Thread: Nome

Default Nome

I'm relocating to Nome. Any tips on fishing around there?

Default lots of opportunities...

There are lots of opportunities up there...Nome has a pretty good road system that can take you out of town and crosses a number of fishable streams. There's dollies, grayling, salmon (in season)...but no kings to speak of around Nome, and crabbing. Most of the locals who go for crab do it in through the ice in the winter...so you'd need a snowmachine. Some folks will cut a few smaller holes and do it with individual handlines...but most cut holes large enough to drop a pot through and cover the holes with insulation and plywood to help keep the holes from re-freezing...then check their pot(s) every few days.

I lived up there a while back, it's where I first really got into fly fishing. It's some of the best grayling fishing I've ever done. Most of the creeks are gin-clear and the sight fishing is awesome.

PM me if you want...

Art.

MrFish,

Thanks for the info. a couple of questions. when is salmon season, and do you know if char are around?

Thanks in advance!

Default more Nome info...

I tend to use the term Dollies and char interchangeably, even though they really aren't. But, I think what you'll find in the Nome area are Dollies. They're around almost all the time, from ice-out to freeze-up.

Salmon really don't start hitting the area streams until late June/early-July when the pinks and chums first start to show up. The chum runs have been depressed for quite a while and sport fishing for chums was closed for a number of years, but I believe the numbers have been gradually climbing. Pinks are in most of the streams and like most other places they have an even/odd year cycle, with even years being the strong ones. Silvers show up in August and run into September.

ADFG has a good "roadside fishing the Nome area" brochure:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region3/pdfs/nome07.pdf

Default Picking your brain

I promise i won't make myself a pest. another one: what would be a good fly rod line/weight combo?

Default fly rod

For the dollies or grayling, go light...a 3 ot 4 wt maybe? Go with floating line...you don't need any sink tip. Even most of the deeper holes are only 3-4 feet deep...nothing a split shot won't handle if you need to get down. But I fished the grayling exclusively with dry flies. They're not picky at all. The dollies will hit egg patterns when the salmon are in the streams, leeches, or fry/smolt patterns. My favorite for them was a polar shrimp...worked just about anytime.

theres good pike fishing in the area as well from what I've been told
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Nome

Lots of huge Dolly Varden up there, Silvers, Kings, huge Grayling and Chum. We used to fish for crab in the spring on the edge of the ice. A crab net might come in handy. Sitting down to a feast of 57 King Crab is a chore, broken and dipped in seal oil. There are shrimp up there as well as halibut if you have an ocean going boat. Don't count on huge ones but they are there.

The Pixie is king up there. Biggest Silver I caught was on a Chartruse jointed minow. Small spinners work for the Dillies. I have never seen a pike around Nome, east or even south towards Shacktoolik though. Down on the Yukon, yes.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

All the info you guys are giving me will save a lot of time for me.

I'm wondering about bear. do most fishermen carry a revolver just in case, or are the bear stories mostly fluff?

Default Just brown bears

There are only brown bears around the area. And yes, you will run into them around the town dumps and salmon streams. I usually carried my .44 mag. but when the Dollies were spawning and the salmon, and I was walking back to home carrying fresh fish - 870 and slugs.

I'm trading one of 1911's for a S&W 460. Slugs would be a better punch but I seem to let long guns lay around, and before I know it, I'm 75 feet from the gun,

thanks again.

Oh, yeah - and Dave, you say brown bears, do you mean Brown Bears as in the bigger grizzly?

there is really impressive pike fishing in the tidally influenced sloughs of the fish river early in the summer. you need a skiff to get to it. downriver from council, which is on the road system.

Default Defining

Your guess..... They feed on salmon but are northern. The Bering Sea is coastal. We might have to ask one to be sure.

"The term “brown bear” is commonly used to refer to the members of this species found in coastal areas where salmon is the primary food source. Brown bears found inland and in northern habitats are often called “grizzlies.” In this paper, brown bear is used to refer to all members of Ursus arctos."