Thread: Lamiglas 8wt fly rod?

Default Lamiglas 8wt fly rod?

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? I have heard their other rods are pretty good, but I have not heard anything on their fly rods.
    Thanks

I have a buddy that fishes one all summerfor reds and he seems pleased with it. It also doubles as a backup rod during the fall trout season too,
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Which model is the eight weight? I have several of the G1000's series flyrods. The eight weight in this series G1298-8 is a good one for fishing for bows in the Kenai or for steelhead, sockeye in the Russian River, and even for silvers. It is a little light if you are looking to use it to fish for sockeyes in the main Kenai River in a crowded situation. A little heavy for bows in stocked trout type lakes. Anyway, I have used them for years and this a a solid rod. I would give it a "thumbs up".

Default Lami 8 Wt

I've had one for about 20 years and caught many sockeye on the Kenai and even some kings on the Kasilof and Chuit! Good Rod.

Default Why Lamiglass...

While they may be nice rods I think for the same money a G Loomis East Fork or Sage Fli would be a better choice.

Default I agree

I agree, and indeed, for less money but great quality rod (equal in many ways), check out Temple Fork Outfitters. I bought my Lami 20 years ago... if I were to buy one today, it would likely be different... as suggested

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    I agree, and indeed, for less money but great quality rod (equal in many ways), check out Temple Fork Outfitters. I bought my Lami 20 years ago... if I were to buy one today, it would likely be different... as suggested
    Forgot about TFO they are great rods too!!

where are you finding g loomis and sage rods for the same price as a Lamiglas? Please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcLaughlin View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with one of these? I have heard their other rods are pretty good, but I have not heard anything on their fly rods.
    Thanks
    I have owned a 6wt Lamiglass for 10 years now and love it. I also have an 8wt just bought and a 10wt. Never had a problem with customer service. on my 10wt. The top broke and they replaced it quick.

6wt. I use on the Russian for Reds and silvers.

8Wt. bone fish in florida and hawaii

10wt. Kings and ling cod.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by MMcLaughlin View Post
    where are you finding g loomis and sage rods for the same price as a Lamiglas? Please let me know.
    Guess I would lump the entry level rods all together in the $250-350 Retail price range.... Redington excluded; TFO, Loomis East Fork, and Fli Sage would be my top three picks.... Maybe I just havn't cant enough Lami's.... Most that I have cast are sticks. I suppose if you are really not fly casting and just doing the Kenai Flip or chuck and duck all things being equal the Lami is a better investment for less money.... But, if you are going to actually fly casting and want to punch a line through the air then I will stand by my recommendations.

Default WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post

6wt. I use on the Russian for Reds and silvers.
    WOW, I am impressed! while I have hooked and landed many sockeye spawners while targeting bows and dollies with my 6 wt, I would feel greatly undergunned working the Russian with it. Not only the current, but the crowds. If I had plenty of running room and didn't mind taking the time, I could pull it off.

Granted, my SLT is a bit soft for woopin up on fiesty sockeye and coho, I don't think that it would be my first choice for the Russian. The battle would be epic nonetheless.

Default 6 Wt Large Late Run Kenai Red...

WOW, I am impressed! while I have hooked and landed many sockeye spawners while targeting bows and dollies with my 6 wt, I would feel greatly undergunned working the Russian with it. Not only the current, but the crowds. If I had plenty of running room and didn't mind taking the time, I could pull it off.

Granted, my SLT is a bit soft for woopin up on fiesty sockeye and coho, I don't think that it would be my first choice for the Russian. The battle would be epic nonetheless.
    My goto russian rod is a 10ft 6 wt.... While I would not recommend this rod to clients... This is the perfect rod wsp for early run Reds.... Howerver, Here is a late run red caught accross Beaver Cr on gravel bar w/ this six weight.

Most guys take pictures of themselves w/ a nice fish, I prefer a pretty lady hold my fish!

Not bad at all if you know how to fight the fish.. I don't fish the confluence anymore. To many people there. Inside the Russian I have alittle more room to fight the fish. Sometimes the reds come straight to the bank and others it takes a few mintues. I do get looks from time to time when people see the fly rod I have. I have even had people try to tell me that fly rod is to light to catch reds. Love proving them wrong.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Still impressed

Ty and Gray,

I agree on both accounts.. and yes Ty, both the lady and fish are impressive... Personally, I feel that my SLT is a bit soft for the big coho or sockeye.

I have always said, "It's a good thing that sockeye don't get to be 40 pounds or we would never land one" if you know what I mean.

Back to the topic at hand, particularly as displayed with the 6wt accounts... the 8wt Lami will be plenty of rod for sockeye, coho and most kings in small water...

Ty and Gray,

I agree on both accounts.. and yes Ty, both the lady and fish are impressive... Personally, I feel that my SLT is a bit soft for the big coho or sockeye.

I have always said, "It's a good thing that sockeye don't get to be 40 pounds or we would never land one" if you know what I mean.

Back to the topic at hand, particularly as displayed with the 6wt accounts... the 8wt Lami will be plenty of rod for sockeye, coho and most kings in small water...
    8wt is a perfect size rod for the Russian. Strong enough but still light enough to have a good fight.. I agree, I would not recommend anew people down there with a 6wt. People there for the most part are nice. But if you keeping taking along time to bring a fish in every time, patience wear thin real quick with your fellow fisherman..
    When I hit the river hardly anyone is there. So I can enjoy the beauty of the fight. When people show up I put more muscle into the rod and get in and released quicker...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have a lamiglas 6wt that ive fished with for 9 years now, great tough rod.

I've fished from the Kenai to Illiamna for reds on my 8s and 9s, I have fished a few brands. I am currently throwing a redington. The lami's are good rods for sure, I would tend to go with their back bouncing rods if I was buying a lami, meaning for fly rods I might look else where.

Loomis is awesome, I have several but they are more spendy. I highly recommend TFO, they are great rods and they have a bomb proof, shut it in the car door and send it back warranty!

Also, I find that their prices are very reasonable making it possible to get a travel rod, I am much happier with my travel rods even when I'm driving right to the water because they are so much easier, regardless of what you are doing. My current rods are 3 and 5 piecers and I am very happy, never get anything in fewer pieces unless it was a specialty rod or a spey that only came in big sections. Just more pleasurable to store and carry.

That's my 2 cents, it's pretty much the same every time someone asks me about getting a rod but that is what I have seen so far. My new king rod will be a TFO. Great rods, good prices, best warranty, I really can't find a fault especially for heavier gear.
    River Runnin