Thread: Hunting the Delta CU

Default Hunting the Delta CU

I was awarded a sheep permit for the Delta Control use area. I was going to fly in today, but work circumstanses changed which totally changed my plans. This is a walk in hunt. No motorized vehicles or pack animals of any kind. Is there anyone that knows the area or who has hunted this area before that can give me any tips or lead me in the right direction on where to go to hunt in this area. thanks

Default Get your hiking boots on....

Been several years since I've been in that area but I know there are a couple of "roads" from the Richardson Highway side that get you within a few miles of sheep country.....one is coal mine road about 3 miles south of Donnelly Dome.......problem is this is a non motorized area

Get a topo map and pick one of these access routes then you COULD pack some gear in on a mountain bike which isn't easy but it beats walking......

You'd still have I'd guess 5-6 miles to where the sheep MIGHT be

Another option would be down around Black Rapids.........tougher access but shorter

On the Alaska Highway side there's a trail up little Gerstle River and possibly walking up Gerstle River but we're talking 10-15 miles one way

Your looking at a 13 mile hike from the parking area off of Coal Mine Lakes road to the drainage then probably another 6-7 miles after that. I can't remember when the atv resttriction starts but if you can get in there beforehand and drop off your gear it will make the hike in a lot easier, coming out is another story. The 13 mile hike is on a good trail but there are a few places where there's lots of mud but it's better than walking the tussocks. You could drive all the way to the end of the road and hike from there, won't be quite as long a hike but it will be up and down hiking.

Default black rapids

What is the access like to the Black Rapids area? Do you have any suggestions on any other spots, I only have 5 days.

Default This might help?

Haven't drawn the tag but do know the area a little. I was up Trims creek late last season, saw 2 nice legal sheep. Given that this is still early I imagine they moved down with the weather (was snowing at the time) That being said you can hoof it up and gain some elevation quick. Don't know what is beyond the first hill as I haven't climbed to far beyond. I don't want to send you on a goose chase but you can gain elevation quick here. Check out a topo and see what you might get to beyond! Sorry for your situation, been there and it sucks, good luck. Let me know how you fare

You cannot transport sheep hunters or their gear with motorized vehicles or pack animals from Aug 5th to the 25. Except the Richardson highway and the Charlie Boyd Airstrip on the Johnson. You CANNOT drive off the Rich or the Alaska highway. You have to hoof it in. This includes Coal Mine Lakes road and the road of the AK highway by the gerstle. I have been up the Gerstle before and it is a long haul. 20 miles to July creek. Not as far to Bradford creek. What about still flying in but flying in to Charlie Boyd Airstrip? I know someone who's doing that around the 18th.
    "The Charlie Boyd Airstrip is located about a mile below the glacier on the west side of the river (63 degrees 29’ 30”N. latitude,by 144 degrees 50’45”W. longitude) in a north/south direction or parallel with the river. It is roughly 700 feet of good usable airstrip at an elevation of about 2300 feet."

Here is some info. http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...heephunt.delta

Good luck. My partner and I are hoofing it in up the Gerstle teusday.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I will see you there, starting the hike at 0700 hours

Terry

Got a late hunt there last yr..took the wheelers all the way back and shot my first full curl ram the second day of the hunt. But again that was the late hunt when you can use motorized vehicles...Good luck

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    I will see you there, starting the hike at 0700 hours

Terry
    Are you going in solo?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Unhappy plans also changed

Crossfox, My plans changed as well.. I currently going alone.. going in on both Friday nights and comming back out Sunday evening or monday if im sick (caugh caugh ... I will be goin in down by black rapids due to the short time constarints, dont have the time too be walking 12-20 miles..
    Anyways.. good luck.
    Dave

Got to go solo, partner cancelled. So Solo for me, prob leaving Monday.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    Got to go solo, partner cancelled. So Solo for me, prob leaving Monday.

Terry

Bummer, sent you a pm.

Talking Thank You

I Appreciate Everyones Response On This, If There Is Anyone Out There Going Alone That Would Like Someone Else To Go Along, I Feel It Is Probably Not A Good Idea Going Alone. You Never Know What Could Happen. Good Luck To Everyone

Any Other Advice Would Be Appreciated