million.
    I imported all the borders (tracks) and center marks (waypoints) all into Mapsource as well as Google Earth.

Couldn't get GMU 10 to import... something about the 50 coordinate being invalid. Ugh. Made it tedious, had to import each GMU and sub unit individually, as the overlay file had the same glitch.

Thanks again -- makes the tools available much more informative!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast