Thread: HELP!!!I have ?s about an AK Series Kenai Driffter

Default HELP!!!I have ?s about an AK Series Kenai Driffter

I want to know how they handel if they are too big if you own one if you have please help need to know soon so give us a call or email me thanks

1-907-883-5334 talk to Greg or Wade
    1-907-505-0371 cell
    wade13tok@yahoo.com

Default great

I have a 14 footer in my rental fleet, and its my most poplular boat.
    I l have several 14 to 18 foot rafts, but for the kenai river, this is my most rented out boat.
    The boat acts like a cat a raft due to the floor being raised and the 26 inch tubes give it good surface to float on.
    It responds very quickly and makes for an easy to control raft.
    For moose hunts it would work fine also if the river is not too shallow.
    it would be similar in draft to a cataraft in that respect.
    If you want to try one before you buy, we are going to have several at the kenai river trip on May 3rd. you are welcome to try
    or just call me,, there are a bunch of locals here on the kenai that have them.
    Max
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 04-16-2008 at 20:42. Reason: wrong number 14 changed to 26 ,,type error
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Correcting KD14X26 specifications

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    I have a 14 footer in my rental fleet, and its my most poplular boat.
    I l have several 14 to 18 foot rafts, but for the kenai river, this is my most rented out boat.
    The boat acts like a cat a raft due to the floor being raised and the 14 inch tubes give it good surface to float on.
    It responds very quickly and makes for an easy to control raft.
    For moose hunts it would work fine also if the river is not too shallow.
    it would be similar in draft to a cataraft in that respect.
    If you want to try one before you buy, we are going to have several at the kenai river trip on May 3rd. you are welcome to try
    or just call me,, there are a bunch of locals here on the kenai that have them.
    Max
    After reading Max's posting I thought his statement about the raised floor and 14" tubes was a little confusing.
    The Alaska Series Kenai Drifter 14X26 has 26" tubes that taper to 15" on the bow and stern. This gives the hull a bit more rocker (banana shape) then a standard 14' raft and gives the floor a nice drift boat like hull shape. The floor on the KD14x26 is only raised 4 and a half inches. This allows the boat to slip the current with a light load yet still go through the river braided shallows with a heavy load similar to a standard raft. Compared to a standard raft The KD 14x26 only draws about 3" more of water in slow moving shallows. Shallows with fast current I've found the current has no trouble pillowing under the raft enough to lift and push you through the shallow braided rivers like we have here Alaska.

On the KD 16X26 Kenai Drifter I only raise the floor 3 inches. The bow and stern tubes taper to 20" in diameter. I did these changes on the KD 16X26 about 5 years ago after a season of product testing on the Nanana River. These changes really dialed in the performance of the KD 16X26.

I'll have a KD14X26 at the Fairbanks Outdoor show this coming weekend.

Good Boating

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alaska Series Inflatable Boats; 04-15-2008 at 14:46. Reason: spelling error

Default Question for Jim King

Hello Jim,

I have a question about your Kenai Drifter series boats. My understanding is that the outer tubes sit lower in the water than the floor, making this boat excellent for tracking. My concern though, is that in shallow water this might give the boat less lift than a conventional design, with the outer tubes hitting bottom before the floor.

Could you comment on this? I'm trying to understand the concept better, and you built it, so I figured you could help me get a better picture of how it works.

Thanks!

BTW, Chris Stout told me that you might be on the upper Kenai trip in early May? It would be great to see you there! I would not mind taking a turn at the oars on a KD if you have one there... Seems as though a lot of folks like the boat. I want to see what all the buzz is about.

Thanks again, Jim.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thumbs up I am a pleased and proud owner of a 14-foot KD

I bought my Kenai Drifter from Jim 3 years ago and have been very pleased with it. It tracks well and turns quick. I have grounded it in 4-inches of water but we had someone step out of the boat for a few seconds to lighten the load and got going again. I frequently have 4-5 friends with me when I float and go right over the top of the big rock below the hotel and the other big rock in Schooner Bend. The first big rock has a 3-4 foot drop into the wave and we take a big blast of water about chest high on the front passengers but continue to crash through to the ripples. It's a blast. I have a friend with the 12-foot version of the same boat and with one tug on the oars (opposite directions) I was able to spin his boat 270 degrees. Mine, I can do a 360 with two strokes. The large 26-inch tubes keep the floor out of the water so other than splashing, even fully loaded, our feet stay dry. I highly recommend it. Watch out for the imitations. The true Alaska Series have several worthwhile features that the look-a-like boats left off. Thom

Default The concept that makes the Kenai Drifter work so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Hello Jim,

I have a question about your Kenai Drifter series boats. My understanding is that the outer tubes sit lower in the water than the floor, making this boat excellent for tracking. My concern though, is that in shallow water this might give the boat less lift than a conventional design, with the outer tubes hitting bottom before the floor.

Could you comment on this? I'm trying to understand the concept better, and you built it, so I figured you could help me get a better picture of how it works.

Thanks!

BTW, Chris Stout told me that you might be on the upper Kenai trip in early May? It would be great to see you there! I would not mind taking a turn at the oars on a KD if you have one there... Seems as though a lot of folks like the boat. I want to see what all the buzz is about.

Thanks again, Jim.

-Mike

Mike,
    It was good talking with you at the Fairbanks Outdoor show last weekend. Next week Ill post something about that camp fire hot shower set up I was telling you about.

On the Kenai Drifter
    There are a few concepts working together that make the Alaska Series Kenai Drifter design work.
    The first Concept is in the way the tube diameter symmetrically tapers from the large center of the tube to the smaller bow and stern tubes. On the Kenai Drifter 14x26, the center of the tubes start with a 26 inch Diameter then the tube tapers to 15 inch in the bow and stern. The Taper allows me to put pretty good rocker, (banana shape), on the bottom profile of the tubes.
    The KD 14x26 is 74 wide giving the boat a foot print on the water of 7x 7. This allows the KD14x26 to pivot instantly and easy allowing the raft to quickly set up the correct ferry angle for better control on the river.
    The second concept is in the placement of the 4000 denier self bailing floor and where on the tubes the floor is attached. The high rocker in the tubes allows me to give the bottom of the 5 thick self-bailing floor a symmetrical curvature very similar to a drift boat, this aspect helps the floor slip the current with smoother entry and exit lines.

The floor bottom on the KD14x26 is raised only 4.5 higher than the bottom of the tubes. This also reduces drag in the water with both light and heavy loads. This makes the Kenai Drifters very slick in the water whether youre slipping the current in a ferry or rowing across a lake.
    In the shallow water with no current Ive noticed the Kenai Drifter draws 1.5 to 2 inches more than my standard 14 round raft. But when the Kenai Drifter gets caught in shallow water with a little more current, it doesnt take much for the current to pillow the water up under the floor from the upstream side and give you that extra lift needed to slide through the shallows of our glacial braded rivers or the shallows on the Gulkana River just below the lake and below the falls.

I tested the first proto types of the KD16x26 and KD18x26 with the 4 rafting companies guiding on the Nenana River. The feedback they gave me was the 16 and 18 Kenai Drifters tracked a bit too well and the guides wanted more lift in the big waves. So I lowered the floor to only 3 inches higher than the bottom of the tubes and increased the bow and stern tubes to 20 inches. Lowing allowed the boats to pivot quicker and the larger bow and stern gave more lift in the big waves. The KD16X26 has started to come on strong the past few years.

Sharon and I do plan to join everyone on the Kenai float May 3rd and 4th. Well be bringing the Alaska Series 17 Tripper Inflatable Canoe. We plan to stage our Camping gear down at Jims landing in our SUV so the Canoe will be light and easy to paddle the first day.

Ive also talked to several customers that told me they plan to attend too. I think there will be a KD 12x24, a few KD 14x26 and a couple KD 16x26 river rafts on the trip. Maybe even a few of the standard Alaska Series round rafts and cats too. This should give everyone a good chance to row all the different boats.
    It should be a fun weekend.

Good Boating.

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900
    Attached Images Attached Images