Thread: Saltery River Weir to be reinstated...

Default Saltery River Weir to be reinstated...

One of my outfitter contacts on Kodiak informed me yesterday that ADF&G in Kodiak will
    re-establish weir placement on this river. This weir was discontinued several years ago and plans call for it to be in place this summer.

The weir has a profound effect on this fishery. It will somewhat stall the 40 to 50 thousand
    sockeye that are predidcted for the yearly return to the lake. Fish will traditionally stack-up in the major holes along the way. Bed Springs Hole is the classic example, and if you wind up being there when the fish are there, you'll be in awe. I've been there when this happens, and the fishing simply becomes superlative due to so much opportunity.

The run to Saltery is via guided ATV outfitters, and there are several in town who provide this service. If you are on the island this summer, mid-July is usually the peak. Possession amounts can be generous, too. In the past, ADF&G let the angler keep five.

Don't miss this opportunity if you make it to Kodiak this summer. This re-instatement of the weir might just as well stack-up in your mind with the memory of an oustanding day...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default saltery weir

I actually work for Fish and Game in town and it is not f&g that is having the weir put in at Saltery, it is KRAA, Kodiak Regional Aquaculture Association-the salmon hatchery folks. F&G will help out some, but because of renewed funds through KRAA, it is they who will be manning the weir out there.

Default enhancement...

I stand corrected.
    The information was passed on by me as I received it.
    Glad to know that the weir has returned...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com