Thread: Grounding bear fences

Default Grounding bear fences

I have found that bear fences don't work well when installed in gravel due to lack of a good ground. I've heard that there is an add-on product out there that will cure this grounding problem. Does anyone know what that product is and where to get it?

All you do is add a ground wire in between the hot wires. The bear need to touch a hot and ground for the fence to work.

Default alt +/- is right...

Rutting Moose got it...

Low moisture in soil such as gravel, sand and even glacier silt limits the electricity from returning through the natural ground(soil)...

There was a post in the gear forum about this...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=27692

I've used the method Rutting Moose described. It's the only way I've found in getting FULL POWER delivered to the curious intruder...

I ground the system into the earth even if it's a poor conductor
    My top wire is a hot +
    6" down a ground -
    6" down another hot +
    6" down another ground -
    6" down another hot +

A bear stands on the ground and touches a hot wire they might get something... Maybe they are wet, maybe it's raining.. Who knows I always ground the system in the earth just in case...

A bear touches any two and WHAPPP 8-10K volts!!!! Is it fool proof? no - but it's the best I've come up with yet...

Default Bear fences

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like everyone has the same problem-float trips, gravel bars and no electricity.

Default one other thought

Depending on what you're attempting to protect... On some float trips we use the fence to protect the cataraft more than the tent. The boat is my BEST means of traveling the 80-100 miles to the next pick up point...

Anyway, on a couple of occassions we found nice big gravel bars that had an eddy or slew off the main river. We anchor the boat in the eddy. (anchor meaning the water is slack and we tie off to something that WON'T give way)... the water was very shallow but the boat floats. We put the fence round it. Just stick the posts in the mud. You wanna talk about effective grounding... 3" of water will do the trick!!!

In these cases we run either a single or double HOT+ and then ground the controller... IT works great.

Default Suggestion

For all you guys who use an electric fence but worry about weight, TRY THIS.
    Go to your local archery shop and purchase 2 aluminum arrows = 4 rods,cut the length in half(about 16"). PUT inserts in both ends, put bullet style points on the end you push in the ground. You can use a small bolt and washer on the other to hold the wire to the ground rod. Lite strong and effective, And easily replaced if lost or left in the woods
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !