Thread: Fiddleheads

Default Fiddleheads

I was just in the pantry forums and was commenting on how much i like them. Im not looking to grow them obviously but I have always had them given to me. Im just wondering what is the best time to get them and a few locations
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

As soon as they come out of the ground and look like a "fiddle head". Raw, they taste like broccoli, I reccomend stir fry.

I grow them on the west side of my house. I have lots of trees and the sun doesn't really get that side till late in the day so have had trouble getting anything else to grow there. I dug mine out of the ditch in front of the house. They seem to like it there. I usually steam them a little and add a touch of vinegar and butter. Yum, once they start to open I was told you shouldn't eat them as the are toxic. don't know if that is true or not, never tried them then just in case

Minced garlic, minced onion, butter, shrimp and fiddle heads. Stir fry this all up and serve over rice, YUMMMMMMMMMM!

may-first week of june, depends on how far north or south you go. Look around creeks. Have about 200million pounds that grow out at our cabin area.
    Last edited by AKDSLDOG; 04-20-2008 at 18:41. Reason: add dates

Grayling and eggs, with fiddleheads fried in butter garlic and a drop or two of lemon.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Does anyone have any secret methods for removing the brown scale? Thanks,

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post

KK
    Use one of those green scratcher pads I forgot what they are called.
    Chuck

Plastic scouring pad
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Yep thats them
    Chuck

"scotch brite"

"Minced garlic, minced onion, butter, shrimp and fiddle heads. Stir fry this all up and serve over rice, YUMMMMMMMMMM! "

Man that sounds fantastic.

My favorite is Minced garlic, butter and fiddle heads, stir fried and served with a nice juicy moose or deer steak.

Alaskachuck

Sorry about that , Andsldog got me so hungry with his recipy I forgot your question.

I get most of mine near small creeks (even old creek beds dried up) just slightly up the banks.

As for Bljames, I have picked fiddle heads when they were fairly tall and I have not have a problem with them being toxic. As long as the head feels firm (solid/hard) to the touch, them I am good to go. If the head is soft or plyable to the touch, I pass.

Hope this helps.

Ok, I have the fiddle heads, now all I have to get is the shrimp.

Anyone got a fiddle head report?
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post

KK
    We use to put them in an old electric dryer with no heat and tumble them for an hour then rinse in a sink in cold water.

I always found them close to water. Near rivers, streams, or bogs seems to be a good place to look. Mostly in the shade, but sometimes I find them in full sun.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

They are up and the picking is good, some people dry them and use them in the winter. They pick foot long ones they sell for 17.00 a pound.

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I always found them close to water. Near rivers, streams, or bogs seems to be a good place to look. Mostly in the shade, but sometimes I find them in full sun.
    I got some growing in my front yard and there isn't any creek, lake or river close by...
    But... it is kinda a shaded spot...