Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Fox - Vibrax - Spinners

Default Blue Fox - Vibrax - Spinners

Hi all,

From June until August I will be lucky enough to target all 5 salmon species. Im in central Oregon right now and there is a store here that has 20% discount on Vibrax blue fox spinners in all sizes and colors.

I would like to know what size and color do you use for pinks? Chum? Silvers? Kings? Do they work on Reds?

As well, do you use the treble hook that's already on, or do you switch to that J hook thats included.

Thanks
    Jonathan

Smile Get all sizes!

I have the best luck for kings on blue, and silvers on blue or hot pink. Don't know about chums and pinks, but pinks aren't picky! I doubt reds would go for a Vibrax.

I must say, however, that I have seen kings and silvers caught on all colors, and several years ago yellow with stripes on the spinner was hot at Ninilchik. The packages come with the single hook variant, and you might need it in some streams.

They work well. Get a couple black ones too. I don't know why they work, but when the bright ones are not, they sometimes still do.

I have not seem reds caught on them but then again i fish on the kenai and use my own flies. i know they do work for silvers and kings and I have seen some pretty aggressive chums. Pinks will hit just about anything flashy you put in front of them.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Definitely go for the #3 or #4 (I prefer #4) chartreuse green body with silver blade for Silvers. It is a killer. The hot pink with silver blade woks just as good for Silvers, in the same size. Also, try the chartreuse green body and blade that is half red. This works very well. You can not miss with these patterns. For Kings, I like the hot pink body with silver blade and the forest green body with the silver blade, in size #4 or#5. Chum hit the same as the Silvers. Reds wont hit any of these, unless you get lucky. Pinks will hit anything, literally.

Default Kodiak Custom Spinners...

While I understand the sale on Vibrax... Save some of you money for Kodiak Custom Spinners... Made in Alaska by guy who grew up in western Oregon these spinner far out preform the beloved Vibrax. The "golden eye" spinners where devoloped and tested in AK unlike the Vibrax and now they have a silicone skirt spinner too that is deadly on kings and silvers.

But, don't take my word for it... Go fishing w/ them and do your own test! Below are all nice Deep Cr Kings caught on Kodiak Custom... Keep in mind what I like best about these spinners is that they catch fish in the hands of the fisherman that are not skilled!

Default I second the kodiak custom tackle!

I think just about anyone can catch a king or silver with these lures. I catch reds all the time with vibrax spinners. At Eklutna and Jim Creek.

Nice! Where can I get those Kodiak lures? Only in Alaska I bet. Thats ok.
    It'll be like xmas when I get there.

As well, I like how you mentioned that anybody, even someone with zero skills, can use these.

Im the 0 skill guy. Im not clumsy, I learn fast, but I have never fished for salmon in a stream ever.

Im used to the stupid bluefish out in the East coast that would eat a rock if the rock had a hook on it. Or the stripers that I used to fish with clams and an open drag, sitting on a chair drinking beer, waiting for the drag to scream. I dont fool myself. I have no fishing skills, so these lures should have my name on them " Jonathan! buy me if you want to catch fish"

Im still going to get some of the Vibrex because their on sale, and with so many people using them, they have to work!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yoge View Post
    Definitely go for the #3 or #4 (I prefer #4) chartreuse green body.
    I forgot to ask, what is 'chartreuse'? Is that the fluorescent one?

Default Chartruese and Kodiak Custom Tacke...

Here is soem custom colors... chatruese is the bright candy yellow..

Kodiak Custom Tackle... Just Google and they sell the lures online... Send him mail, tell him you are from Oregon and they Ty sent you and he will hook U up!!

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post

Here is soem custom colors... chatruese is the bright candy yellow..

Kodiak Custom Tackle... Just Google and they sell the lures online... Send him mail, tell him you are from Oregon and they Ty sent you and he will hook U up!!
    You rock man!! Thanks!

Before I email him, what should I get?

Size , colors for silvers? Kings?

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    You rock man!! Thanks!

Before I email him, what should I get?

Size , colors for silvers? Kings?
    I recomend and assortment..... #5 is the most versitile... #6 is better for casting long distances and getting down in swift waters.... Colors are a person prefferance and where you are fishing thing, but there are I will give you the top six colors that I like best......

Orange / Chartruese

Orange / Pink

Silver Bullet

Golden Nugget

Pink Prism / Chartruese

Flame Red

But, go here and check out the selection.... His new hot color is Orange / Pink.... Warning these spinners really work well and can be hard to find in the summer! Don't be afraid to get some of the silicone skirt spinners, I recomend a size #6 for them due to the fact that the skirt makes them stay in the strike zone longer by sinking slower and when retrieve the added resistance of the skirt makes for slower action that the fish can't seem to resist!

Link to color chart:
    http://www.kodiakcustom.com/site/3588/default.aspx

They sure look like flashtraps....

+1 for Kodiak custom Tony does a great job

vibraxes are pretty good too and please do put the single hooks on them not only do single hooks hook and hold better but they are easier on the fish if you plan on releasing them.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Those spinners are almost to pretty to fish with.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Kodiak Custom Lures...

Tony Davis does an outstanding job on his lures. The guy is certifiable with fish on the brain and has turned his fish passions into an outstanding product line.

He made it to my Kodiak book signing event last summer. After doing way too many shots Davis wound up with my Rolex copy right off my wrist.

Obviously, this guy can catch anything...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Or, just buy the components and make your own spinners.

Take out the middle man. Why pay someone extra to do what you can already do.

Guarantee these homemade hootchie spinners would work. Well.

The size of the spinner depends on the water you are fishing. I'm guessing size 4-5's would be fine for most rivers. I like the components from RVRFSHR, of all the spinner components. The ones in the photo are all Pen-Tac components.

I have a bunch of stuff from Jack's Tackle (out of Oregon?), that I need to try - but they look good as well. Just haven't had the opportunity to use their stuff yet.

Pretty much, success with a spinner is all in the technique, really. It's all about getting that spinner down to the fish, and having that blade spin over as slow as possible without hanging up the spinner. You are basically swinging a spinner, NOT retrieving it. Lastly, is feeling the "take" of a fish on a spinner. Salmon will often just grab hold of the spinner and come with you to the boat. You basically feel the blade stop thumping...but still feel the weight of the spinner. At that point, set the hook and it's fish on.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAuthor View Post
    Tony Davis does an outstanding job on his lures. The guy is certifiable with fish on the brain and has turned his fish passions into an outstanding product line.

He made it to my Kodiak book signing event last summer. After doing way too many shots Davis wound up with my Rolex copy right off my wrist.

Obviously, this guy can catch anything...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Couldn't aggree more!!!

I disaggree w/ Parker... While almost any lure will catch fish... Proven lures will catch fish at higher frequencies and the quality of componets is very important in lure building.

Other than my own lures their is only one manufactered spinner I will buy and he uses only the best componets and will stand behind his product if there ever is any issies!

Might consider a few Blue Fox Pixies in the tackle box too.

I've done ok with pink and orange colors.

Those Kodiaks look killer! Do you use with or without the hoochie for kings?- Also do any local stores sell these?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast