Thread: Brown Bear Broad Heads

Default Brown Bear Broad Heads

Let's hear some recommendations for good brown bear broad heads.

I am shooting a DXT, 72lbs, with Carbon Express 350's.

Any suggestions?

Marc
    Marc Theiler

I like two-blade heads for BIG game. I personally use Silverflame 125's, but would use 150's on a brown bear. One of my best friends killed a nice 9 footer with a 125 grain Stinger.

Default A couple

Magnus 150 grain Snuffer, Magnus Stinger 125, Wensel Woodsman.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Any weight Silver Flame - can't imagine 25 or 50 grains would make a difference. However, total arrow weight might.

Default my .02

I use a 125gr Stinger Buzzcut 2-blade for everything...including griz

Default Muzzy Baby!!

Yes I am old school. There are a ton of good broadheads. I have shot moose, Caribou and deer with Muzzy broadheads. I have had them go through the thickest part of a caribou scapula (about 3/4" thick, the ridge on the scapula at 50 yards) and also have had complete penetration centerpunching a deer backbone. It went clear through the broadside moose. Just get a high quality broadhead. I shot a moose with a cheapie cabelas head and had complete penetration also but I found two of the blades on the ground while following the blood trail. I have hit a large rock while missing a nice mule deer and bent the muzzy head like a banana and blades stayed on.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default sneaky regs

Watch out. I was reminded tonight in bowhunter ed that it is illegal to use broadheads on Alaskan big game unless the back of the blades are 90 degrees or greater all the way to the furrule. In other words, a blade that tips backwards in the least is considered a barb and is illegal. The instructors brought in 5 brand new packages of broadheads that they got at sportsman's warehouse that were illegal in alaska. Some of them were 90 degrees with the arrow but curved in slightly about 1/8 inch from meeting the ferrule. This is easier seen with a drawing...

Some of the very best designs would be illegal. Look at Simmon tree sharks. The sb-40 is definately barbed and so are many of the others if the arrow is not exactly touching the back of the blade.

http://www.simmonssharks.com/Merchan...BroadheadScrew

What is the point to this regulation I will never know. The poundage for bows is already regulated so in my opinion it makes the barbed profile on a broadhead irrelevent as they will zip on through regardless of profile.

Some of the best broadheads are mechanicals too. I think it simply boils down to quality of broadhead and poundage of bow. This sport may get regulated into oblivian. O.K. I'll admit that is a little far but so are these stupid regs.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by AKTrailblazer View Post
    Watch out. I was reminded tonight in bowhunter ed that it is illegal to use broadheads on Alaskan big game unless the back of the blades are 90 degrees or greater all the way to the furrule. In other words, a blade that tips backwards in the least is considered a barb and is illegal. The instructors brought in 5 brand new packages of broadheads that they got at sportsman's warehouse that were illegal in alaska. Some of them were 90 degrees with the arrow but curved in slightly about 1/8 inch from meeting the ferrule. This is easier seen with a drawing...
    It is also common in most other states that a barbed broadhead is illegal. New York, they have been banned since I did my IBEP in the 70's. If you search "Crimson Talon" broadheads I posted the commonly used chart there to tell the difference. The Talons had a small radius at the base that the skin could catch on and were declared illegal by the guys in Anchorage.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=crimson+talon

There are severl pictures in this post to help.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 05-01-2008 at 07:30. Reason: link

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Zwichey and Magnus are two of the best. And where real strength come to play swedged aluminums arrows with the glue on tapered board-heads kick. Three blades like the SS magnus are good as well but perfure the two blade type where real penitration is the top order. If you put it in the heart/lungs you won't need more than 1.125 to 1.25 dia two blade to kill them fast. Mr Bear proved that over and over. I have only killed four fall Black Bears three over 300lbs and one pushing that 400lb mark and all drop within 30 yards one in just 20 yards. The arrows went clean through. I have used both 520gr cedars and 2216 swedged at 530grs with a #60 Custum Kodiac Takedown recurve. With my compound I just use 125gr Muzzys. Keep a 125gr broadhead on for Browns even consider brass incerts for more weight forward.

Went with Slick Trick Standard 100 gr. for my brown bear hunt. Field point accuracy and scary sharp. Overall arrow weight 430 gr out of a Bowtech 101st @ 70 lbs.

How would you rate the montek g5's?

Default Montec's Rock!!

G5 I think makes the best broadhead out there. Put a 125g Montec straight through a black bear shoulder and all it did was bend the tip a little. True "one piece" steel construction and like their ad says, "no one ever said tough as aluminum". I loved Muzzys until I started shooting these things and will never go back. Expensive yes, but most things of high quality are!!! If you are looking for a small game tip too check out thier SGH. Hits harrrrrrrd.

I used the Slick Trick 125 grain on both my grizzly and brown bear. Hit the far shoulder on the grizzly which stopped the arrow, but it died within 60 yards. Got a full pass through on the brownie this spring and it made it 30 yards before going down.

I'm sold on those little 4 blade buggers.

Mathews Switchback XT set at 65 pounds and 29" draw. Gold Tip XT arrows.

Slick tricks are great, steel ferrule. The best I've ever used are the Silver Flames. The design of the Montecs are beautiful, but stainless steel is too soft for me, I prefer high carbon steel.

Default An Archer's Education on Broadhead lethality

I am and have been a Traditional Bowhunter for many years. While I have shot compound bows (training wheels) my heart has always been in the Traditional arena. That said I recognize each type of weapon has it's own strengths and difficiancies. The one thing I have learned about Traditional archery is the need for maximizing arrow penetration, since generally speaking Long bows do not produce as much energy as compounds. Compounds can generate more energy to drive an arrow further into an animal, with the ultimate goal of a complete pass through to open up two holes to bleed from. With less energy available via the weapon choice Traditional Archers have the need to maximize their equipment choices.

There is a very extensive study that has been conducted by Dr. Ed Ashby that is worth reading for all archers. By way of introduction Dr. Ashby is a hunter whom I venture to say has shot more animals and more large game animals, (to include two rhinos) than most living bowhunters. Dr Ashby has conducted massive amounts of research on how arrows penetrate, how broadheads split bone, and how archery as a technique kills animals. Dr. Ashby's works can be viewed via this link: http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...ubb=forum;f=24

No matter whether you shoot Traditional Archery, or Training Wheels this study is worthy of your investment of time.

This original topic of Broadhead lethality for Brown Bear is exactly on target for Dr. Ashby's subject matter. Brown bears are not considered to be a "hardened target" in the manner that Cape Buffalo are armored with their overlapping ribs design but certainly much information can be acquired from reading Dr. Ashby's work and used in making equipment selections for dangerous Brown Bear, broadheads especially.