Thread: love alaska fishing

Default love alaska fishing

I am new but am glad I found this site. I have been to alaska 3 times and plan to drive my motor home from NC to Alaska this summer and spend the month of Aug. I have fished Valdez and Homer and plan to go there again but with more time I want to try more places,the less crowded the better I like it. ( People, that is not fish) I know this is a broad questain but I would appreciate any suggestains. I have heard that Whittier is not crowded and good fishing. I will be doing Salmon fishing mostly with the exception of the trip out of Homor. Alaska has the best fishing in the world! Paweaver

Thumbs up Kodiak

Leave your motor home in Homer and do the walk onto the ferry, or bring your motor home. If you do come plan on about a week to get everything in. The Coast Guard base has motor home connections and the road system for Pinks and some left over Reds will be fantastic.

Only down side is the cost of getting your motor home onto the ferry....it can get expensive.

If you are planning to fish from shore, its pretty hard to get away from combat fishing . Whitter is very crowded in town but once you get out on the water you can be all by your self. If you want great fishing and no crowds then you need a boat or an airplane.
    In August Seward is the place to be for salmon. Charters and boat rentals are available in seward but if you plan on being there during the Silver Salmon Derby, you should reserve it now. Whitter has good silver fishing during August and charters and boat rentals are available. Homer, Anchor Point, and Ninilchik have great Halibut fishing. I don't know of any boat rentals available but lots of very good charter opperators, but get reccomendations.
    If you are not able to find a charter or boat rental, private boat owners sometimes have an open seat or two especially if you are willing to kick in for a share of expenses. We have an Open Seat thread on this forum. Some things to keep in mind if you choose the open seat option, some private boat owners are newbes or have unreliable equipment so you could find yourself in a dangerous situation. Take a look at the boat and make sure that they have a good seaworthy boat and plenty of experience.
    I hope that helps Good luck and good fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
    If you are planning to fish from shore, its pretty hard to get away from combat fishing . Whitter is very crowded in town but once you get out on the water you can be all by your self. If you want great fishing and no crowds then you need a boat or an airplane.
    In August Seward is the place to be for salmon. Charters and boat rentals are available in seward but if you plan on being there during the Silver Salmon Derby, you should reserve it now. Whitter has good silver fishing during August and charters and boat rentals are available. Homer, Anchor Point, and Ninilchik have great Halibut fishing. I don't know of any boat rentals available but lots of very good charter opperators, but get reccomendations.
    If you are not able to find a charter or boat rental, private boat owners sometimes have an open seat or two especially if you are willing to kick in for a share of expenses. We have an Open Seat thread on this forum. Some things to keep in mind if you choose the open seat option, some private boat owners are newbes or have unreliable equipment so you could find yourself in a dangerous situation. Take a look at the boat and make sure that they have a good seaworthy boat and plenty of experience.
    I hope that helps Good luck and good fishing.
    A newbie with crummy old boat only adds to the experience.....One that you will only do once even if you live.

If you make any runs up north around the paxson area and accross the denali highway it can be a true relaxing and fun experience. Give yourself a couple of days to play accross the highway and take your time as it is gravel. The grayling fishing is just amazing there. Tons of places to pull over and camp and there are some maintained campgrounds on the highway. There are a couple of lodges with great hospitality. Great sights, great fishing and the crowds are next to none. It is a get away of choice for the wife and I
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Leave your motor home in Homer and do the walk onto the ferry, or bring your motor home. If you do come plan on about a week to get everything in. The Coast Guard base has motor home connections and the road system for Pinks and some left over Reds will be fantastic.

Only down side is the cost of getting your motor home onto the ferry....it can get expensive.
    I did the pinks in Kodiak about 8 years ago. They are not very good to eat , as most Alaskans prefer Kings or Reds but we had a great time. We caught a fish on almost every cast. We fished the rivers on the road system, just park the car , walk about 50 feet down to the river and non stop action. Now thats my kind of fishing.
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON