Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend .22LR high Velocity ammo

Wink Recommend .22LR high Velocity ammo

All,

I am looking for recommendations for .22LR high velocity ammo for my semi-auto .22. Also, where to purchase it.

Thanks,

Gusto

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    All,

I am looking for recommendations for .22LR high velocity ammo for my semi-auto .22. Also, where to purchase it.

Thanks,

Gusto
    The most trouble free ammo I have found over the years for trouble free
    use in Semi-auto .22 rf's has been hands down WINCHESTER SUPER X. Remington Clean-Bore is another.

Boondockers (Eagle River) has Remington in stock and can order the WINCHESTER for you. That's where I've bought my last 5 cases.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default .22 Lr

I have 2 different .22's that I have bought several brands and types of ammo for to find the best shooting ones. My Kimber shoots the Federal Lightning very well and the Cooper shoots the Federal Gold the best. If you live in the Eagle River area. I will give you some ammo from about 10 different loads and you can see which one gives you the best accuracy. I didnt know there was such a difference until I shot them.

Big Stick

Sorting by rim thickness can work wonders.

Bang for the buck...Blazers routinely agg exceptionally and I'm fairly 22lr agog..................

This is new to me, what brand of .22 Rf rifle is that? What's that knobby looking thing on the side sticking out?

Did you bother to read the start to this thread? Or the questions asked?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I have shot quite a bit of the CCI mini mags.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx

the CCI "stinger" is a fast round as well.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx

Big Stick

Big Al,

Undoubtedly much is new to you and I find it curious that you feel compelled to brag in that regard?

Anscutz 54's only go back 45yrs or so.

I'm all ears in regards to your dissertation that precludes the inherent mechanical advantages of sorting by rim thickness?

Will let the Blazers dangle as bait...................

Big Stick

Stingers are often quiriky in auto's,especially Bentz or snugger chambers.

ES/SD plague them as well...................

CCI Mini mags are great in auto loaders. I owned a Sig Arms .22 auto pistol and they told me to shoot Mini Mags only. The gun would jam with all other brands.

Big Stick

Have shot a little of everything in Trailslides....................

I have used only a few brands, but find exceptional accuracy from the Eley Match, though it is spendy. I use this in my 10/22 with factory barrel. The worst is the Winchester Wildcat.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I shoot CCI in my marlin 925, but that is a bolt action, it is pretty accurate for me though. Not sure if you would have any cycling issues?

Gus, I think rimfirecentral has a whole bunch of walther-specific stuff including ammo.

The reason to maybe stay away from the stingers is the casing is longer and may damage the first bit of rifling.

Otherwise, any of the gun stores should be happy to help you pick out fast ammo. The fun is buying a few boxes of each and seeing what you like.

I like cci stingers the best.

I have also shot remington vipers and yellow jackets along with Federals? that came in the orange snuff can.

I did some very scientific testing on wet phonebooks in the past and found the stinger to go about 3" and fragmenting. The Yellow Jackets to go 4" and fragmenting. Most everything else would go 5-7 inches being my favorite federal champions and the like. The Remington Vipers would go 8" regularly out penetrating all others I tried. I expect that other high velocity truncated cone 22's to do the same as the Viper.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

bullshop junior

Fedreal bulk HP. walmart. it is the only thing that fed from my H&R letherneck.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

I did some testing for the best accuracy in my CZ 452 and Federal Eagles won hands down and they were the cheapest! I did not try any match ammo, just common, easy to get stuff. J.

CCI Mini-Mags nave been the only reilable round in my Walther P22, with Stingers coming in a close second FWIW.

I like CCI Velocitors for whacking things that need whacked a little harder.
    Mini-Mags are great for all around use.

You don't mention what you are going to be using the gun for.
    Now what ?

Gus, one observation using CCI mini mags at the range. A friend and I were shooting our Ruger 77-22's at 50 yards, paper targets. I was shooting Winchester Super X and he had CCI mini mags. Both were pretty accurate at this range. We then started shooting at some metallic silhouettes; a turkey at 50 meters, boar at 100 and out to 250 meters at a ram. Quite a stretch for 22's and there was a delay in the hit. Anyway, I could consistenly hit 4 of 5 at the ram, he could hit 1-2 out of 5. He thought it was his gun but I gave him my shells and he did the same as me. Of course we were using a big hold over but I tried his shells and same results as him. The CCI's were hitting all over the place at that range. I know we don't shoot that far with 22's but it was interesting at the difference. Had fun shooting as always. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast