Thread: Anyone from Anderson area?

Default Anyone from Anderson area?

My wife and I bought some property 4-5miles west of Anderson and are looking for someone who is from the area who might share some insights on the terrain. Specifically, soil type, vegetation type and density and accessibility. We are not from the area and will not be able to head out there until next summer but we would like to know about the area from a local. The gentleman we bought from is from the Anchorage area and did not have much information other than information he received from a realtor.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

I am not from Anderson, but have worked there. West of ANderson is Clear Airbase, a radar installation run by the Space Command. Beyond that you'll find fairly level ground, kind of rolling terrain. It will be a mix of birch and spruce with some areas pretty thick with brush, some not. Cotton woods near the water. It is also a mix of ground, some good high gravel and some boggy. Not very far west is the Nenana River. Land a very cheap around the area.
    There are a few moose around. In a good year the bunnies are thick. I did pretty good on spruce hens and up the road there are some ruffed grouse. You'll have to stay off military ground.
    The little that I know, hope it helps.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Thanks, bullbuster

I appreciate the reply, bullbuster. When I can't be there at the moment to see it for myself, anything offered is helpful. Makes the packing decision much easier....mucking boots or sandals, canvas pants or dockers, rifle or sling shot, etc... Thanks, again!!!

I hope to build my retirement home there in the next few years.

Pack a woodstove because it gets COLD there in the winter.
    Now what ?

The wife and I are doing the same thing...building ours in the next 3 yrs. Property purchased and just getting started in the "what to build" process. Ours will be an early retirement - as soon as the kids are in college - and I suppose we'll find that wood stove first thing.

I'm from Cantwell, but I've been up there a little. To the south of there is nothing but pure gravel with aspen and small spruce, birch, and cottenwoods. I know to the north is a huge swamp area with diamond willow, and alders and black spruce.. Of course, there Minto Flatts ( wetlands )to the northwest. I would say it's one of the two, good gravel base or swamp. To the east it is more of the same. I havn't been to the west. And I don't know the accessability. The Nenana runs really close there. The moose hunting and duck and grouse hunting is really good in that area. The moose is any bull which really makes it easier. Unit 20a has the highest moose population density in the state. Clear and Anderson are the coldest area on the Parks highway in the winter. It's really noticable. And the weather can change very fast. So if you go out at +20 degrees F bring gear for -30. Good luck.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default anderson area.

well I live about 8 miles from anderson. and am a contractor in the area. i build log and frame homes. much of the area is good gravel a few feet down and the land is fairly flat along that strech of road. we do have several areas prone to perma frost, the closer to Nenana you get the worse it is.. there is about 22 miles of tundra and perma frost. this requires a bit of engineering for your foundations but is not too much of an issue as you get used to living on it. being west of anderson you should be fine for the most part. consider a wind mill for power supliment this is a great area for a small turbine. summers are hot with the merc popping over 100 in the sun and averaging 65-75 in the shade. winters the merc dips to -30 , -50 on a regular basis and then you get the wind chill. snow is not to much of a problem. with about 12" being the norm.

I was staitioned at Clear AFS for a year and visited Anderson some. Not much to add to what has already been said. I found it to be a nice little community with some friendly folks. Be sure and visit the Clear Sky Lodge at about mile 280 on the Parks Hwy and get a steak....not to be missed!

Default Excellent info

Thanks to Vince and Gunblade...that's what I was looking for. The 100 degree summers (what-in-the-heck) are among the reasons we're leaving the lower 48s so I'm scratching my head on that one and wondering if I should scout around for another loc. And I'll be sure to check out Clear Sky Lodge - in my opinion, meat should be the only food group!!!!