Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship Creek silvers

Default Ship Creek silvers

Since we're no strangers to combat fishing, I was wondering if silvers will be in catchable numbers mid-july into August? We usually take a few road trips to Anchorage from our home base in Sterling to shop, etc. and I'd like to try Ship. What type/weight of fishing gear is best? We've got Ambassadeurs, flyrods, spinning stuff and all kinds of lures (pixies, vibrax's, etc.)
    Any help on lure sizes, colors or how to use bait would be really appreciated. Also, since I've never actually seen Ship creek, I'm sure it's easy to find and is fishing pretty good anywhere there's people?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    PS---also during that time frame, I always see people fishing just outside Anchorage towards Girdwood; I think that's Bird creek? What are they fishing for and how does it compare to Ship creek? We fished Hope last year and had a blast, the pinks weren't as easy to catch as everyone told us! This year I've got a 6 wt. flyrod and I'll try that instead of the 8wt, since I'm not a flyfishing guy (don't know how to do anything but catch reds with it) can I use the same coho flies as reds or is there a better lure/technique? One guy next to me was catching pinks at will. I watched him for a while but couldn't see what he was doing different, except catching 25 fish to my 1 or 2!!!!

They will start to show up mid July, but numbers wise end will be better.
    Ship Creek you will soon learn fast enough that it is muddy. Plan on getting dirty.. I like to fish for silvers there on the low tide and fish it tell the tides goes out. I flip 4/0 hook with green yarn and a small orange or a glow in the dark bead. As the tide starts to come in I will change over to roe and a bobber. I follow the tide up tell the bridge. One I it that i done for the day... Most people there will use a 4 or 5 blue fox color blue hot pink or even gold.

I use a 6 wt lamiglass fly rod.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

My favorite thing for silvers in Ship creek is a marabou jig. Seems every school of silvers that swims by has one crazy fish in it that will attack the jig. Many will turn their nose to any lure but I have had some that would bite at it until they got it.

I prefer to fish at high tide just downstream or under the A street bridge.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

For pinks try hot pink wooly buggers or hot pink 1/16 to 1/8 oz jigs under a float (AKA bobber)

Hey Jim. Sorry we missed meeting last year as my phone died in the kenai the weekend we were supposed to meet. ill shoot you an email of my dates i have at the russian this year maybe we can meet for a soda this year. As far a bird creek they are fishing pinks and silvers there. I chase silvers there once in a while on the incoming tide just soaking eggs off a bobber. I have had decent success. The fish are not huge but they are dime bright on the imcoming tide.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    My favorite thing for silvers in Ship creek is a marabou jig. Seems every school of silvers that swims by has one crazy fish in it that will attack the jig. Many will turn their nose to any lure but I have had some that would bite at it until they got it.

I prefer to fish at high tide just downstream or under the A street bridge.

What color Maribou jigs and what weight?

Thanks

Default Ship Creek Craaaaziness

Hi Jim
    Kings are falling off in mid July (closes around the 15th), then there's a lag of about 7-10 days, then the silvers start to arrive in numbers and the run is a'rippin' by the first of August.

When fishing the upper end of the river, flipping with an 8 wt. flyrod is productive. Eggs under a bobber is a blast in the middle section of the river (below the old culverts) as the tide brings a slug of fish in.

There's different methods and techniques for different phases of the tide. It takes some time trying things out to see what works. But silvers are abundant when the run is going and you should have fun, and success, with anything you try at that time.

And yes, that's Bird Creek on the way to Girdwood, and anglers there are intercepting a run of silvers coming up Turnagain Arm.

Best...Cliffhanger

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    What color Maribou jigs and what weight?

Thanks

Hot pink in 1/4 & 1/8 oz
    They work great fished under a float. (AKA. bobber)

Default secret revealed...

i would absolutly swear by either the bronze blue fox #5 or the black sparkly one with the orange tipped blade. just add a clump of eggs and hang on!! last year we absolutely slayed them down at ship creek, everyday after work thats where id be, most times not for very long before limiting out and heading for home. after the silvers die out there, it would be time to head to the boat harbor in whittier. if you havent fished it, you should because it is absolutly a kick in the pants. man this winter just keeps draggin on....

Sounds like a load of fun! When you guys are talking about fishing eggs under a bobber, are we talking just like it sounds like; a red/white bobber, some leader (Length/weight?), and a hook (size/type)? Do you use a egg loop to secure the eggs and would I use the same eggs as used for drifting kings (king or sockeye eggs)?
    Hey Chuck, don't blame yourself about last summer; when the fishing (reds) got going, I got nearsighted! Also, we ended up with a couple of extra trips to Anchorage over the weekends; we bought a new (used) Suburban one weekend, then my brother had me go back up next weekend to pick up his new (used) snowmachine. Maybe this July we'll connect!
    What I'd really like is for somebody to come up with a way to go 3 weeks without sleeping so we can fish more! I push the 2 guys that are with me every year (my father in law and my good buddy, a retired electrician) pretty hard for 3 weeks; they keep telling me, "hey, we gotta sleep sometime!" or "we gotta eat sometime". My friend Butch (the retired electrician) one day kinda went off the handle, we laughed ourselves to tears: Me and dad in law wanted to fish kings, so we dropped Butch off at the steep cut bank to fish reds (we checked on him lots as we were drifting by him every drift); about 8 or so hours later; we finally retrieved him and headed for home (I caught a king and Butch got his 6 reds; plus me & dad in law got our reds). When he got in the boat, he said, "That's it! You guys drop me off and abandoned me and made me catch all these fish!" Only he wasn't joking! You gotta understand that Butch is probably the nicest, mild mannered guy in the universe. When he said that with the disgusted tone in his voice, me and my dad in law looked at each other dumbfounded and busted out in tears laughing so hard! Butch finally realized the absurdity of his statement and broke out laughing too. See what relentless fishing does to a man?
    I love it! I'm really gonna push them this year! Yee Haaaa!!! These guys are 25 years older than me, so my dad in law has been getting in shape for the annual "fishing trip" and he says I'm not gonna run him in the ground this year!
    Jim

Looks like no silver derby this year.....

http://www.adn.com/fishing/story/375113.html

Default Those guys are right on...

The answers posted are right on the money. Ship has more goo than any spot I've ever fished. I stay out of it, but I surely visit it for the entertainment value of watching the newcomers slip and slide. Local guys are well versed on how to get through it, and for my money if I had never been there before I would invest with one of the pro guides to show me how.

Check out http://www.akurbanangler.com. This guy is one the top dogs on Ship and his services are reasonable.

Bird is also a fun stop. It's a great learning area on dealing with the tidal flow and fish movement.

Do them both if you have the opportunity...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Sounds like a load of fun! When you guys are talking about fishing eggs under a bobber, are we talking just like it sounds like; a red/white bobber, some leader (Length/weight?), and a hook (size/type)? Do you use a egg loop to secure the eggs and would I use the same eggs as used for drifting kings (king or sockeye eggs)?
    Hey Chuck, don't blame yourself about last summer; when the fishing (reds) got going, I got nearsighted! Also, we ended up with a couple of extra trips to Anchorage over the weekends; we bought a new (used) Suburban one weekend, then my brother had me go back up next weekend to pick up his new (used) snowmachine. Maybe this July we'll connect!
    What I'd really like is for somebody to come up with a way to go 3 weeks without sleeping so we can fish more! I push the 2 guys that are with me every year (my father in law and my good buddy, a retired electrician) pretty hard for 3 weeks; they keep telling me, "hey, we gotta sleep sometime!" or "we gotta eat sometime". My friend Butch (the retired electrician) one day kinda went off the handle, we laughed ourselves to tears: Me and dad in law wanted to fish kings, so we dropped Butch off at the steep cut bank to fish reds (we checked on him lots as we were drifting by him every drift); about 8 or so hours later; we finally retrieved him and headed for home (I caught a king and Butch got his 6 reds; plus me & dad in law got our reds). When he got in the boat, he said, "That's it! You guys drop me off and abandoned me and made me catch all these fish!" Only he wasn't joking! You gotta understand that Butch is probably the nicest, mild mannered guy in the universe. When he said that with the disgusted tone in his voice, me and my dad in law looked at each other dumbfounded and busted out in tears laughing so hard! Butch finally realized the absurdity of his statement and broke out laughing too. See what relentless fishing does to a man?
    I love it! I'm really gonna push them this year! Yee Haaaa!!! These guys are 25 years older than me, so my dad in law has been getting in shape for the annual "fishing trip" and he says I'm not gonna run him in the ground this year!
    Jim
    Great story! Makes me real happy to hear stuff like that. You told it well too, I can imagine being there and laughing too! Thanks

I use 1/8 to 1/4 oz black, brown or purple. They were steelhead jigs I picked up in Idaho. I also tied some pink flash ones but the jig heads I used did not have a strong enough hook and I kept straightening the hook on the hookset.
    I used an 8'6" rod with no bobber.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

the jig and float might be the best lure never used in Alaska
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Cool ship creek low tide

At low tide I use a single 4/0 gami hook(octopus red), 2-10mm beads(any color), enough shot to make it tik,tik on the bottom and about a 6 or 7 foot leader. On an average day(3am-10pm), during the run, landing 50 - 60 fish is the norm for me. All you're doing is flossing their teeth! AND THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO NEED TO "JERK" YOUR LINE UNLESS YOU ARE TRYING TO SNAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which is ILLEGAL on ship creek!!! During high tide floating eggs about 1 1/2 - 4 feet deep on the incoming tide or after the tide turns (moving water) is usually the hot ticket. During high tide slack water, try a vibrax (#'s 2-5) color depends on weather and water clarity -the clearer both are the darker the color i use.

The guide suggested by akauthor is a great guy and knows the creek well. He is also known as the ADN fishing guy. Check him out on ADN.com, he has several short video clips on there.

Good Luck and I'm sure I'll be down there, pm me times and days your there and maybe we can meet up. Always like to make new fishing buddies.

Default ADN Fishing Dude videos

Thanks AlaskanAuthor and Dandeo for the references in previous posts.

Here's the link to a number of short videos I've done for my employer, the Anchorage Daily News, which we ended up calling the "ADN Fishing Dude". We started them last summer and plan on doing another 18 episodes this summer.

They are mostly about fishing Ship Creek (with one trip to Bird Creek), but they have tips and techniques which you can apply to other Alaskan waterways.

This summer will start off May 8th with a "Trolling for feeder kings" episode from Homer, an interview with the local Alaska Wildlife Trooper Mitch Lewis, and "stalking early kings". So, check them out and bookmark the link. There will be a quiz!

http://community.adn.com/mini_apps/v...ENRES=00000187

Default your welcome

just remember - SET THE HOOK!!!!!! Kirby and I will see you at the creek, we'll have a newbie with us. I'm sure we'll be busy. Heard my hole is still there. We'll see after the creek flushes whether or not it stays there. Down there tonight - high tide - still ice on the mud flats. We're planing on May 3rd or 4th negative tides, I think, might try the mouth.

Default Early Ship kings

Dandeo
    You and Kirby are maniacs! I tried to search on the "first king" and "Ship Creek" here on the forums to see when the first king happened on Ship, but could not find the posts by the angler who grabbed one early last year.

I seem to remember it was around the 10th or 12th of May.

Make sure you report back! (Maybe see you guys down there on the minus tide...)

Cliff hanger. Check ADN. I remember right around the earliest was on May 8 was the first one caught. Usally you hear more around the middle of the month then it gets hot around Memorial weekend.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast