Thread: Rookie Question!

Default Rookie Question!

Well I won the TC Encore 209x50 cal muzzle loader magnum last night at the AMF Dinner last night. Heres the question......

HOW THE HECK DO YOU OPERATE THIS THING ?

I know nothing about these guns so can ya give me a crash coarse? Do these take powder? if so what kind? bullets? primers? I need it all. It also came with the .30-06 barrel ( I know how horrible ) are the .50 cal and the .30-06 bullets loaded with the same powders/primers?

Thanks in advance.
    Curt

Congratulations! The 30-06 barrel has factory loaded ammo, cartridges (case, bullet, powder and primers, assembled.) 20 to the box for about $40 just about anywhere outdoor stuff is sold. The 209X50 means it takes shotgun primers#209, and it is 50 caliber. It is designed to use a type of bullet that is slightly smaller than the bore (.510") with a soft palstic "holder" called a Sabot. ( A French work that means shoe) pronounced say-bo. The bullet diameter will be about .452". Generally folks use a propellant called Pyrodex or Tripple seven, both can also be found at many of the outdoors specialty shops. You will essentially assemble the "cartridge" as you load it from the muzzle. For best results you should join a club. This is difficult to explain with out show and tell. There is a F&G class that I think teaches the basics of muzzle loading that may be useful. I refer you to our muzzler loading forum. Or you could list the whole thing on our swap and sell forum.

The 30-06 barrel makes this a complete modern rifle and useful for all manner of game if you want to hunt.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Or you could list the whole thing on our swap and sell forum.
    O are you funny! ..... Thanks for the info Murphy! I'm sure it won't be to hard to learn, thanks for the info.

Default Way to Go!

Hey Curt,

Congrats on winning the TC Encore! Nice to get a break after all that happened this winter.

I have an older TC muzzleloader, but perhaps I can start the responses. Read the manual carefully, as the muzzleloader and .30-06 will operate differently - you should be able to load regular 06 ammo in the 06 barrel, and not worry about powder/primers.etc.

As for the muzzle loader, I use Pyrodex pellets in mine, along with 240 grain bullets. The pelletr are easier to work with than powder, so I use them. When you buy bullets, make sure the bullet pack also has the sabots (red or green plastic sleeves that surroun the bulley when you stuff it down the barrel). I use 209 shotgun primers in my muzzleloader, your manual should tell you which types will work with your gun.

Load the powder (or pyrodex pellets) first, dropping them down the barrel from the muzzle; then place the bullet (covered by the sabot) in the muzzle, shove it down 1-2 inches with the short hand-held T-starter, and then shove it all the way down with the ramrod ticked under the muzzleloader barrel.

Muzzleloader powder is pretty corrosive, so check the manual for recommended cleaning instructions. The latest muzzleloaders are good out to 200 yards or so with 3 pyrodex pellets (a magnum charge), and can be pretty accurate with the right powder/bullet combo.

That's good starter info, I'm sure others will have more to add. Congrats and let us know how you like it!

Congrats on the smoke pole! It is nice to see some truly good news come out of the AKDSLDOG camp, and just in time for bear season too!