Thread: Plane for

Default Plane for

Flying lessons flying lessons, Just started flying lessons and its not a cheap endvour. Im thinking about buying something to learn in and log some hours, will sell and upgrade at a later when Im ready for something more. Any recommendations for a training plane? Tri or tail dragger either or

T-craft, J-3, Pa-11, c-120 and 140, c-150/152, Pa-20/22, chiefs champs. They will all allow you a cheap entry into flying. But.....May not have the avionics to do the whole private course. Not really a big deal as you could do the other required parts in a rental and you would not only save money but have a plane to fly when you want to. Even with GPS you still need time with VOR and ADF to get your private ticket. They are a big part of both the written and check ride. Most 150/152 would probably be set up as a trainer as that is what they are mostly used for. Also a lot of CFI's will really want to know your airplane before they instruct in it.
    If you want to fly a taildragger, I would recommend a C-120/140 or Pa-20 with enough of a panel that you could do the whole private and then fly it and build hours toward your instrument and commercial. It just comes down to what you want and what your goals are. You could buy a T-crate and do all your solo stuff and cross countries, but would have to rent to get the VOR/ADF reqirements. Also you would have to rent to do you night time flights and night cross countries if the T-Crate didn't have electric. I think you would save money though in the long run by buying a plane that didn't meet the all the requirements and using it for a lot of the training as opposed to renting and then not having a plane to fly when you get your ticket. Remmber to that all the mentioned taildraggers can be fitted with skis. Lots of fun this winter after you get your private and a fun way to build time.

Default Thanks

for all the info. How can I research costs for maintianing, Annuals, Overhauls and such?

I would look at CITABRIA’s as I think they have the inst package you would need. As for the maint info I plan on spending $300/month on my airplane. If I use it its gone, if I don’t I put it in the bank and it is there for the annual. Annuals start at $150 a cylinder and usual add another 15% per annual and you are good. Some will be more depending on what you need and some stuff you can do on your own. Buying the airplane is the inexpensive part keeping it gets expensive. However I would tell you that you will fly way more if you own your own than if you rent. Two other cost saving things:
    1. Consider a plan that can run on 87 Octane (Car gas). I don’t run on strait car gas I mix mine 50/50 car/avgas.
    2. Get a fuel tank that you can purchase fuel from Suburban Propane and save $1.00 a gallon. It will pay for itself in a year.

Just my $0.02

Drew