Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the longest anyone has fished for Kings Straight?

Thumbs up What is the longest anyone has fished for Kings Straight?

I would have to say for me it was about 18 hours straight. Granted I did eat a sandwich and drink a couple energy drinks. Never left the water though. Sheep creek. Can't wait to do it all over again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonMan View Post
    I would have to say for me it was about 18 hours straight. Granted I did eat a sandwich and drink a couple energy drinks. Never left the water though. Sheep creek. Can't wait to do it all over again this year.
    18 hours? Nice!
    Did you get a lot of fish?

12 hours or so... King fishing is overrated
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

10 hours is about it for me, did fight 1 for 6 hours once though!

Did a quite a few 12 hour days last summer on the Kenai. We have our own boat and fished kings with bait (drifting) around the Big Eddy area. Considering the average time it take unguided anglers, we did okay. Can't wait to do it again! Honestly, those 12 hour days were not "straight" in the pure interpretation of the thread, we stopped for potty breaks, stretch the legs, and combined some red fishing in there too. So no, not 12 hours straight; although I did completely drink a large thermos of coffee (the biggest Nissan model Cabela's sells) by myself and had that sucker empty by about 1:00 pm, does that count for something? You know, those cold days on the river (even in the summer) just drain the heat out of you, especially in the wind & rain; does anyone feel sorry for me yet???
    Jim

6 hours with out taking a break...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Talking fishing

For me it would have to be around 12 to 14 hrs on the water with some small breaks to get another beer from the cooler!
    Life is great
    Big Daddy

Default 30 hrs

All day then all that night and most of the next day. Around 30 hrs. It used to be a ritual. Me and a buddy would do it every year on summer solstice. Most I ever caught in that time period was 9, and the least was 4. Always lost more than we landed. We would take breaks to eat a hotdog at camp, and slam some energy drinks. After sleeping for 14 hrs to recover our knees would be almost impossible to bend from all the standing in cold water.

I've trolled commercially for 18 hours, trolled for sport for nearly 20 hours, and guided (trolling) for a full 12 hours once... (that was a feat, actually... put lines in the water right at the dock, and trolled all the way around Douglas and all the way into the slip downtown... caught somewhere just over 2 per hour, lost 5, released 20 and kept enough for the dinner table.

Does a 42-hour shift on the slime line grading kings at Taku Smokeries count?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Longest for me was at Willow creek. I caught 24 kings in 20 hours (counting the nap). Lost at least twice that many if not more. Took about a 1.5 to 2 hour nap late in the afternoon cause it gave me a nice burn. Nap must have been around 2pm to 4pm ish. So before the nap would have been 14 hours straight. Although I think my catch rate went up after the nap. I just couldnt go any longer. All my friends left after about the first eight hours.

Those were fun times cause at least four of those fish were over 40 pounds and I think one went 50ish. I gave the biggest fish away to a happy gal on the bank and went home.

------

I was with a co-worker who was talking about fishing willow and I asked him what his best day was. He replied 36 kings in 16 hours. He said he catches just over half the fish he hooks. He uses 40lb line and 50+ leader. I used 25 lb line and 40# leader.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Longest for me was at Willow creek. I caught 24 kings in 20 hours (counting the nap).

------

I was with a co-worker who was talking about fishing willow and I asked him what his best day was. He replied 36 kings in 16 hours. He said he catches .
    Is this normal? Because if it is, you need to bring me fishing!
    Ill take 3 of those 5 hour energy drinks if I have too!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    10 hours is about it for me, did fight 1 for 6 hours once though!
    Was the other 4 hours recovery time?

I fought a king for 45 minutes and thought I was gonna die...couldn't even imagine 6 hours....is this a big fish story?

Back in 1988, I once went 40 hours of king fishing at Deep Creek without a wink of sleep. Obviously the 40 hours included bathroom breaks and meals... just no sleep.

Anymore, I try to limit myself to no more than 19 hours between power-naps during king season.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Is this normal? Because if it is, you need to bring me fishing!
    Ill take 3 of those 5 hour energy drinks if I have too!!
    There is nothing normal about salmon fishing.

I once fished the Homer spit pond on July second and it was opened for snagging. The pond was full of fish and I had never tried snagging them before. I went at it for a couple hours and never caught a fish and messed up my new C4 Abu reel.
    I gave up and waited for dusk around 11PM and returned with a K-15 kwikfish. Caught 8 kings in two hours. Fished the kwikfish about a foot under the surface only casting about 15 feet from shore.

I would trade a hundred kings for one of these though. 89 pounds.

This fish does not fit your fish calculator fishNphysician. It was over 57" with a 39" girth.

Default glory days

the glory days are faded memories now, but I've had some marathon weekends. I have spent many 24 hour plus days fishing, but a couple stretches really stand out. One week, in 5 days I worked 48 hours, slept 7, and drove or fished the rest. I had over 60 hours with a line in the water. And boy did the fishing rock! Before I had responsibilities I would spend every weekend at the Willow, fishing till I was asleep on my feet, then stagger to the car for 2 hours, and right back at it. Sometimes my nap has just come right on the bank.

Unhappy My arm hurts

I fished about 16 hours straight once at Clear Creek. I was not going home empty handed! Finally landed one... was an overall slow day for everyone out there. I believe it was the last day of the season (Jul 13th). Oh, I did get something else out of it.... I had to get a steriod cocktial for fisherman's elbow. Was so bad, I could not even lift a liter of coke with losing my grip. Heck, what's a little pain, when your fishn away??

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    Was the other 4 hours recovery time?

I fought a king for 45 minutes and thought I was gonna die...couldn't even imagine 6 hours....is this a big fish story?
    A 57 lbs. king decided to engulf my buddies herring while we were fishing for silvers with light gear, basically steelhead rods with 8lbs. Maxima mainline. Near Ketchikan, 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I would trade a hundred kings for one of these though. 89 pounds.

This fish does not fit your fish calculator fishNphysician. It was over 57" with a 39" girth.
    Au contraire...

That's actually one of two high profile fish caught in the same year that fit the fNp formula to a tee. The correct dimensions on that fish were 57 x 34 (not 39).... which comes out to 89.04 pounds. The other big fish that year (considerably fresher, brighter, and more rotund) was Mel Erickson's 87 pounder that measured 55 x 34.... which comes out to 85.92 on the fNp formula. Will try to post a pic later tonight.

Kenai kings generally have phenotypic 3 x 5 proportions. A king with a 39 inch girth would be expected to measure about 65 inches long, give or take an inch.

Just for reference the world record fish measured 59 x 37.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Guess the records were wrong.

According to Alaska Department of Fish & Game records, Fred's big king was the seventh largest landed and the very largest King Salmon caught in the last five years. Several other extremely large salmon were caught earlier in the season, including an 83 pound fish and an 87 pounder. The girth on Fred's fish was 39 inches and measured over 57 inches in length.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast