Thread: Anyone around Anchor Point?

Default Anyone around Anchor Point?

We have been seeing lots for sale off of North Fork Rd. for pretty cheap. Anyone know how the area is? Lots of ruffians and welfare folks or not too bad?
    We are also looking for a 5 acre parcel up above Homer, any advice on areas to stay away from, or tips on vacant lots?

Just Wondering...

Mountaintrekker

Default rough go

We had looked for land on the North Fork and gave it up. The land is rough to build on, very irregular, as are the parcels for sale. The place is rough in winter, especially the south end, is pretty hairy on traction. Most of the roads are very primitive still. That's why the parcels are still cheap when everything else isn't. Some parts have some, uh, uncouth people, but that's just Alaska and part of it's charm. 8*)

Default Homer then?

So if it sounds too good to be true... . How about above Homer? Loon Lake, Skyline Drive, Shelton Drive, Brown Drive?
    just picking your brains to see if it's worthwhile. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Mountaintrekker

loon lake is above bear cove, 13 miles from homer on the other side of the bay. no power, no sun in the winter. boat access to a trailhead (about a mile), or fly to the lake. either way, how much you can get in at a time is pretty limited. sometimes no access at all in the winter for weeks at a time due to weather.
    i used to live on the end of shelton. pretty suburban, really... at least by my standards.<grin>
    skyline drive is way overpriced due to the view...but it is borough maintained and was just paved last year.
    got 8" of snow in the last 2 days, and it was 2 degrees last night. i am about 2 miles from the pavement end of east skyline, and about 1200'.
    and no, there is no land for sale near me. <grin>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Cripes! I guess we are looking for that perfect place about a half hour or so from Homer. Power and paved roads are not necessary as we have been living that way for awhile. Just looking for about 5 acres for 30K or less. Am I way off base or what? How is Caribou Lake?

Mountaintrekker

caribou lake is a friggin' zoo in the winter... homer's crotch-rocket playground.
    getting pretty developed out there too, i think some years you can drive in most of the year.
    it is more like an hour from homer, at the very least. closer to two most of the time.
    good luck finding what you are looking for ... the real estate market here is absurd, prices are totally out of step with value. real estate agents are sprouting like mushrooms and wringing their hands in glee as assessments go up for no discernible reason.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I can hardly believe how prices have gone up. I found a 2+ ac parcel above Homer, million dollar view, mostly cleared, $60. That was about 10 years ago. I also found a .5 ac lot ON the kenai river for $7,500; I'm still kicking my arse for not buying that one! I'm looking for something about like you are too, 5 acres or so, secluded but able to drive in, affordable. I guess the realtors don't get the national news or are just trying to get top dollar for the properties there. We've got 4 properties for sale, been for sale for over a year and no one even LOOKING at them. It's bad down in the lower 48 right now. 24 more days before I board the plane to move up!!

Default PM sent

Mountaintrekker - sent you a PM.