Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predator calls ...bears show up?

Default Predator calls ...bears show up?

I've been reading about using predator calls (wounded rabbits, moose calf, etc) to call in bears ...but it seems to me that if folks use these calls for wolves/coyotes/fox that they should be seeing bears show up as well. At least in the Spring after the bears get off the greens and start becoming more opportunistic and in the Fall when they are trying to fatten up and are very opportunistic. So, my question is ...have you (anyone) seen bear showing up unexpectedly as a result of using predator calls? Personal experience please ...already got the hearsay from the books and I'm curious if this occurs in 'real life' for 'normal people rather than super experts' :

Brian

Blacktail deer calls are very effective on Kodiak bears in the spring. Moose calf in distress also works well for black and brown bears elswhere. Exciting as you have ineffect gone from hunter to hunted as soon as that call is blown.

Where might one get a moose calf distress call?

Default calls

you could try some of the electronic call makers websites I saw a list on one of these sites that had many recordings not sure if they had moose calf but they did have fawn in distress. good luck remember bears can climb trees even brown bears can make it a short way up if motivated.

Default it is very affective

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    I've been reading about using predator calls (wounded rabbits, moose calf, etc) to call in bears ...but it seems to me that if folks use these calls for wolves/coyotes/fox that they should be seeing bears show up as well. At least in the Spring after the bears get off the greens and start becoming more opportunistic and in the Fall when they are trying to fatten up and are very opportunistic. So, my question is ...have you (anyone) seen bear showing up unexpectedly as a result of using predator calls? Personal experience please ...already got the hearsay from the books and I'm curious if this occurs in 'real life' for 'normal people rather than super experts' :

Brian
    I was watching an inland griz last spring, he was a quarter of a mile away, we hit on the preditor call one time, the bear sprinted right to us, it does work, it is almost scary to think people are calling for yotes and loaded with small cal. rifles

Quote Originally Posted by fshslyr View Post
    Where might one get a moose calf distress call?
    I believe I've seen them at SW. Or you could go online to places like this (which I found with Google just now):

http://www.gamecalls.net/catalog/Moose_Calls-80-1.html

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi (search result from http://www.allpredatorcalls.com)

You can hear how the call should sound here:

http://www.clipstr.com/videos/BearAttacksAMooseCalf

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    you could try some of the electronic call makers websites I saw a list on one of these sites that had many recordings not sure if they had moose calf but they did have fawn in distress. good luck remember bears can climb trees even brown bears can make it a short way up if motivated.
    Gary Lewis (Oregon black bear hunting expert) says in his book that the FoxPro electronic calls work well. Of course, FoxPro is the most expensive electronic call in the world ...sigh.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Gary Lewis (Oregon black bear hunting expert) says in his book that the FoxPro electronic calls work well. Of course, FoxPro is the most expensive electronic call in the world ...sigh.

Brian

......If I'm not mistaken,...electronic calls are illegal to use in Alaska...??

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    Only for moose

I dont know about moose, but they are definately illegal for ducks.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Rabbit in distress calls will DEFINATELY call in bears. In 1987, while coyote hunting, we were attempting to draw in a coyote that we could see with binoculars at about 600 yards. It was just too far for me to shoot and we wanted it closer. All the sudden the world behind us exploded as a black bear came running out of the willows alongside the railroad tracks we were hunting along. It caught sight of us and turned tail...only about 10 feet away. My buddy and I never would have gotten our rifles turned if it had decided to bite us.

I called in a black bear to 80 yards using that same call a couple years ago before it winded me.(bowhunting) It came running across a swamp directly at me.

One of my friends shot a wolf that zeroed in on him while he was moose calling.

Of course, FoxPro
    I would say second next to the WildTech, but FP is closing.

Theres a few fellas that make custom bear calls, and if I'm not mistaken I'm thinking they are more or less cub in distress? If there is a difference between a bear call and a raspy predator call?

Ya can find these guys hanging out in most of the hand call forums on the other hunting sites, but if ya need to give ya a few just PM me.

Got a Woods Wise Black Bear call from SW. Was sitting in an old tree stand we had given up on several years ago, last fall. I blew the call imatating a sow Black Bear. I had blowen the call three times when a grizzly sow busted into the clearing and came straight to the tree and reached up to the stand. Upon seeing her coming in so fast I got up and climbed up several feet higher, glad I did. This bear came in to kill something, glad I was out of it's reach. She stayed in the area for quite a while. She left several times then came rushing back in like she was trying to catch me climbing down. I waited till I saw her leave with her cubs and cross the creek about 3/4 of a mile away, before I climbed down and went to the truck.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

I would say second next to the WildTech, but FP is closing.

I need to clarify here. FP is not closing its doors. What I was implying was that it is close or closing in on the top $$$$ price of the WT.

I had a about a 5 1/2 foot Blackie come into a moose matting call in late September two years ago. The bear actually ran up the tree about 25 yards in front of me. I couldn't tell for sure but I believe it was by another bear. There was a lot of whoofing sounds and limbs cracking. They sounded like a couple of trucks coming through the woods.

Default Bear Calls

I bought a video from Woods Wise on calling in bears, and this guy called in probably 7 or 8 different bears during the video. He would call bears in then when they got about 10ft away he would blast them with bear spray & dance around like an idiot. Not exactly my idea of fun on a Friday night but call me crazy.

Default Bears will come

A friend of mine was calling his rabbit squeaker a few years ago. He called every 20 minuts or so. He was positioned in the middle of a gravel bar with good veiwing all around. Well, he ended up falling asleep for a while, and woke up to what sounded like a herd of horses coming down on him, In a half awake situation he turned to see what the comotion was behind him and saw 4 griz bearing down on him at a full run. He spun around, or twisted around from a sitting postion and shot from his hip. ONe shot the lead bear, drop in her tracks, rolled and flipped to a stop just 10 feet from him. The other three turned, slid and bolted out of there. It was his very very lucky day. He was also lucky that these were 3 year olds cubs and was able to keep the sow.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Only for moose
    In the current regs, there's a "NEW" line referenced that electronic game calls MAY be used for all game animals EXCEPT moose. So now the question is what happens if I'm calling for wolf or bear (or deer or whatever) and a moose comes wandering by... I assume it's a "don't shoot the moose" situation, but what criteria are used to determine whether the moose was "influenced" by the electronic call?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default fox pro

Buy a fox pro. They are small and compact and have a variety of sounds.

I would think that if you are calling for grizz or wolves and NOT using any type of moose call sound, you would be legal to shoot.

Interesting this weekend, I was hunting in Delta and had my rhino gps on and would hear wolf howls, etc. play over the radio. I grabbed the radio and said hello. They guy asked if we "got it". I asked, got what? No response after that. This was an illegal situation, using radios to harvest game. I thought it was interesting!

I have called in a few yotes while duck hunting. I have also called in a black bear on December 4th when I had a .22lr in my hands. Whoo hoo hoo hoo that was a little shocking when i saw him stalking me. now I take my .243 but since then I bought a .17hmr and after november I will be taking it from now on. That was during the freak year of warm winter days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast