Thread: Sportsmans Show and B & J's Dip Nets

Thumbs up Sportsmans Show and B & J's Dip Nets

I have to put a plug in for B & J's Alaska Outfitters as I just picked up one of their dipnets from a drawing at the Sportsmans Show last weekend. I attended Patrick Lorentz's seminars on dipnetting and one of the drawing he had at his show was for a dip net from B&J's, well I was luckly enough to win the drawing but I figured I would get a net that I needed to upgrade from or buy more pieces to make functional. How wrong I was, B&Js donated a complete set up, 2 six foot blue poles, a large hoop with gillnet and a D handle. I'm set up for fishing this summer now. I can not believe how much lighter and easy to put away this net is from my homemade net I used last year. Now I just need the fish to show up. Thanks B & J's for you support and to Pat for the seminar tips!

That's awesome! I wonder if B&J's will be at the Fairbanks show this weekend?

Brian

I was down at B&J's today looking at their gill nets. Anyone have any experience comparing them with the custom made ones from the guy in Soldotna? Just wondering how they stack up....

If you're looking to buy a Kenai Keeper, there's one left at B&J's. I bought the second to last one. I'm sure they'll get another order in soon but I'm sure they move off the shelf much quicker when dipnetting season approaches.

Thumbs up nets and kenai keepers

This is Ken federico, founder of the South-central alaska dipnnetting association. First off, I have a net from B&J and also from Mike's welding, right outside of Soldotna just before you get to Fred Meyers. It's Sterling I believe. Both of those nets work well. You might be tempted to pick up another blue extention pole. Trust me, for the lousy 25 bucks it's worth it. If you dip the beaches, Kenai, north or south, you will be happy you picked another six feet of pole. As for your kenai Keeper, The maker of these is a member of my organization and lives here in Wasilla. If you need a contact for him, send me a private message and I will have him call you. On another note, Are you thanking Pat Lawrence, it is he who gives the seminar for B&J at the Anchorage show. maybe he now has a partner that helps, and I am out of the loop. Pat gives them every year and talking with him I learn something or two every time.
    Let's just hope that Kenai Attorney representing commercial fishing interests, and has promised to sue to stop dipnetting does not follow suit. he wants to sue to stop dipnetting so the dunes of the beaches don't get trampled to death. Habitat degradation is the new buzzword to attempts to stop dipnetting.It is all in the peninsula Clarion newspaper, out of Kenai. If anyone is interested in reading about it, I will forward a link. Let's hope it does not happen. Good luck in Dipnetting and don't be suprised to see an application to join SCADA on your windshield this summer. Good luck. Ken Federico 715-8363. I'm not shy about giving out my cell number.

They seminar flyer says he is Patrick Lorentz of Dipnet Charters, I believe he does some guiding or transporting on the Copper River, he is the one who took out Larry Csonka. Page 12- http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/ima...s2008-long.pdf
    Last edited by AKFishOn; 04-19-2008 at 18:28. Reason: spelling

Thumbs up you are right, it does say dipnet charters

I stand corrected. Patrick does give them every year and even stopped by the KRSA booth where I was working to say hello. He alluded that he was giving the class, since he makes the nets for B&J. Must have changed this year. They threw in Dipnet charters this year. It wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.

Default I guess I'm not wrong

I have always spelled Pat's name as laurance. I guess I just had the spelling wrong. It is Pat Lorentz or something like that. It is the same Guy. I just had my spelling wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    I was down at B&J's today looking at their gill nets. Anyone have any experience comparing them with the custom made ones from the guy in Soldotna? Just wondering how they stack up....

If you're looking to buy a Kenai Keeper, there's one left at B&J's. I bought the second to last one. I'm sure they'll get another order in soon but I'm sure they move off the shelf much quicker when dipnetting season approaches.
    A friend of mine bought one of the square dipnets at B&J's a couple of years ago. She also got the extension pole and the little red handle. I imagine there is a larger t-bar handle out there for these although she did not have it and I am not sure.

I borrowed her net to go twice. It was absolutely miserable to control in any kind of current. I am sure this was because the handle was so small, so if they make something bigger for hanging on to, I would suggest getting it. I bought one of the aluminum hoops from Ron in Chugiak last year. The handle portion is huge, very easy to hang on to and control, even in a fast outgoing current. Very similar to what Mike's welding sells in Soldotna. I could not be happier with it.

This is not a slam on B&J's by any means. I love that store and their products and service. But their "top of the line" dipnets I was not impressed with. Maybe there is a better configuration for the handle that I am not aware of. My friend last year told me she'd be getting rid of hers and getting one similar to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    If you're looking to buy a Kenai Keeper, there's one left at B&J's. I bought the second to last one.
    Not anymore there isn't.

Went yesterday at lunch and got the last one. I'm sure there will be more to come.

Default net shape

I would not recomend a square net. They are hard to control and if you decide to go by boat, you are screwed. Any net with the handle centered, is the best that I have found.

Is Patrick website down? I tried the dipnetters.com and came up dry. Also the Chitna dipnetters org show nothing.

Tim
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel