Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Memorial Wknd Kings from the Bank

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    29

    Default Memorial Wknd Kings from the Bank

    My pop is coming up from St. Louie on his first vacation ever without my mum so that he doesn't have to spend any of his time in gift shops. I want to show the guy the good time that he deserves and hopefully get him on the other end of his first salmon. Last summer we fished for a day and he caught a shoe in Bird Creek. Anyone have any hints on amiable bank fishing spots within a three hour drive of Anchorage- aside from Ship Creek where I am already familiar with- that might have a good king run by Memorial Weekend? Are we going to be too early?
    Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
    *Hey Rick P- I'm gonna give you a call this week. I've been out of commission since the Wasilla show but am on the rebound.

  2. #2
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    The lower pennisula can be very good, it can also be very bad
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  3. #3

    Default Kasilof!

    The Kasilof should be in prime time on Memorial Day. Expect a crowd (walk downriver from the confluence if you can). I also agree with the Lower Pen rivers/streams.

    Good luck

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    My pop is coming up from St. Louie on his first vacation ever without my mum so that he doesn't have to spend any of his time in gift shops. I want to show the guy the good time that he deserves and hopefully get him on the other end of his first salmon. Last summer we fished for a day and he caught a shoe in Bird Creek. Anyone have any hints on amiable bank fishing spots within a three hour drive of Anchorage- aside from Ship Creek where I am already familiar with- that might have a good king run by Memorial Weekend? Are we going to be too early?
    Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
    *Hey Rick P- I'm gonna give you a call this week. I've been out of commission since the Wasilla show but am on the rebound.
    I lost a shoe at Bird Creek, was it a Teva? I like Deep Creek. It has a good campground, and is can be really good. But, none of them are any good if the fish are not there yet. I can't remember if it was last year or the year before, there were not there yet and it was depressing.

  5. #5
    Member OKElkHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    449

    Default

    I believe that is the weekend that Deep Creek and the Anchor open for Kings, but not sure, check the regs. It is a little early but there may be one or two caught. I will be headin' out on a halibut/king boat from Ninilchick that weekend, but that is salt water trolling for the kings. I think that weekend is gonna be hit and miss for kings.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    29

    Default Correction

    Correction: I spoke with my dad this morning and it was a pair of underwear he caught in Bird Creek, not a shoe. Did you lose that along with your Teva, as well?
    Am I to understand that the runs occur earlier in the southern portion of the peninsula and progresses northward as the weeks go by?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Correction: I spoke with my dad this morning and it was a pair of underwear he caught in Bird Creek, not a shoe. Did you lose that along with your Teva, as well?
    Am I to understand that the runs occur earlier in the southern portion of the peninsula and progresses northward as the weeks go by?
    You have that right. And no I don't remember losing any underwear. That is kinda strange.... Moreover, I would call Memorial Day Weekend mostly a "miss" affair, but it sure can be good. As cold as it has been, it looks like the kings are going to have to wait a bit before moving into fresh water.

  8. #8
    Member RMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    I have found Homer spit pond kings to be very cooperative on MDW.

    Last year I caught 1 king per night for three nights of fishing and the longest trip was 90 minutes. This was May 26-28 last year I believe. I lost two fish for each one I landed. I was working 10-11 hour days on the hospital addition/remodel at the time.

    Unfortunately the fishing was never better than those three nights. I went a few more times including one 4 hour marathon but never saw more than 5 fish landed per trip.

    I really believe that the fish were either being snagged out or simply netted out each night because I have never seen the fishing so poor there. Every day 90% of the people fishing there were bobber snagging/tightlining or whatever they were calling it.

    --

    Homer is about 4.5 hours from Anchorage but beautiful if you have not been there before.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

  9. #9

    Default 4 hour marathon

    I consider my marathon trips to be 12 straight hours of fishing or more. Just kidding though. I too have done well there on MDW. It is usually the first place I catch a king. I think I will start a new thread on the longest anyone has fished straight for kings.

  10. #10
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I really believe that the fish were either being snagged out or simply netted out each night because I have never seen the fishing so poor there. Every day 90% of the people fishing there were bobber snagging/tightlining or whatever they were calling it.


    Ever since people started bobber snagging a few years ago there hasn't been the number of fish in there that there used to. There was a couple of proposals in the last BOF meeting that aimed to eliminate bobber snagging.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  11. #11
    Member RMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    I used to always catch my first kings there too.

    My formula for run timing was to see if the 15th fell on the weekend. If 15 May was Saturday or Sunday I would wait to go the next week end.

    But like this year the 15th is Thursday so I would go on the weekend of the May 17th for kings and expect them to be there.

    I find the early kings to be more cooperative in biting. Plus they are the best tasting to me.

    My wifes first Homer king there was early around the 15th and no one that I talked to had seen any kings there yet. After about three hours a kid hooks into one and I told my wife to be ready for one. She was reluctant because we had already been fishing for so long. Sure enough about the time the kids fish hit the bank my wife hooked into hers.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

  12. #12
    Member garnede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    soon to be back in Alaska
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Ever since people started bobber snagging a few years ago there hasn't been the number of fish in there that there used to. There was a couple of proposals in the last BOF meeting that aimed to eliminate bobber snagging.

    They changed the rules for the spit to say that the tackle at the end of your line must be a hook. No more bobber snagging. This will make the fishing better because when I was there last year all of the fish were spooked by anything moving in the water since so many had been foul hooked by the snaggers.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

    http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

  13. #13
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    They changed the rules for the spit to say that the tackle at the end of your line must be a hook. No more bobber snagging. This will make the fishing better because when I was there last year all of the fish were spooked by anything moving in the water since so many had been foul hooked by the snaggers.

    Good... I'm glad it passed
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  14. #14
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,833

    Default boots

    Were the fish they were snagging boots or freshies?

  15. #15
    Member RMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    I was only there until about the 10th of June so they were chromers.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

  16. #16
    Member trapman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tazlina AK
    Posts
    23

    Default Ninilchik

    If you are going to be on the penninisula during memorial, expect crowds, especially if clam tides coincide. Also give the harbor in Ninilchik a try, eggs and a bobber seem to work well.
    2007 Ocean Pro HT/ET, 150 Yamaha, Valdez,Ak, "Un-Reel"

  17. #17
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    Combat fishing at it's best.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Thanks for the input everyone. Unfortunately, I don't think we'd have the time to make it to Homer. I've got a dog and am also caring for my landlady's dog that weekend. About 10 hours is the longest we could be away and I don't think we'd get enough quality fishing time if we drove all the way to Homer. I was thinking that the Kasilof is about as far south as we can make it and still get our lines wet for a good amount of time. I remember my boss catching kings on Fish Creek the last week of May, so I'm hoping that there'll be some fish this far north. Regardless if we tie into any kings or not, we'll have a great time just being out together and trash talking back and forth.
    How about the river by Hope- Resurrection, I think- do they have a king run? Or anywhere else in that area? Any online resources that give approximate dates on the summer salmon runs in specific areas?

  19. #19
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    How about the river by Hope- Resurrection, I think- do they have a king run? Or anywhere else in that area? Any online resources that give approximate dates on the summer salmon runs in specific areas?
    Sixmile and ressurection might have king runs but its illegal to fish for them unless you are in saltwater, which would be dangerous and probably a huge waste of time.

    Since you don't have much time might I suggest ship creek or the tailrace.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  20. #20
    Member garnede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    soon to be back in Alaska
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    As long as you don't mind company head to the Eklutna tailrace. Or to the burma landing on the little su.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

    http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •