Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slay the evil Pike!

Default Slay the evil Pike!

Hi all,

I have been reading adn.com for few days now. Mostly the fishing stuff, but other events as well. Thanks to Jim 'fishing dude' actually.

I came upon this article: http://www.adn.com/fishing/story/291191.html and thought, this is a great way to get rid of pike.

The thing is, I love catching pike. So, I would gladly get rid of some!!

Does anyone have any suggestions close to anchorage? I was at a sportsmans warehouse over the weekend and in the 'sale bin' I found these awesome mepps spoons for pike that normally go for like $8 but I bought them for $0.99. When I found the first one through all the other crap, I actually screamed out: "I win!!". No one laughed except for me .

Anyways, I got the gear, I have the time, I dont have the where.

Thanks

Almost forgot.

Ill be there from may 30th until August. So, hopefully I can target some during the evenings after work...

If I end up working.

hey jonathan
    i know of an good spot for pike in anchorage. best i have been able too land was 43" . behind sand lake school is a dock. but if you have a small boat go to the public access off of jewel lake road and there is a spot on the lake where i go in spring to snag them sometimes. pickled pike is excellent if you have the time.sorry off subject, anyway sand lake has trout dollies a few lake trout and pike. another good spot is fire lake in eagle river. can fish right beside the road or if you have a small boat it works fine to but you have to watch out for the float planes landing in the middle. those are the only lakes i have caught decent sized pike out of close to anchorage. jeff

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    hey jonathan
    i know of an good spot for pike in anchorage. best i have been able too land was 43" . behind sand lake school is a dock. but if you have a small boat go to the public access off of jewel lake road and there is a spot on the lake where i go in spring to snag them sometimes. pickled pike is excellent if you have the time.sorry off subject, anyway sand lake has trout dollies a few lake trout and pike. another good spot is fire lake in eagle river. can fish right beside the road or if you have a small boat it works fine to but you have to watch out for the float planes landing in the middle. those are the only lakes i have caught decent sized pike out of close to anchorage. jeff
    Sand Lake has Lake Trout?

Default lake trout

sand lake was stocked by fish and game with lake trout about 10-12 years ago. i have only caught 3 of them while trolling hering for pike. biggest one i caught was 26" and it was a nice suprise. there are alot of rainbows and dollies. i catch a few rainbows in the 20" range every year. dollies are just not to my taste. but yes there are still a few lake trout in sand lake. they are usuall in the deep part of the lake near the n.e. side.

Default stocking report lake trout

Location Species Date Number Avg. Length (in.) Clunie L Lake Trout May 30, 1999 2,000 8.7 Clunie L Lake Trout Jun 30, 1999 150 8.5 Clunie L Lake Trout May 10, 2001 2,000 8.7 Sand L Lake Trout Jun 07, 1999 1,011 8.6 Sand L Lake Trout Jun 12, 1999 1,011 8.6 Sand L Lake Trout Jun 25, 2001 1,296 8.8

Default pike

I may be a bit off topic with this but didn't see a reason to start a new thread. In my preparation for arrival I've been reading the ADN also and saw this article, I thought the derby idea was great. Back in Va. we had several great locations get completely over run by pike. Since we fished bass, crappie and sunfish (bluegill, whatever you want to call them) we never kept pike. Are they good eats? Are they a good fish for the deep fryer?

Phil

pike are good to eat...just have to learn how to fillet them. they have "y" bones so you get 3 fillets not the normal 2. but yes fried,bbq,baked they are excellent.

Excellent, I may have just found the species to replace catfish for fish fry parties!!!

I was talking about the derby with some friends who claimed (not really sure if they were joking) pikes will try and eat a beer can if you threw it out there!! I was bummed out that we would be arriving after the end of the derby, I wanted to have a go at it. I suppose there will be plenty of chance in the future.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Sand Lake has Lake Trout?
    Fire lake has some of the best trout fishing in the Eagle River area... And most of the ones I catch are wild, same with Tanina lake in Nacy Lakes, lots of big pike, and lots of trout.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I read that in Nancy lakes there were big pikes. Anybody know if I could get into them if Im shore bound?? Thanks

There probably are a couple. It is not loaded with them by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    I read that in Nancy lakes there were big pikes. Anybody know if I could get into them if Im shore bound?? Thanks

soda - You'd be better off hiking into Red Shirt Lake and renting a canoe. Pretty solid pike fishing there - far better than any of the previous suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    soda - You'd be better off hiking into Red Shirt Lake and renting a canoe. Pretty solid pike fishing there - far better than any of the previous suggestions.
    Brian, Thanks for the 1124th time. Ill google any canoe rental places around Red Shirt Lake.
    The word 'canoe' will convince my girlfriend to come with me too.

"Rose? Do you want to go Canoeing?"

She'll never know what happened until I hook my first pike.

Brian, Thanks for the 1124th time. Ill google any canoe rental places around Red Shirt Lake.
    The word 'canoe' will convince my girlfriend to come with me too.

"Rose? Do you want to go Canoeing?"

She'll never know what happened until I hook my first pike.
    Also, just as a tidbit of information, the hike to Red Shirt is 6 miles round trip. One of the maps says it is only 3 miles round trip. It has some pretty nice spots for tent camping at the lake where the trail ends, but bring a lot of bug spray....In my opinion the best way to get there (I think that they still allow it too) is to bike in. It is a very easy trail. The hike is nice, and there is a good population of pike in this lake.

Thanks T.R.
    That is something Ive been wondering about. Ive read in several places that hiking to your fishing spot is often needed. I dont hike. Ive never really hiked. I mean, Im a healthy guy who does his exercise, but I dont know how long 6 mile hike is?

How long is it for 1 mile hike (approx) on a easy-medium difficulty hike for a healthy 28 year old?

On an average trail, you can expect to cover about 3-4 miles/hour with a few water breaks thrown in. Don't let the word "hike" throw you off. You're just taking a walk through the woods, and usually that will lead to better fishing and less competition.

Thanks T.R.
    That is something Ive been wondering about. Ive read in several places that hiking to your fishing spot is often needed. I dont hike. Ive never really hiked. I mean, Im a healthy guy who does his exercise, but I dont know how long 6 mile hike is?

How long is it for 1 mile hike (approx) on a easy-medium difficulty hike for a healthy 28 year old?
    On a easy trail like this, most people walk about 2-3 mph. I figure 1 to 1.5 hours of steady walking to get in, and about the same going out. If you are just walking with no pack you may even travel a little more than 3 mph. There is a nice campground at the trail head called North Rolly Lake Campground. It is nice and on the lake. It can have decent trout fishing if they have stocked it recently. Some say there are pike in there, but it has been a long time that anyone that I know has caught one there.

The campground, if you can call it that at Red Shirt is primitive, remote, and free. With the extended daylight hours that we have in the summer, walking in and out of Red Shirt is no problem. I have done it many times. Normally, it is far less buggy at North Rolly Lake Campground then it is at Red Shirt. However, both can really bad.

Default Questions about Red Shirt (also comparing to Alexander):

1. How does Red Shirt compare with Alexander lake in the numbers of pike; seems like Alexander is covered with them.
    2. Does someone know if there's a limit pertaining to size/quantity of pike caught in Red Shirt during summer months?
    3. Is shoreline access pretty good around the lake or do you gotta "bushwhack" your way around it?
    4. Someone mentioned biking in, is there a place in Anchorage that rents mountain bikes?
    5. Sounds like it'd be pretty difficult getting a canoe in there, carrying one for 3 miles doesn't sound like too much fun, but is fishing from the shore effective enough and worthwhile to bring pike home?
    6. Speaking of Alexander; last summer I spoke to a F&G guy and he told me there was no way to put a dent in the population of Alexander lake pike, he said you could pull 1,000 out of there and it wouldn't effect much. I'm wondering why the slot limit there? Last year we caught 2 that went 40" & 41" and we released both (the smaller ones are better eating). From the general consensus, it sounds like getting rid of them is the way everyone wants it, except in those areas where pike are "natural" residents, and it appears the Alexander lake/creek system did not originally have a pike population???
    Pike are yummy and I'm all for keeping & eating loads of them!
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast