Thread: Anchorage air taxi's/charters

Default Anchorage air taxi's/charters

I'm new to Alaska (thank you USAF) and trying to find some help in selecting an air taxi/charter out of Anchorage. I am still in the early planning stages for a hunt that will probably occur next year (when the savings allow) but here is what I have so far.

1. Depart Anchorage area to avoid need for additional connecting flights and meat shipments.
    2. Target either caribou or moose depending on the overall cost. Not really looking for "trophy" but would love to luck into one. More interested in good odds of filling my tag.
    3. Would like to do unguided hunt for two or three hunters to keep cost down. None of us are seasoned veterans of Alaskan hunting so this will be a learning experience.

One thing that I cant figure out while looking at the various air taxis is the way that they charge. Some charge a flat fee for a hunt while others charge by the hour. It seems like the hourly rate is much cheaper than the flat rate, especially when split between 2-3 hunters. Am I missing something here? Thanks for any help.

Default welcome

Welcome to Alaska and thanks for your service!!

My suggestion for air taxi's from Anchorage would be Trail Ridge Air on Lake Hood. They are a great outfit. I have used them on numerous occasions.

You can look also south to the Kenai Penn..... there are outfits down there like Talon air that can get you into some of the same areas from Anchorage and it may be a bit cheaper to drive south (though with gas prices who knows).

I like outfits that will give you a flat rate for a given area and type of hunt.... If you use the prop time method you could get stuck with a much higher bill..... though If you have done your homework and know exactly where you want to go the prop time method will likely be a bit cheaper...

Good luck on your hunts.

Default prop time vs flat rate

It seems to me that the outfits offering flat rate drop off hunts go to the same spots year after year. Nothing wrong with going to a proven spot.

If you know the area you would like to hunt, and you know the plane can get in and out of there, then you might be able to save a few bucks and pay by the hour and get away from a few more people.

Just my 2 cents