Thread: Fishing Aug 17th-Aug 21st What's Avail?

Default Fishing Aug 17th-Aug 21st What's Avail?

What freshwater fish could be had during this time? This will be my last week to spend in Alaska before coming back to Idaho? I don't need a guide, just looking for some info to help plan my last days in Alaska. Thanks for any info!
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Default Depends

It all depends on where you will be. This is prime time for fall rainbow and dolly varden fishing, as well as grayling.

Also, on the Kenai Peninsula you will be able to find coho and pink salmon and possibly some stragglers for sockeye at the Russian.

The stillwater will still be great.

By the way, you won't need a guide to find great fishing for any of these (though it does help).

So, let us know what areas of Alaska you will be and we can be a bit more specific with the help.

Good luck

In that time frame you can catch:

Reds, Silvers, Chums, Pinks, Rainbows, Dollies, Pike, Burbot, Grayling, Halibut, Rockfish, Lingcod, Irish Lords, Flounder, Pretty much everything but kings.

I like rainbow fishing and that is the best week for rainbow fishing on the Russian period.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    It all depends on where you will be. This is prime time for fall rainbow and dolly varden fishing, as well as grayling.

Also, on the Kenai Peninsula you will be able to find coho and pink salmon and possibly some stragglers for sockeye at the Russian.

The stillwater will still be great.

By the way, you won't need a guide to find great fishing for any of these (though it does help).

So, let us know what areas of Alaska you will be and we can be a bit more specific with the help.

Good luck
    I will be visiting family in North Pole. Willing to travel to get into some good fishing before I return to Idaho.

Default Great...

I don't know much about Fairbanks salmon fishing, other than Clearwater Creek for silvers, but you will likely need a boat and/or guide to hit it good there. There is great grayling fishing in the Fairbanks area at many of the waterways in and out of town.

The Kenai is about 10 hours from Fairbanks... so I don't know if that is within the realm of your possibilities or not. Mat-Su Valley is roughly 6 hours and will have some excellent trout fishing opportunities and possibly some good silver fishing. The Denali Highway will be great for grayling and berry picking.

Good luck

I don't know much about Fairbanks salmon fishing, other than Clearwater Creek for silvers, but you will likely need a boat and/or guide to hit it good there. There is great grayling fishing in the Fairbanks area at many of the waterways in and out of town.

The Kenai is about 10 hours from Fairbanks... so I don't know if that is within the realm of your possibilities or not. Mat-Su Valley is roughly 6 hours and will have some excellent trout fishing opportunities and possibly some good silver fishing. The Denali Highway will be great for grayling and berry picking.

Good luck
    Distance is not that big of an issue. I was hoping to do some silver fishing, if it is available somewhere?

Default silver fishing

Search this site for silver fishing in Clearwater Creek out of Delta and see what you can find.

Otherwise, if you feel like a trek to Southcentral Alaska (Mat-Su, Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula) you should be able to find some good silver fishing. The Mat-Su silver fishing has been in a bit of a decline recently and is very contentious on many threads on this forum. Seward should be excellent from the shore, just find where everyone else is fishing, likely casting spinners and spoons. The Kenai Peninsula rivers and streams will have silvers by the time of your trip, however the pinks will be in full force as well. If I were going to fish from the bank of the Kenai river for silvers in August, I would look to Cunningham park in Kenai, possibly at Centennial Park but a bit on the early side for the upper sections of the river.

The Kasilof should also be good for silvers.. go to the bridge on the Sterling highway and follow the trail upriver about a mile and you will see where folks are fishing. Again, spinners/spoons or even plunking bait.

I am expecting it will take you a day's drive each way from Fairbanks however. Nevertheless, camping spots should be readily available in August, as would be cabins/b&b's or other lodging. The weather is a bit unpredictable in the fall, so be prepared for heavy sun or heavy rain.

Good luck

Dang, this thread disappointed me. I was ready to respond, "48 inch king salmon in Juneau!"

Alas, he is heading for parts north and inland.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Dang, this thread disappointed me. I was ready to respond, "48 inch king salmon in Juneau!"

Alas, he is heading for parts north and inland.
    If you'll be my guide, I'm all for it. j/k

Search this site for silver fishing in Clearwater Creek out of Delta and see what you can find.

Otherwise, if you feel like a trek to Southcentral Alaska (Mat-Su, Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula) you should be able to find some good silver fishing. The Mat-Su silver fishing has been in a bit of a decline recently and is very contentious on many threads on this forum. Seward should be excellent from the shore, just find where everyone else is fishing, likely casting spinners and spoons. The Kenai Peninsula rivers and streams will have silvers by the time of your trip, however the pinks will be in full force as well. If I were going to fish from the bank of the Kenai river for silvers in August, I would look to Cunningham park in Kenai, possibly at Centennial Park but a bit on the early side for the upper sections of the river.

The Kasilof should also be good for silvers.. go to the bridge on the Sterling highway and follow the trail upriver about a mile and you will see where folks are fishing. Again, spinners/spoons or even plunking bait.

I am expecting it will take you a day's drive each way from Fairbanks however. Nevertheless, camping spots should be readily available in August, as would be cabins/b&b's or other lodging. The weather is a bit unpredictable in the fall, so be prepared for heavy sun or heavy rain.

Good luck
    As for the spoons you are talking about, are they the same spoons used for pinks in Valdez in July?