Thread: Colt Detective Spec

Default Colt Detective Spec

Well, last weekend my wife took Joe Navah's NRA handgun class. He got her all set up to get her cc just because that's what he does. She has a S&W Mod 64 .38 spec 4inch barrel. Yesterday she was going through some stuff at her folk's place and found a Colt Detective Spec- .38 sp with a nice little leather holster that even says Colt on it. It needs cleaned but looks to be 95+ %. Not even hardly any carry wear. I looked up the serial number and found it to be a series II, made in 1957. My question is about ammo. I read a little and supposedly +P ammo should not be shot regularly in that gun? She really likes the size and feel of it but won't be shooting 100's of rounds through it. What would be a good personal protection round and a good practice round? Since we now have 3- 38 specials I'll start loading for them. I figure I'll load some practice rounds but use factory for personal protection. Any opinions and input would be great. Thanks.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Do a bulk buy on some good wad-cutter bullets (lead) 140ish range and load them with 2.8 grains of Bullseye. When you load them, do 500 to a 1000 at a time, so she has them on hand whenever she or you have the urge to go out to bust a cap or two.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Nice Find

That's a classic carry weapon and well made as well. The size and weight will keep most women happy when using it as a CC firearm.
    To shoot/practice and or carry should require no special ammo that kills vampires or stops trains resulting in an overpenatration issue. Just use a standard Keth type/standard wadcutter 148-158 grns@700 0r so fps.
    It's easy/less expensive to load and also available right out of the store and allows for lots of rounds down range.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Right now in my Charter snubby I'm carrying Federals non +P hydrashock load (125gr as I recall). I didn't realize it was a non-+P load when I bought it (my old Hydrashock stuff was +P), nut it shoots well & I don't think it will be inadequate. I believe they call it their "reduced recoil personal protection" ammo.
    I don't think you'll hurt your gun with a very limited diet of +P stuff, but I sure wouldn't practice with it much. Just enough to be sure of point of impact. With mt Charter that was 10 rds.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default 38 Colt Det Spcl.

The Owners manuel says that +P can be used but a steady diet will lossen the gun sooner. The load Vance mentioned is one that I use in Alloy frame Colts and S&W's. The Det Spcl is a steel frame gun and an excellent carry gun IMO. Target shoot with the wadcutters and it should last a long time. Good Luck with it!

Long ago when I was required to carry a wheel gun my choice for off duty was the little colt. As per doctrine, qualification was required with both duty and backup/offduty weapons. At the time I used +P 110 grain 38's that were smoking hot. Speer lawman was the manufactuer and that is about all I can remember about them other than that they were approved for use.
    I used a dept 38 wadcutter for practice and qualified/carried with the +P round. Never did I have a problem with the little steel frame. Others who carried the little model 60 alloy frame opend up the head space from repeated use.
    In todays world of perps high on meth and crack sometimes you just need the edge to put an end to thier criminal behavior. They may be just too doped up to know they were just shot.

Thanks for all the responses guys. She does have a box of 125gr +P Fed Hi-Shok hollow points. I guess we'll keep her loaded up with those for carry for now. I'll have her shoot a few of those to see how she handles it. She also found a box of American Eagle(?) 158gr lead ball rounds. I'll have her shoot those up between both her 38's and then load up some practice rounds.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Self Protection .38 Spl Load

The British always went for the heavy bullets i.e. the .38-200 and apparently found them the most effective in stopping the natives and dis-grunted colonists around the world.

The .38 LC round the Army used in the Phillipines that didn't work was used a 130 gr. bullet at low velocity. I don't think they tried a heavier buller in that caliber.

The standard police load for many years was the 158 gr. RN in .38 Spl. until everyone switched to the 9mm which was probably less effective with standard loads.

Of course on nasty game in AK - brown bears especially - everyone wants a very heavy bullet; the heavier the better is the general opinion. Of course penetration is a big issue with animals but it still has to bring the animal down once it gets to the vital areas of the beast or hits a bone.

Is there any evidence one way or the other for a heavy 200 gr. bullet in a .38 Spl at +P velocities as a perp stopper?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    The British always went for the heavy bullets i.e. the .38-200 and apparently found them the most effective in stopping the natives and dis-grunted colonists around the world.

The .38 LC round the Army used in the Phillipines that didn't work was used a 130 gr. bullet at low velocity. I don't think they tried a heavier buller in that caliber.

The standard police load for many years was the 158 gr. RN in .38 Spl. until everyone switched to the 9mm which was probably less effective with standard loads.

Of course on nasty game in AK - brown bears especially - everyone wants a very heavy bullet; the heavier the better is the general opinion. Of course penetration is a big issue with animals but it still has to bring the animal down once it gets to the vital areas of the beast or hits a bone.

Is there any evidence one way or the other for a heavy 200 gr. bullet in a .38 Spl at +P velocities as a perp stopper?
    Can't quote any sources because I am too lazy. But one thing for sure, if the 200 grain load is that effective, the cops would be all over it. Yet, I know no departments that issues them. Someone here is going to jump in and say "overpenetration" is the reason. I am going to say malarky, they get slugs and 223's issued to them, too.