Thread: Massif Nomex Fleece

Anchorage, Alaska

Default Massif Nomex Fleece

Okay, call me unobservant, clueless or yes, even stupid. Come on, you know you want to. But I recently became aware of Massif Nomex Fleece clothing. It intrigues me because for years we've been using fleece as a lightweight alternative to wool, but fleece burns like a torch. More than one death has occurred in Alaska that was attributed to fleece clothing catching fire.

Sooo this Nomex stuff is flame resistant, and I have some questions about it.

1. Have you used it?

2. Is it warm?

3. Is it hydrophobic (does it repel / shed water?)

4. Is it more expensive than regular fleece?

5. Does anyone in Anchorage carry it?

6. Is this stuff being made by anyone else besides Massif, and if so, how does theirs compare?

7. Camo patterns?

Thanks for your input!

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address:
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Eagle River

Default Dragonfur

I have some Dragonfur pants and a jacket in Nomex fleece I use at work for NFPA 70E arc flash protection. I think it's just as warm and comfortable as anything else. Yes, I believe it's a little spendy, but not out of line. Numerous companies sell this stuff because it's popular with the electrical, oil and fire safety industries now that the new arc flash safety requirement's are being enforced. You can buy it in Anchorage at the Army Navy Store. I think they sell the Carhartt version.

I guess it would be a good idea to wear FR clothing when flying around. After a couple close calls, I started wearing a Mustang jacket when flying in case of a water accident, but then I always wonder what would be worse, having the jacket melt into my skin with a fire or drowning?

By the way, I'm enjoying my autographed book I bought at the show last weekend.

Fairbanksan in Aleutian Hell

I think it would be a good idea to wear it while your butt's parked next to the campfire. One of the main reasons I prefer wool.
    Now what ?

The Army Navy Store downtown (Anchorage) has bunch of Nomex Fleece in the basement. Maybe if someone talked to them you could get it in colors other than blue (would like to see it in brown, gray, or green). ?? The stuff they carry is very warm, but on the heavy side if you are backpack hunting.

North Pole, AK

Default Usa it all winter long

I have a fair amount of experience wearing the Massif stuff. I'm in the Air Force and we started using it to fly in a few years ago with a gortex shell through the winter months. It's warm and I wore it through our arctic survival class in -35 with no problems. We have three different thicknesses of it: a thin base layer, mid layer, and heavy outer layer that has a pile like outer finish. I found that the three layers were too warm if I was active at -35, but was comfy if I was just sitting still. It doesn't repel water but does dry out fairly quickly (and doesn't melt or burn near a fire if you're using it to dry). I wore mine until it was dry with no problems and air dried it as well. It is more expensive than regular fleece but I think it would be well worth it. I don't know if anyone in Anchorage has it and I only have experience with the Massif stuff. The pairs that I have are black, and I would recommend them as base or mid layers under a goretex shell for hunting.

If you have any other questions or would like more details, please let me know.

Paul (aka Fuse)

Thumbs up

I wore massif fleece all summer last year. I worked for the park service and nomex was required to fly in helicopters. The two variety that I wore were thick pile type and a laminated variety. It had some sort of gortex like barrier laminated into it with smooth fleece on the outside and fluffy fleece on the inside. I really liked the stuff. Sure it was spendy, but that didn't really bother me cause it was issued.

The pile fleece was just like any other fleece that I have worn, although it was a bit thicker. The jacket was water repellent and breathable. I wore it in many rainstorms with no complaints. If I were going to do a lot of flying I would definitely get the stuff. It sure beats wearing a flight suit or nomex fire fighting gear.

The thing that I didn't like was that it had metal zippers. They probably would have worked better if I would have waxed them.

Wasilla AK (for now)

I'm issued two sets of Massif Element gear in the Guard, as a helicopter crewchief. (one tan, one black)

I've bought a third set of tan, and now I have a Dragon Fur fleece.

I love the Massif, its water resistant, fire resistant, and wind proof. Its not exceptional cold weather gear, but its pretty decent, In 30-60 deg temps its good gear, any colder, and you'll need some long underwear or something heavier.

It is great for hunting. I take two sets every time I go.

It is, great for rain gear. Long enough sitting, like on an ATV and you butt will get wet, walking in the rain, you'll be dry and warm.

It is very spendy. 300 for the jacket, 280 for pants. (for Element pants and jacket, not the hot shot, or inferno gear)

Tru North makes the Alpha Special Forces jacket, in Dragon Fur, which is more like a fleece, and as such, not as good as a stand alone system, but a little cooler. Its about 100 cheaper than the Massif.