Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Heading to the launch

  1. #1
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Heading to the launch

    Finally got her ready to go. Just one coat of wax at the woodshop in town, check the shrimp pot line and she is going in, in the morning. Blowing too hard at the launch this afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,080

    Default

    Can't wait for the report! Looks like you will have snow for a while longer.

  3. #3
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,293

    Default I plan on going tomorrow if all works out

    Will be hitting Whittier though. I called on friday and they said the ramps are good. Already behind one weekend. Looks like beautiful weather too. Think you will see any bear tracks? I am not sure what to think this year. I guess we will find out. Have a good trip.

  4. #4
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    I am hitting Whittier, also. I checked it out on Thursday and there is a lot of snow. It will be May before the parking lot opens unless they start moving snow around.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  5. #5
    Member Ebbtide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Good luck to both of you guys. Wish I were too.

  6. #6
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    I'm Jealous... Take me PLEASE
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  7. #7

    Default

    Nice boat and truck! Looks like you had a pretty rough winter though =(

    Boy if I'm ever in Valdez I'm gonna have to meet you Dave, possibly the most helpful and kind person I've found on the forums

  8. #8
    Member AkBillyBow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Please let us know how the ramps are. I am excited to get my new boat in, but decided to wait for ice / snow free ramps.

    Have fun...keep us posted!!

    AkBillyBow

  9. #9
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default If ever

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Nice boat and truck! Looks like you had a pretty rough winter though =(

    Boy if I'm ever in Valdez I'm gonna have to meet you Dave, possibly the most helpful and kind person I've found on the forums
    If you ever do make it over bring a fish license and some time to fish! Thanks for the kind words.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  10. #10
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default She floats

    She floated off of the trailer. Started first try and purred like a kitten come home. All tied up at the slip with 60+ gallons of fuel and read for adventure.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  11. #11
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,293

    Default Didn't go

    Nasty wind, shortly followed by coudy skies. Cold with 40kt gusts, just not no fun. Oh well, next weekend.

  12. #12
    New member fishnhuntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    317

    Default mmm shrimp

    Dave,
    Wish I could be down there for the opener with you, let me know if you hammer any kings or hear of anyone doing well, just out of curiousity. Have fun, might run into you this summer sometime.
    Cody

  13. #13

    Smile Whittier Snow and Parking

    Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Will be hitting Whittier though. I called on friday and they said the ramps are good. Already behind one weekend. Looks like beautiful weather too. Think you will see any bear tracks? I am not sure what to think this year. I guess we will find out. Have a good trip.
    I delivered a boat to the new owner's on Friday April 11 @ noon, 6' plus of snow in main parking lot, the paved parking lot by the harbour master is down to one lane GOAT trail, only one launch ramp and when you come up out of the launch there is a 12-14'' step up ice and snow!!!! 4 wheel drive and chains or a second vehicle to pull if you spin out. Good luck.

  14. #14
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default Still winter in Whittier

    I sea trialed the new boat yesterday. We hit the 10:30 tunnel. The temperature was still below freezing. The landing at the top of the ramp is packed snow. This ice/snow pack extends down the ramp about 40 feet. They have run a sand truck down the ramp, so there is a lot of grit for traction. We had two 2500 GMC diesels, hooked nose to nose to launch the boat. We still had our studs on and the launch went well. I liked the added security of the other truck while backing down 12000+ pounds! There was a 15-20 mph breeze from the west that ended once we hit Port Wells. Flat, calm all day out there. The season parking lot is under 6+ feet of snow, so without some help with a loader, it will be awhile. Over all it was a great day. I will post a couple of pictures this evening with a write up of the seatrial (29' Galcier Craft)
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  15. #15
    Member DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I sea trialed the new boat yesterday. We hit the 10:30 tunnel. The temperature was still below freezing. The landing at the top of the ramp is packed snow. This ice/snow pack extends down the ramp about 40 feet. They have run a sand truck down the ramp, so there is a lot of grit for traction. We had two 2500 GMC diesels, hooked nose to nose to launch the boat. We still had our studs on and the launch went well. I liked the added security of the other truck while backing down 12000+ pounds! There was a 15-20 mph breeze from the west that ended once we hit Port Wells. Flat, calm all day out there. The season parking lot is under 6+ feet of snow, so without some help with a loader, it will be awhile. Over all it was a great day. I will post a couple of pictures this evening with a write up of the seatrial (29' Galcier Craft)
    Can't wait to see the pics!!!!

    After hearing the state of the launch and parking I am almost wondering if I should wait an extra week and see if they do any snow removal after the people start showing up this next weekend.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

  16. #16

    Default Homer and Seldovia are clear and sunny

    Looks great on the camera.
    that weather should be up hear in a few days.

  17. #17
    Member jrogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,539

    Default MPH - MPG - GPH Please

    Pete,

    I would be very interested to see what you got for fuel burn and speeds as well when you post your pics. I'm glad to hear you had a successful first trip.

    Jim

  18. #18
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Pete,

    I would be very interested to see what you got for fuel burn and speeds as well when you post your pics. I'm glad to hear you had a successful first trip.

    Jim
    I am tickled with the numbers so far as well as the ride. I am way under propped, though. I hit the rev limitter and still had 1.5" of throttle left. At 4400 I was doing 32.3 mph, burning 19.2 gallons per hour, 1.68 mpg. I hope to crack 2 mpg with the correct props. I will post more stats when I get home this evening. Top speed was 46.4 mph. More to come.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  19. #19
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,293

    Default I was lied to

    I had a gut feeling it woud calm down out there, but the harbor master said it was 40kt winds, or atleast someone in the office who answered the phone did. Oh well.

    Spoiled One, good to hear you got her wet. Wouldn't like the 19+ gallons per hour though. I have heard of a lot worse though. Once the motors are broke in you will be able to up your pitch too.

  20. #20
    Member akriverrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States
    Posts
    754

    Default 19 gall per hour

    im gonna have to figure out some sort of budgeting to afford that some day. no way i could do that now and the way fuel prices are going ill never be able to keep up. my boat im running 3500 at about 32-33 miles per hour at about 9 gph. little better gas milage but no where near the comfort and i cant get that kind of milage in three footers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •