Thread: The difference between IMR and Hodgdon?

Question The difference between IMR and Hodgdon?

This may sound like a dumb question, (I am new at reloading) But what is the difference between the IMR and Hodgdon powders? I have heard numerous opinions, but I still do not have a definitave answer. I am learning that this is the place to get such answers.

Saz

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    This may sound like a dumb question, (I am new at reloading) But what is the difference between the IMR and Hodgdon powders? I have heard numerous opinions, but I still do not have a definitave answer. I am learning that this is the place to get such answers.

Saz

Some powders will have no difference. Some will be the same powder since Hodgdon makes them all and has made some changes. I cannot begin to say which are the same and which are still different because I do not know.

A while back they were all different powders. H4350 is not the same as IMR4350.

The easiest way is to use Hodgdons data. http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

As you can see the loads for H110 and IMR296 are identical grain for grain and velocity. Because these are now one and the same.

This article references that H4227 and IMR 4227 will be one and the same. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...n16866654/pg_2 Looking at the current load data it looks as though the IMR 4227 was scrapped altogether.

Either way stick to the load manuals and do NOT swap one brand name for the other.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

One thing I have recently learned is that some powders are temp stable and others are not. I personally have decided to go with temp stable powders because my end goal for shooting is hunting and there is a big possible temp range for hunting conditions where I hunt

Hogdon's Extreme powders are temp stable. I dont think IMR has any temp stable powders, not really sure.

Happy Loading

Default Hogden powder

I hate to rain on your parade RMiller but most of Hogdens powders are manufactured by ADI ( Australian Defence Industries ) Col M

Quote Originally Posted by Col M View Post
    I hate to rain on your parade RMiller but most of Hogdens powders are manufactured by ADI ( Australian Defence Industries ) Col M
    How is that raining on my parade?

I already knew that Hodgdon powders are made in Kiwiland.

Why does it matter where they are made?

Hodgdon owns Winchester and IMR also. Some of the Winchester powders are the same as the Hodgdon powders. Same powder, different can so as not to confuse the old timers.

"Either way stick to the load manuals and do NOT swap one brand name for the other."

Any way you read it and anywhere the powders come from, that's the bottom line.

End of story.

I strongly second BrownBear's statement. Most reloaders make it a policy never to swap brand names and load data, regardless of what they may hear from others or changes in a company's ownership. Keep it simple and keep it safe...stick to the manual.

sidebar: NZ are the Kiwis, Aussie is Australian. Both call the English Pommies.
    I have seen sailors fight over that one!

Note taken Allen. No need for me to get a sock in the mouth fer being ignorant.

I definately second the no swapping powder policy.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    "Either way stick to the load manuals and do NOT swap one brand name for the other."

Any way you read it and anywhere the powders come from, that's the bottom line.

End of story.
    Ditto! Stick with the data for each individual powder.

H4227-----IMR 4227 They are not the same but have similar burn rate.
    H4895-----IMR 4895 They are not the same, they used to have very close burn rates but today the new H4895 is quite different.
    H4350-----IMR 4350 They are not the same quite different now in burn rate, enough to get you into trouble with one over the other.
    H4831-----IMR 4831 They are not the same, they have always been different in burn rate.

Accurate Powders also have some similar names, and are close to IMR but not interchangable.

Hodgdon's now owns IMR but IMR is still made where it was and is still a different recipe than the same number of Hodgdon's.

If you have no pressure equipment, and if you have no way to use an unknown powder to determine it's burn rate and yield strength, do not experiment with powders. It takes a lot of know how, experience and equipment to develope data in unknown calibers or with unknown powders. It's best to stick with the established load date that has been tested by properly equipped labs.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Mostly correct Murphy.

But the 4227's are the same. The IMR 4227 has been dropped and the H4227 is being sold as the IMR version now.

There are at least four other powders that Hodgdon has done this with.

Do not substitute any one for another. Because unless you know when it was made it is impossible to tell which version of IMR4227 you have or if your powder is the new stock or old stock.

---------

From an article by John Taffin written Jan 2007:

Hodgdon/IMR recently introduced a new powder, Trail Boss, specifically made for light loads in large capacity cases. It is a natural for use in the .500 Magnum offering very pleasant shooting loads in the 925 to 1,025 fps range. Going up a notch we can use 25 to 27 grains of either H4227 or IMR 4227, which will be the same powder by the time you read this with H4227 being marketed as IMR4227, and the velocity is more in the 1,300 fps range.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Mostly correct Murphy.

But the 4227's are the same. The IMR 4227 has been dropped and the H4227 is being sold as the IMR version now.

There are at least four other powders that Hodgdon has done this with.

Do not substitute any one for another. Because unless you know when it was made it is impossible to tell which version of IMR4227 you have or if your powder is the new stock or old stock.

---------

From an article by John Taffin written Jan 2007:

Hodgdon/IMR recently introduced a new powder, Trail Boss, specifically made for light loads in large capacity cases. It is a natural for use in the .500 Magnum offering very pleasant shooting loads in the 925 to 1,025 fps range. Going up a notch we can use 25 to 27 grains of either H4227 or IMR 4227, which will be the same powder by the time you read this with H4227 being marketed as IMR4227, and the velocity is more in the 1,300 fps range.

I had not heard that, that's good info. If you look at the IMR (old) and H4227 powders, they do not look even similar. The H is yellowish grey and very short cut. The IMR is black and small diameter and extruded longer kernals. I guess they will all look and load a like now.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Reloader 19

I noticed montanashooter talking about temperature stability in powders. Does anyone know if reloader 19 is "temperature stable". Thanks

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    I noticed montanashooter talking about temperature stability in powders. Does anyone know if reloader 19 is "temperature stable". Thanks

Luke
    The Hodgdon Extreme powders are temp stable, I don't believe RL 19 is.