Thread: questions on Ruger Alaskans

Default questions on Ruger Alaskans

I've decided to step up from .44 mag as my light hiking gun by buying a .454 Alaskan; I figure if recoil is too much, I can load it with .45 colt +p. I had a couple of questions: Has anyone tried having one magnaported? The barrel is already so short I'd be hesitant to have it done due to the increase in muzzle blast... but if it helps, it helps. Also, do any speedloaders work?
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I've decided to step up from .44 mag as my light hiking gun by buying a .454 Alaskan; I figure if recoil is too much, I can load it with .45 colt +p. I had a couple of questions: Has anyone tried having one magnaported? The barrel is already so short I'd be hesitant to have it done due to the increase in muzzle blast... but if it helps, it helps. Also, do any speedloaders work?

I don't have one of these right now, but I'd say port away! Should be fun!

Disclaimer: Safety glasses and FR clothing are recommended if you take the author's advice. Do NOT wear hairspray or any other flammable substance in your hair. Ensure that all nose hair is trimmed.... smelling burnt hair for the next week is an unpleasant experience. Please ensure that there are no branches hanging within 20' of your ports, and any small animals that like to climb up anything should be secured prior to shooting (if you want to get rid of the neighbor's cat while appearing innocent this is a great time to do so... wait until it's in a tree and fire a round below it). Keep your mouth closed as burnt powder tastes yucky.
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Default HKS Speedloader for 45 Colt N frame

works fine.
    I would skip the magna porting on that short self defense gun.
    Rather than port it shoot it and figure out iof you are comfortable with it. There are a wide range of power level options with that caliber. Nothing wrong with a big, slow .45 slug.

Thumbs up 454

Had a FA 454 traded it off went back to Ruger SBH in 44 Mag by Magnaport Predator.
    Alaska

I did a search for the .454 Alaskan on youtube and had a lot of hits. The blast is very impressive, especially when you look at the still frames. My fiancÚ thinks I'm nuts. I'll definitely try shooting the gun with a lot of different loads before deciding whether to have it magnaported. Not knowing any better I think I'd be happy with .44 magnum-level loads, but I like the idea of having the option for more headroom.

Leahy, does that HKS speedloader work with the standard Hogue rubber grip? Or is that with the Ruger grip that comes with the SRH version of the .454?

Default alaskan

AK bush man: I love the pic of gunny Hathcock II, he was an outstanding man!!!

The 454 alaskan that I own with the 2" barrel is not that bad to shoot, even with 360 grain bullets. But, like you said, I just mainly shoot the 45 colts when I practice and save the heavy 454's for zeroing and bear probs. I wouldnt recommend porting this short pistol either, but I am no expert.

Default 454 Alaskan Stings but Not Too Bad

I picked up an Alaskan a couple of months ago to pack on remote fishing trips to AK. I started off with some 260 gr Winchester HP and the kick was not that bad at all... Heavy 45's no problem and good to help sight in initially. Out of the box my Alaskan was shooting a little low and to the left...and after reading all the stories about how hard she kicked I flinched the first 2 rounds even lower into the dirt.

About a month ago I ordered several boxes of Buffalo Bore 360 gr and that was a different story. Fired off 6 rounds and it did sting a bit but nothing you can't handle. I think the shorter barrel actually reduces recoil since not as much surface area inside barrel to build up to maximum pressure.

There is absolutely no reason to consider porting this barrel. It is already too short to take full advantage of the 454 round...I only wish it was an inch or two longer. I repeat she don't kick that hard and if you ever need the 360 gr bullet you want all the pressure it can squeeze out of the snubnose barrel...just make sure you practice enough such that you get comfortable with it before packing into the woods.

So far I have fired off about 60 rounds of 454 and a box of 45's. I love this big little gun and it was exactly what I need for backup protection in remote AK.

Default Double Action Binding

Gents:
    I recently bought the Ruger Alaskan in .454 largly based on some of the discussions in this forum. However, I had problems with it "binding" and locking up in double action mode using factory lead reloads in .45 (shot only 25 rounds). I read in some of the other postings that others have had this problem. Once this happened, I did not test further and called Ruger. They seemed to know exactly what the problem was and sent me free shipping labels and promised to have it back for my fishing trip. However, they would not comit themselves to state what they thought the problem actually was.

Anyone else have similar problems like this and able to get a straight answer to ID it? Hopefully they will fix it and the problem will be over. I would think that a good quality revolver should eat just about any type of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Badman View Post
    Gents:
    I recently bought the Ruger Alaskan in .454 largly based on some of the discussions in this forum. However, I had problems with it "binding" and locking up in double action mode using factory lead reloads in .45 (shot only 25 rounds). I read in some of the other postings that others have had this problem. Once this happened, I did not test further and called Ruger. They seemed to know exactly what the problem was and sent me free shipping labels and promised to have it back for my fishing trip. However, they would not comit themselves to state what they thought the problem actually was.

Anyone else have similar problems like this and able to get a straight answer to ID it? Hopefully they will fix it and the problem will be over. I would think that a good quality revolver should eat just about any type of ammo.
    Before I bought my Alaskan I was aware of this issue and bought the gun anyway. Sure as shoot it bound up on me and I've had the problem ever since. However, the reason I have held off on sending it in to Ruger is because I have been told by numerous owners that the gun will eventually break itself in and cycle correctly after a couple hundred rounds. Well i'm on about 1500 rounds and still have the problems periodically. Badman, how long did it take you to get your gun back from Ruger? If I can get it back before May I will probably send it in.

Default Why not stay put

Wolfeye, Unless you just want another gun, which is always fine, if you would be satisfied with .44 mag level power, why not stay with the .44? At close range, which is a given in a man/bear situation, if you place your shots well, with a 300 grain load, it would work as well as a 45 Colt +P loading, unless you are a 45 Colt fan, in which case it is soooo much better.

Default to stay put or to go bigger...

Mauserboy, I haven't actually decided on which caliber to get it in. .44 mag still has appeal to me because I'm comfortable shooting it and it's relatively cheap. I'm a little concerned that really heavy, high-pressure loads might jump crimp in the little Alaskan. It might be a false worry; I don't even know if .44 has a lighter crimp than .454, which I've never heard of experiencing this problem in the Alaskan. Anybody care to share thoughts on this?

So it sounds like most people wouldn't go with porting. Now the only thing holding me back from buying a new gun is deciding which caliber to go with. There's even the new 5-shot .480 version to think about. I'm leaning slightly towards .454 because it's uncharted waters for me, and it has a wide powerband.

Edit: So is binding only an issue with lead reloads? I have a preference for copper bullets myself.

Default Not that bad

I have both the 480 Ruger in SRH 7.5in and the Alaskan in 454/45. The Alaskan isnt that bad to shoot at all, more hype in my opinion than anything else. It does have a lot of muzzle flip though. My 480 is more of a shove, less muzzle flip. If i had it to do over, I'd get the Alaskan in 480, the Hornady 325 grain is only $22-$25 a box, easy on recoil and fun to shoot. But I can also load up with 410gr Buffalo Bore @ 1200fps! Thats a big chunck of lead going pretty fast from a sidearm. Or you can buy both like I did!

I'm a little concerned that really heavy, high-pressure loads might jump crimp in the little Alaskan. It might be a false worry; I don't even know if .44 has a lighter crimp than .454, which I've never heard of experiencing this problem in the Alaskan. Anybody care to share thoughts on this?
    http://www.scopedin.com/wordpress/?page_id=22.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Default Ruger Factory Repair

Just got a call from the nice lady at Ruger. She informed me that they got my Alaskan .454 I sent in for the "binding" problem and would have it back to me by next week. A two week turn around is pretty impressive--assuming its fixed! If you need your gun back quickly send them a letter and they prioritize it.

I have read in other postings that the binding only pertains to lead bullets and other hard ball types seem to work fine.

So what is the load to use to prove this out? Federal 45 Colt 225 grain Semi-wadcutter HP?
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Thumbs up Ruger AK 454

Let us know how it worked out.......one of my next pistol to buy!
    Alaska