Thread: U.S. Halts Commercial Salmon Season

Default U.S. Halts Commercial Salmon Season

Federal regulators, worried about sagging runs up and down the coast, agreed Thursday to cancel this year's commercial and recreational catch of chinook -- the prized king salmon of the fish market -- off California and Oregon. The ban adopted by the Pacific Fishery Management Council after a weeklong meeting in Seattle marks the new low point for a trade enshrined in the West since the Gold Rush. Los Angeles Times 04/11/2008 http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,6377698.story

Comments:
    I am curious what Alaska can do to prevent something like this from occurring? The reasons seem to center around a). commercial fishing practices, b). development -- bridges, construction, etc., c). hatchery practices (perhaps the mono-culture or diseases). Please note: I saw none of the standard Alaska talk expressing the need to prevent "over-escapement" (e.g., increase the commercial catch to unsustainable levels -- like California and Oregon because they are big campaign contributors) and stop those those **** dippnetters (I am one of them) from taking fishing and "profit" from the out of state commercial fishing folks.

Thumbs down

We saw this coming... The commercial fleet has been hit hard, and we can't sport fish. CA use to have some of the best ocean King salmon fishing on the Pacific Coast. Here are some of the environmental and economic factors that killed our fishery. Hopefully, it will rebound in the next couple of years.

Water diversion from Central Valley Rivers (Sac) to S. CA
    Water diversion from Klamath River basin to support Oregon farmers
    Poor river conditions
    Loss of spawning habitat
    Poor ocean conditions (lack of zooplankton, krill, and bait fish)
    DF&G mis manangement
    Over fishing
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 04-11-2008 at 13:27. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskariverrat View Post

Comments:
    I am curious what Alaska can do to prevent something like this from occurring? The reasons seem to center around a). commercial fishing practices, b). development -- bridges, construction, etc., c). hatchery practices (perhaps the mono-culture or diseases). Please note: I saw none of the standard Alaska talk expressing the need to prevent "over-escapement" (e.g., increase the commercial catch to unsustainable levels -- like California and Oregon because they are big campaign contributors) and stop those those **** dippnetters (I am one of them) from taking fishing and "profit" from the out of state commercial fishing folks.

Heres what Alaska can do to stop things like this

*Don't Build dams
    *Don't allow invasive species like striped bass to become established
    *Don't drain the rivers for farmers.

The situation is not a commercial fishing problem, its a habitat problem. Quite frankly its amazing there are salmon in California at all.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Water Diversion

is the 800 pound gorilla here, IMHO. We had ~800,000 fish in the 2002 Sacramento river run, and we haven't built any more dams, we have less acres under tillage, and had stripers then. What we do have is a whole bunch of new development especially in Southern California. Thousands and thousands of new houses built in a desert, complete with big lawns and a swimming pool. But, hey. Developers are BIG campaign contributors. On the Marin county coast, people limited development by voting to regulate the number of utility hook-ups allowed. Something to for you folks to consider. Growing up in California we always thought that the state was big enough for everyone. now we have 36,500,000 people living here, and it's turning into a cesspit.

Default Timber and buffer zones?

Thanks for the comments and more background. I talked with a guy last year from California saying that the Trinity river salmon population was wiped out because no or limited buffer zones for logging projects. He claimed that the lack of a buffer zone resulted in increased temperature in the river and increased silt in the river and this over time wiped out the salmon population. He also said that the government has spent millions on restoration without any success.

Everything effects the salmon. We are systematically destroying habitat world-wide for all types of species. Clearly, the ocean's vast and complex ecosystem has had an affect from all of our misdoings from our various sources of pollution, our overfishing, logging near spawning grounds, mining, dam building, irrigation projects, housing development, and the million other things we have done. For a long time the attitude was "it is only a drop in the bucket". And they were right, it was. The problem lies wherein that all of these drops has finally amounted to something - and something pretty darn significant. Alaska has seemed immune to it to a degree, mostly due to its distance from major population centers. However, it isn't immune, and while I sincerely hope that I am wrong, Alaska is going to have an impact from all this too as our fish stocks are not on another planet. Only time will tell for sure as my crystal ball has fogged over.

people are getting desparate. Check out this link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080505/...sea_lions_shot
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Heres what Alaska can do to stop things like this

*Don't Build dams
    *Don't allow invasive species like striped bass to become established
    *Don't drain the rivers for farmers....
    * Dams built in the right locations are fine
    * Invasive species like pike?
    * Drain the rivers? Like the Susitna?

The situation is not a commercial fishing problem, its a habitat problem.
    It has become a commercial fishing problem, hasn't it?

Sport fishing, too, hasn't it?

(There is no personal use or subsistence fishery there, is there?)

.......Quite frankly its amazing there are salmon in California at all.
    Is it?

With all the mistakes, screw ups, politics, pressure, etc, etc, over the past 150 years, there are still salmon.

Makes environmental extremism look rather silly, doesn't it?......................

Default selenium?

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    people are getting desparate. Check out this link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080505/...sea_lions_shot
    Another is claiming selenium has had a hand in the salmon loss.

Scientist fights 25-year battle over West Side selenium http://www.modbee.com/opinion/commun...ry/289052.html

When theres' a problem, all user groups must own that there is a problem, and take action within their own ranks to address that problem. The governing agencies must make decisions that will affect all user groups proportionate to catch, no matter the political cost.

on a side note the first gillnet opener in fredrick sound resulted in 100-300
    dollars per fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs down Commercial fish Bycatch, & Commercial

Seiners for herring may have contributed to the decline in Salmon numbers as well...There millions of pounds of salmon bycatch, & millions of Tons of commercial herring caught in the Pacific, this cannot bode well for healthy populations of Salmon...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Seiners for herring may have contributed to the decline in Salmon numbers as well...There millions of pounds of salmon bycatch, & millions of Tons of commercial herring caught in the Pacific, this cannot bode well for healthy populations of Salmon...
    And yet, they still are allowed to sein for herring. Such a joke, these fish managers. Maybe another study will reveal the obvious and then again, maybe not.