Thread: Harp Mountain 4/11

Thumbs up Harp Mountain 4/11

Went to ski Harp Mountain at the end of Hiland Road today after work. When we got there it was beautiful and warm. I almost left my shell at the truck and started without a jacket. Common sense prevailed, and I would later be very glad that I brought my shell with me.

We skinned up this ridge and then quite a ways beyond up and to the left. (You can see the zig-zagged skin track that we set.)

Here is a shot of my friend Brian and his dog Roxanne climbing up behind me.

Here's a view of a portion of what's to come while standing in the same spot as the previous picture, but there was more beyond this knoll.

Last edited by Brian M; 04-12-2008 at 00:19.

The previous picture was the last we saw of the sun for a while. It started to snow a bit and got quite windy for a while (40 mph gusts?). It was a bit chilly, but the flat light was more of a concern. When we reached the top, this is what it looked like:

Here is a view of Eagle River Road from the top (we didn't ski down that way, but had a clear view).

Before beginning our decent, we had to take off our skis and climb down 50 feet or so to get below these rocks.

On the way down:

Another action shot of my friend:

At the bottom, luck would have it that the sun finally came back out.

Last thoughts for the day:

Wow Brian. What a great story told through those pictures. It truly is an amazing place we live in. My favorite is of the pic with your friend carving his skis on the right side of the frame, with his dog clearly chasing him on the left. What a great shot that is.

I don't know if it gets any better than that Brian! I love the last few photos!

I better be careful...there isn't enough time in my days to add another sport