Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black cloud

Default Black cloud

Wanted to know how many of you are going to switch the black cloud load this season? You really think the flight stopper and wad control will make that much of a difference? I thinking of buying a box just to give it a try.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I used some on the opener mixed in with some regular shot. Opening day shooting is a little too close range for black cloud. I literally cut a duck in half with it, only a little peice of skin holding it together.

Looking at the price of it and the rest of the steel shot after the most recent price increase, I won't be shooting it in the future, nor will I be shooting 3 1/2" steel. Looks like 3" #2's for me. I still like my kents, I am willing to pay a little more for them.

Yeah here at Sportsman's they were selling it $22. a box
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'll try a box, I shoot Hevy-Shot on Honkers, drops them like nothing else but it is expensive.

Default Early and late season loads

Early season we shoot rem sportsman loads .lots of them.
    later in the season with the bigger birds we use hevi.shot or Kent's.
    we were shooting late season birds with the sportsman steel and knocking them down ,only to have the pups run out and flush them back up.I would walk out and find a good blood trail in the snow ! When hevi steel came out it made a big difference ,drop dead! my Buddy's switch
    I would like to try a box of the black clouds ! if they work we well switch!
    Shells well be one of the lease expensive things this year ,with fuel cost !

I bought two boxes to try this comin' season. We'll see!
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default Black cloud

I used it last year. Worked outstanding! I'll be using it again this year.

Everything I read about it and friends that have use it say its great it drops them dead. I got a case before the price went up so Ill be using it.

I'm defintally going to get a box, why not, probably will actually get a case and find a choke that patterns well with it too.

I guess this could actually be said in another post, but I think if most people would learn to shoot and learn the distance limitations of their loads then you wouldn't have to worry about buying all the hevi steel, black cloud, tungsten matrix, hevi shot, etc etc etc.

I'm 31 years old and never knew the days of lead shot for waterfowl. That being said I started with steel and continue to use it today. I kill on average 250 birds a year during the waterfowl season whether it be up here, down in the South East (where I grew up), or any number of the other 16 states that I've hunted in. I can't say that I've never had a cripple or lost a bird, but it doesn't happen regularly enough for me to justify paying double for my shells! I find that most peoples biggest issue is not enough practise. Hell, I don't even use an aftermarket choke. Just the good old modified tube that comes with the gun I shoot.

I'll be sticking with my Kent Faststeel 3" #2's for ducks and 3 1/2" BB's for geese.

True and I agree but on average how many shots does it take for you to kill a bird? Wouldn't you want to try and find out if there's a shell choke combo out there that could take a duck out with one shot even if its a poor shot. It might be a big up from cost issue but in the long run it would pay off.
    Last edited by LaRedneck; 06-23-2008 at 14:18. Reason: can't spell

Generally it only takes me one shot to take out a duck, because I know how far my shotgun will reach, and how far it won't. If the ducks are out of range, or close to being out of range I won't take the shot. Plus I am an avid skeet shooter, so I stay in practice year round. I'm not saying I kill every bird I shoot at, or don't have some get away sometimes. And the bird is not always dead when it hits the water. But that is what the dog is for. I agree with Ring King 100%, practice shooting as often as possible and know what your gun can and cannot do. I'll stick to federal 2 3/4 #2's for ducks and 3" BBB's for geese.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I've never worked out the numbers to see what my exact percentage is, but I'll put my shooting up against any other duck hunters who care to make a trip. I've shown over the years that I shoot well above average and I attribute that to the amount of shooting I do year round. Skeet and sporting clays help, but nothing beats shooting at a live target to hone the skills. I'm fortunate enough to have a job that lets me spend more days in the field than most and I cherish everyone of them!

Well for i'm not that fortunate, i'm thrilled if I can get 30 days in so i'm that type of person that has to take advantage of everything that comes around that could make a difference. I've been in Iraq since Janurary so I havn't picked up a shotgun in many months. I do get back soon but got some major fishing to do, guess I need to get my priorites straight.

I hear ya! That's the problem with duck season opening on Sept 1st! The silvers are running and it's bear and moose season!!

Where in Louisiana are you from? I moved up here from New Orleans. Actually from Chalmette.

Born in West Monroe, lived all over north La. throughout my schooling

Yeah I know what you mean about all the seasons coming together at once. I usually go alone for a while till my buddies get done moose hunting and I can't or don't go in certain places because I know people are moose hunting there and don't really want to piss them off you know.

Default Wildfowl mag

Mr McConville and the Black cloud in the new wildfowl mag. ood articles and worth a read.

Default Rules???

With moose season being open at the same time as duck season are there any rules against parking my camo'ed boat setting out my dekes and sitting there all the while having a 45-70 in the boat? If bullwinkle walks out into my marsh I could end up with one heck of a mixed bag. (hmmmm maybe I should cast out a line with some row and a spinnin-glo and hope for a silver to swim by and take it too) Some of the area I hunt have moose wandering all over I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an obscure rule against hunting migratory birds and big game at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tealer View Post
    With moose season being open at the same time as duck season are there any rules against parking my camo'ed boat setting out my dekes and sitting there all the while having a 45-70 in the boat? If bullwinkle walks out into my marsh I could end up with one heck of a mixed bag. (hmmmm maybe I should cast out a line with some row and a spinnin-glo and hope for a silver to swim by and take it too) Some of the area I hunt have moose wandering all over I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an obscure rule against hunting migratory birds and big game at the same time.

If you have lead shot loads for the 45-70 you would be in trouble.

There are no rules about this. Just make sure you are in a unit that you have the right permit/tag for and have fun. Of course taking a moose in a swamp is a type of pure joy that everyone needs to experience at least once. Or not.

Default Bullwinkle????

Hey Tealer, just tell me exactly where that marsh is and I will be sure to stay far away. (yeah, right)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast