Thread: West Cook Inlet Salmon

Default West Cook Inlet Salmon

Anybody have any recommendations on salmon fishing on the west side of Cook Inlet? Particularly king fishing. I have my own Super Cub on wheels and would like to try some of those rivers and creeks out. I have heard there are plenty of good places where you can land on the beach and the salmon run thick with little to no crowds. Any ideas or suggestions?

Shane

Nobody fishes on the west side or nobody wants to say anything?

I don't think they want to say anything. I know there are salmon runs over there in the rivers and streams and they are fished. I keep trying to find out information about this area for fishing and hunting but all I hear is its not possible to take a boat across(which is the route I want to take). Think about just going for it here in a few weeks and seeing how the trip across is as well as how navigable the rivers are in a jet boat.

You should stay away from Tyonek. They don't seem to want visitors.

Don't forget to check the regulations as most are only C&R for kings (Theodore & Lewis)

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...al/07SCwci.pdf

Default Cook Inlet West Side

Beluga River open for seniors (age 60+) for dip netting. Hope this announcement doesnt start a stampede
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default possible options

I think your choices are go to F&G get some info on landing spots & use trial & error.
    Another viable option would be to hire a guide for a day trip or two, & gain the info from them for your personal use. I know there was a thread about this a month or two ago with some good info.

You should stay away from Tyonek. They don't seem to want visitors.
    I have heard that. I have also heard that they don't own the beach, but hell I don't really have a clue. There are plenty of rivers over there, if it's a big problem I don't necessarily have to fish "their" river.

I think your choices are go to F&G get some info on landing spots & use trial & error.
    I would defiantly use that as an option, just hoping some guys that have done it before can give me some hints. As far as landing spots go, with good approaches and favorable winds just a short distance is required.

Default Fish so thick.....

Quote Originally Posted by High Country View Post
    I have also heard that they don't own the beach, but hell I don't really have a clue.
    I have been told for years that they, in fact, do own the beach.One of very few tribes granted land to the low tide mark. A setnetter explained it to me. You can't leave your plane on the beach anyway, the tide will get it. I know from personal experience that leaving it on tribal land will get a barrel chained to it.
    If the west side was easy, everyone would be doing it. You're going to have to do like the rest of us and burn some gas and a few bucks. Most of the land is native corporation owned. It is a place of limited access points and getting crowded as the corporations have really tightened access. You can afford a super cub, you can afford to fly over there and look around. You'll see people fishing.
    Cubs land at the mouth of the Chuit, on the north side. Good level mud flats that are firm at low tide. Getting above the tide line depends on what the last tide left. (Don't go over on a spring tide) If you cross the river, expect to be kicked off.
    There is a strip at the Kustatan that I have used to get to the river. Again, fly around and see where the people are. There aren't any secret spots, it seems like everybody has a plane.
    There are some gravel bars on the Chakachatna, but you better have some big ass tires. Look for the clear water tribs.

Whoever told you that there were "plenty of good places" full of fish near the beach with no crowds, must have been there 40 years ago.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by High Country View Post
    Anybody have any recommendations on salmon fishing on the west side of Cook Inlet? Particularly king fishing. I have my own Super Cub on wheels and would like to try some of those rivers and creeks out. I have heard there are plenty of good places where you can land on the beach and the salmon run thick with little to no crowds. Any ideas or suggestions?

Shane
    Yeah, I got one that nobody mentions. The Chakachatna-McArthur system. This is a little farther west of the usual suspects (kustatan, chuit, silver salmon ck, etc.). I know its predominantly glacial but according to my source, you can land on these gravel bars a little ways up where the clear water mixes with the glacial from that big lake. I met some guy who did alot of fisheries studies for hydropower consulting up for several years awhile back (a few decades ago) and he swears it was loaded with big kings, some bears, and no people. He told me there was some fly-in activity when word first got out, but I haven't heard boo before or since.

I sure would like to hear about someone making a try out there.

Angry

I used to fly my Cub all up and down the West side fishing the rivers. Usually ended up fishing for silvers on the Kustatan because it was usually the best. Also loved going to Polly Creek on the right days because you could land on the beach during the ebb tide and clam while the tide went out and back in until it got close to my plane. Then take off and land on the gravel beach above the high water mark and fish for silvers during the flood. Sure miss those days. Never heard of anyone catching kings anywhere. Bullbuster has it right though. About 20 years ago it got so crowded with planes parked along the strips and the rivers so crowded with people that the Anch flying services had dropped off that I quit going. The first one off my list was Alexander Creek. In 1989 ( if I remember right ) I saw an inexperienced pilot crash while landing on the sand strip on the island. The big hump in the middle of the strip has always been there but they lost control bouncing over it and crashed into the row of planes parked along the water's edge. It was all downhill from there.

There's good fishing over there but definetely be aware of where the native lands are on the river. They are extremely hostile about 'white men' being on their land. people have been shot at over their for being on their side of the river. Most are friendly but once happy hour comes... watch out.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.