Thread: one man cats

Default one man cats

Looking for advice and pros/cons on different brands of one man catarafts. I am looking for a 9-10ft raft, something for use on south central rivers. Not looking for cheap junk, but I also don't have to have the top of the line either. Something of good quality for a decent price. Thanks for the help.

Jake

Aire, Dave Scannon, Bucks Bags all make sollid rafts and I see lots of them on the kenai. Also sportsmans warehouse had thier own single cats and some of them are loaded up very nice. Take some time and surf the net and check them all out
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default sportsmans rafts

How do the rafts from sportsmans compare with the other brands you listed? They seem to be pretty reasonable in price. Thanks for the reply.

i have seen alot of them on the river and the guys and girls that have them seem pleased. i own a bucks bags 2 person cat and I think it is awesome. The one thing I was looking for is reinforced tubes and mine has the kevlar cover on the bottom of my tubes. not that i run over that many rocks but the extra safety is what im looking for

www.bucksbags.com

check out thier singles. i was in sportsmans yesterday and they have a very nice selection of singles from 250.00 up. I bought my raft from sportsmans and this will be my 4th year on it with not a single issue. I like the guys at alaska raft and kayak and i like thier gear but it jsut worked out that the raft i bought fit my needs a little better than what they had at the time. I would still stop in and see what they have to if i was you. They have great service and a great warrenty.

http://www.bucksbags.com/cm_item.asp?id=169
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 04-12-2008 at 08:41. Reason: 1 more link

Default rafts

Thanks for the info Chuck. I will check out both the rafts at sportsmans, and Alaska raft.

Jake

Thumbs up SW Single Cataraft

Second on the Sportsman's cataraft. Good quality... reasonable price.

Met my needs, met my expectactions.

I Have A 9' Bucks Bag Bronco Extreme & so does 3 of my buddies. Another has A outcast Pac 10 & another has a Skookums Steelheader 9'. I used my raft alot over the past 4 years & have had the bladder blow out of both toons ,but like I said I use it alot.I fixed the toons & there better than they were new.I think the Skookums is the best,followed by the outcast & then the bucks.The price of the Skookums is over 1500.00 (does'nt include shipping) the bucks & outcast are around 1000.00-1300.00.I guess what I'm tring to say is that be prepared to pay 1000.00 plus if you want a good raft.I would never buy one of those cheap rafts,your asking for it.Thats my 2 cents,hope it helped.

Default thanks for the relpies

Thank you to everyone who has offered advice in this thread. I ended up going with a fishcat cougar from outcast. I really like the double bladders in each pontoon, and how little it drafts. I can't wait for some of the lakes to open up so I can get some experience rowing it around before trying it on a river. I still need a few things like a patch kit and a life jacket, but I'm glad the hard decision is over. Thanks again for the help.

Jake

Jake,
    Sorry I did not see this sooner. I have a fish cat cougar and have had bladder trouble with them. My buddy has the same boat and the same problem. The bladders are not made very well and they pop holes like pool toys. Outcast has been great about replacing them but now I do not have the confidence to put the boat to a serious test. The frame is not as tough as I thought it would be either.
    I think the advice from the others is correct.. You need to spend $1000 to get a good reliable boat. You will get a better bladder with the pricier boat.
    The low profile of the cougar helps with the wind but I would like to sit a bit higher.

Question

Im not trying to question anyone or thier rigs on here. Im just sharing my thoughts and experience with my bucks bags 2 person raft. I have put over 200+ days on the water in mine over the last 3 years. On water from Tangle lakes on the denali hwy to the Kasilof and all over inbetween. I have never had a bladder problem, leak, frame issue or any issue at all for that matter. I have not hunted off it or hauled over 600lbs on it but the wife and I and a tent, cooler and bags on some trips have floated with us. My tubes are in great shape and the bottoms have nary a scratch on them and I do run my boat thorugh rapids and rocks and trees. not trying for the trees it just sometimes happens. I blame my wife (lol). I leave it on my pop up camper inflated all summer. I do let some air out for expansion during the summer. I run it early spring, all summer and fall through the end of october. I do take it home in the winter. I just open the valves on my tubes and let the air drain, leaving them open all winter. I unzip the tubes and let the moisture from the season dry out. I do inspect the tubes in the spring. I shoot some W-d on all my pins and open my gear bags up and let them dry out all winter. I do store it in the garage in the winter. Anyway just sharing my thoughts and hope i have more good luck with my boat. Oh and I have the sterns fishing vest/life jacket and I love it.

Chuck i'm glad you have had good luck with your Buck's Bag,maybe the 2 person not the same as my bronco extreme.The toons spilt on mine, & my buddies raft was about to go so I patched both rafts with the pvc that you get from AK raft & kayak.I made a skid plate all the way down the toons & on the inside part that was spilt.The pvc not to much , but the stabond glue is 100 bucks a gallon.Like I said before I know 3 guys with the same raft & I forgot about the one I patched ,it's a 10'.Only the 2 have had problems but the rest of the guys are freaked out after seeing this, one of them called AK raft & kayak to see if there was something that could be done & they told him that they have something they can spray on the toon for about $300.00 for the 9'.With this on the toons you could drag it down the road all day,or so they said.I'm hard on my raft,very hard.Besides that it's been great & I love it.You can take some crazy water with it..

Have fun,,be safe.......

Default my pontoons

I do have the pontoons that are reinforced. Kevlar down the tube end to end. No problems. Thanks for the kind words and I think I am hard on my raft as far as flexing the frame, running my pontoons over rocks and dragging it over many many bars. Like I said. One thing I do believe in is taken care of your boat no matter what it is and doing it year round