Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading to the launch

Default Heading to the launch

Finally got her ready to go. Just one coat of wax at the woodshop in town, check the shrimp pot line and she is going in, in the morning. Blowing too hard at the launch this afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Can't wait for the report! Looks like you will have snow for a while longer.

Default I plan on going tomorrow if all works out

Will be hitting Whittier though. I called on friday and they said the ramps are good. Already behind one weekend. Looks like beautiful weather too. Think you will see any bear tracks? I am not sure what to think this year. I guess we will find out. Have a good trip.

I am hitting Whittier, also. I checked it out on Thursday and there is a lot of snow. It will be May before the parking lot opens unless they start moving snow around.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Good luck to both of you guys. Wish I were too.

I'm Jealous... Take me PLEASE
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Nice boat and truck! Looks like you had a pretty rough winter though =(

Boy if I'm ever in Valdez I'm gonna have to meet you Dave, possibly the most helpful and kind person I've found on the forums

Please let us know how the ramps are. I am excited to get my new boat in, but decided to wait for ice / snow free ramps.

Have fun...keep us posted!!

AkBillyBow

Default If ever

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Nice boat and truck! Looks like you had a pretty rough winter though =(

Boy if I'm ever in Valdez I'm gonna have to meet you Dave, possibly the most helpful and kind person I've found on the forums
    If you ever do make it over bring a fish license and some time to fish! Thanks for the kind words.

Default She floats

She floated off of the trailer. Started first try and purred like a kitten come home. All tied up at the slip with 60+ gallons of fuel and read for adventure.

Default Didn't go

Nasty wind, shortly followed by coudy skies. Cold with 40kt gusts, just not no fun. Oh well, next weekend.

Default mmm shrimp

Dave,
    Wish I could be down there for the opener with you, let me know if you hammer any kings or hear of anyone doing well, just out of curiousity. Have fun, might run into you this summer sometime.
    Cody

Smile Whittier Snow and Parking

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Will be hitting Whittier though. I called on friday and they said the ramps are good. Already behind one weekend. Looks like beautiful weather too. Think you will see any bear tracks? I am not sure what to think this year. I guess we will find out. Have a good trip.
    I delivered a boat to the new owner's on Friday April 11 @ noon, 6' plus of snow in main parking lot, the paved parking lot by the harbour master is down to one lane GOAT trail, only one launch ramp and when you come up out of the launch there is a 12-14'' step up ice and snow!!!! 4 wheel drive and chains or a second vehicle to pull if you spin out. Good luck.

Default Still winter in Whittier

I sea trialed the new boat yesterday. We hit the 10:30 tunnel. The temperature was still below freezing. The landing at the top of the ramp is packed snow. This ice/snow pack extends down the ramp about 40 feet. They have run a sand truck down the ramp, so there is a lot of grit for traction. We had two 2500 GMC diesels, hooked nose to nose to launch the boat. We still had our studs on and the launch went well. I liked the added security of the other truck while backing down 12000+ pounds! There was a 15-20 mph breeze from the west that ended once we hit Port Wells. Flat, calm all day out there. The season parking lot is under 6+ feet of snow, so without some help with a loader, it will be awhile. Over all it was a great day. I will post a couple of pictures this evening with a write up of the seatrial (29' Galcier Craft)

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I sea trialed the new boat yesterday. We hit the 10:30 tunnel. The temperature was still below freezing. The landing at the top of the ramp is packed snow. This ice/snow pack extends down the ramp about 40 feet. They have run a sand truck down the ramp, so there is a lot of grit for traction. We had two 2500 GMC diesels, hooked nose to nose to launch the boat. We still had our studs on and the launch went well. I liked the added security of the other truck while backing down 12000+ pounds! There was a 15-20 mph breeze from the west that ended once we hit Port Wells. Flat, calm all day out there. The season parking lot is under 6+ feet of snow, so without some help with a loader, it will be awhile. Over all it was a great day. I will post a couple of pictures this evening with a write up of the seatrial (29' Galcier Craft)
    Can't wait to see the pics!!!!

After hearing the state of the launch and parking I am almost wondering if I should wait an extra week and see if they do any snow removal after the people start showing up this next weekend.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Homer and Seldovia are clear and sunny

Looks great on the camera.
    that weather should be up hear in a few days.

Default MPH - MPG - GPH Please

Pete,

I would be very interested to see what you got for fuel burn and speeds as well when you post your pics. I'm glad to hear you had a successful first trip.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Pete,

I would be very interested to see what you got for fuel burn and speeds as well when you post your pics. I'm glad to hear you had a successful first trip.

Jim
    I am tickled with the numbers so far as well as the ride. I am way under propped, though. I hit the rev limitter and still had 1.5" of throttle left. At 4400 I was doing 32.3 mph, burning 19.2 gallons per hour, 1.68 mpg. I hope to crack 2 mpg with the correct props. I will post more stats when I get home this evening. Top speed was 46.4 mph. More to come.

Default I was lied to

I had a gut feeling it woud calm down out there, but the harbor master said it was 40kt winds, or atleast someone in the office who answered the phone did. Oh well.

Spoiled One, good to hear you got her wet. Wouldn't like the 19+ gallons per hour though. I have heard of a lot worse though. Once the motors are broke in you will be able to up your pitch too.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default 19 gall per hour

im gonna have to figure out some sort of budgeting to afford that some day. no way i could do that now and the way fuel prices are going ill never be able to keep up. my boat im running 3500 at about 32-33 miles per hour at about 9 gph. little better gas milage but no where near the comfort and i cant get that kind of milage in three footers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast