Thread: Frame Packs?

Default Frame Packs?

Those of you, who use frame packs, do you leave the top bar on or off? And discuss why you do what you do? I'm considering taking mine off, this year. One to save weight (mind you not that much, but some) and two, it gets in the way in tight spaces. The only good reason, I can see, to keep it on is to lash stuff to i.e. game, equipment, etc.... Give your reasons for on or off. Thanks.

Default Top Bar

The first thing I did when I got my Barney's pack was take out the pins that hold the bag on the frame and then pushed the top bar as far down into the frame as possible. I then drilled new holes for the pins to go thru. This lowers the profile for going thru alders but allows you to raise the top bar to the normal position when you need it to lash gear to it.

I leave it in, that way when i'm packing out a hindquarter I have something else to lash it too and keep it steady.

Default leave it in

I leave it in, so when packing out have the option of tying things to it.
    I do like the above post about pushing it down further and drilling new holes to improve clearance when hiking - taking care of that tonight.

Default Good Idea!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    The first thing I did when I got my Barney's pack was take out the pins that hold the bag on the frame and then pushed the top bar as far down into the frame as possible. I then drilled new holes for the pins to go thru. This lowers the profile for going thru alders but allows you to raise the top bar to the normal position when you need it to lash gear to it.
    I just converted my braney's frame so it now has the Lo-pro top bar as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I just converted my braney's frame so it now has the Lo-pro top bar as well. Thanks for the heads up.
    If you had the Pinnacle then you wouldn't need to lash stuff to the bar you would just put it in the GIANT bag!

If I'm down in the Alders I take it off. Above treeline I leave it on for the extra tie points