Thread: Shrimping in Aialik Bay - Gore Pt.

Default Shrimping in Aialik Bay - Gore Pt.

How is the shrimping in Aialik Bay? Is anyone planning to shrimp there this year? I did not know it was open until noticing on the regs it mentioned a resident only fishery. I plan on spending some time exploring that area this summer so I may get some of potbuilders pots and speculate a bit. I didn't mis-read the regs did I? Thoughts?

Default Anyone???

Nope, you didn't misread the regs. It's been open for a few years now (2?)...but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I also haven't heard anyone really talking about it. I know the effort has been pretty low, according to ADFG. But, there's got to be some shrimp out there somewhere.

Don't forget that you'll need a permit for that area.

The reports that I have heard have not been very good. I think that Its just like shrimping in the sound, If you spend enough time prospecting eventually you will find the honey holes. The main factor is the weather, as that is not like the sound, Then weather can get really bad really fast and it gets really bad very frequently.
    I know that their has to be some really good srimping in that area but you need to keep an eye on the weather.
    good luck

I have stayed over there for a few days due to weather. There are lots of nice protected bays with decent anchorage. Additionally, there are a few very large tour boats that comes up there daily. Going around the Cape can be very entertaining with the wrong tide and the wrong winds in a small boat. I like it over there though. It is very scenic and seems farther aways from Seward than it actually is. Beware, there are a lot of bears. The fishing is only mediocre at best from my experience. I would think that near the head of the bay by the glaciers it should be pretty good for shrimping. I do however, rarely go up past Holegate Arm.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
    The reports that I have heard have not been very good. I think that Its just like shrimping in the sound, If you spend enough time prospecting eventually you will find the honey holes. The main factor is the weather, as that is not like the sound, Then weather can get really bad really fast and it gets really bad very frequently.
    I know that their has to be some really good srimping in that area but you need to keep an eye on the weather.
    good luck