Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with black bears when....

Default What do you do with black bears when....

I'm pretty sure some people like to take black bears every year but looking at the cost and space in your house seems like a normal person would not want a rug or mount made each time. In this instance what do you do with the hide?

I would just get it tanned and hang it off a hook.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

There are a lot of people who would want a rug but do not hunt black bear (you would br surprised). I try my best to see if anyone wants the bear hide and if all else fails it goes to the land fill with the bones.

I've always wanted to make a big pillow out of one of those really soft late fall or early spring bear hides.

Well before you throw the next one in the dump, post it here please.

My brother has 10-12 of them hanging in a row, much like one would hang a tanned fox or wolf pelt. I almost prefer that manner of display to a fully done rug. Tanning doesn't cost too much, either.

SOmetimes I give them away, most of the time I let my wife make oddball mounts out of them to see what looks good (shes a taxidermist). I got a real cool lifesize laying on a log on the wall this way.

Default No room for Yogi?

That's when a fella knows that it's time to add on to the house!
    Last edited by fullkurl; 10-25-2008 at 00:08.

Default bear hides

Is it legal to sell tanned or raw alaskan black bear hides in or out of the state?

Had to laugh when I saw this topic. 25 years ago I lived up on the Yetna River above the Skwentna and had black bears hides out the wazoo. They were always coming around to try and get into the cabin, bother the sled dogs, etc. Used the hides for sleeping in the winter (the best), weather gaskets for the doors and windows, etc. During the winter would shave the long hairs off pieces of hide and wrap the toilet seat in the outhouse .

Once you run out of wall space for your bear rugs you can start putting them on the ceiling.

Default Where to put them

I guess I need to add on to the house, cause I got a bear in the closet, 4 bou and a small moose and deer racks in the garage.

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I guess I need to add on to the house, cause I got a bear in the closet, 4 bou and a small moose and deer racks in the garage.
    Sounds like the bath room is still open, LOL.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Sounds like the bath room is still open, LOL.
    lol and then you could take it to the extreme and instead of taking the newspaper to read in the bathroom you could dress in camo and take your rifle and as you are sitting on the pot you could plan out your stalk on him

Pass them on to any fly tyers you know. I bet they remember you next time they sit down at their bench.

whats it cost to have a bear done like that rug witht h e head and paws on it that is pictured on the wall?

ray
    Semper Fi!

Minimum $600. That is what I paid for mine over ten years ago. It was done by a taxidermist just starting out. I got lucky and got one of the good ones that the guy did.

I was looking for prices on the web but came up with ziltch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

pretty average to see $150 to $200 per foot

$600 is unheard of these days unless you get a 3' bear - and i'd worry about the quality

Default Going Rate

I called last week to get an idea and the price averaged from $800 to $1200 depending on size and of course the taxidermist. They quoted flat rates but I'd plan on around $250 to $300 a foot. Also depends on how much work they have to do with the hide.

Save money and time. take it to the tanner yourself. When you get it back then take it to a taxidermist of your choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast