Thread: Where do you dipnet on Kenai?

Default Where do you dipnet on Kenai?

I have not dipped the kenai and was wondering where it is you go to do this on that river that is best for getting fish? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know I should put this in the dipnetting forum, but a lot more people seem to come onto this board here. Thanks in advance.

Default Here's a spot

I usually go on the west bank of the river, just downstream of the Warren Ames Bridge.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Fish with a thousand of your closest friends

If you'd like to fish about a thousand other like-minded people; go through the city of Kenai; it doesn't matter if you come from the "Y" in Soldotna or come from the K-Beach Road side, turn left and go through Kenai... go past the Carrs/Safeway, go through a couple of stop lights and you'll see an espresso stand with a ridiculously huge electronic sign on the left, keep going a few more blocks until you come to Spruce St. Turn left and follow to the bottom of the road... there's the "Kenai Side" of the mouth of the Kenai River. There's a fee you'll have to pay and you should be prepared to hike your catch through the sand, that's where you should exercise some inginuity and make or puchase a wagon that has some pretty big tires for pulling through the sand... you're gonna lose your happy thoughts once you're done fishing and have to hike everything up to the road again so be prepared to spend some time rolling up. I personally, enjoy bank dipping as opposed to boat dipping just because you get to feel the fish more and socialize with fellow anglers. But once the fish start hitting, socializing turns to laughter and the nice dry coat sleeves turn to sopping wet logs and you can do is smile at your fortune... not the same from a boat.

Thumbs up Amen. . .

Exactly what Back Country Robb said. . .

I tried boating it for the first time this year, and I'm not yet sure which I prefer. The fish weren't in, so I can't really compare the two. I'll agree that dipping from the shore is probably more fun because of the socializing, but it is pretty darn nice to dipnet in shorts and sandals with a cooler full of cold sodas. If only there had been some fish there!

-Brian

Dittos to what Back Country Rob said. I think it's been 5 years now we've made a family trip of it. You definately need help cleaning and moving fish when they are in. We keep our coolers up by the drop off point, and the kids pull the fish up on snow sleds. 3-4 fish at a time isn't that much weight, and having the fish cleaned and iced when I'm done dipping is the way to go.

I can put up with the crowds when dipping, the folks seem to be a friendly bunch, especially with a good run

I think more people should dip at the mouth of the river!

We're lucky to live near the river. We hand launch our little boat and dip from it. It is very convenient to get home with a cooler of fish that are filleted, vac packed and frozen within hours of their aqueous removal.

Default Kenai Keeper

If you do decide to dip from shore; the biggest complaint about dipping the mouth is losing your place...

If you hit Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna or Mt. View Sports in Anchorage, you can pick up a Kenai Keeper (stack up to about 30 reds on it before getting out of the water) you'll definately enjoy your shore dipping more due to staying in the water and not losing your place. I may be overstepping the posting lines by promoting my own product; but seriously, I've never had one returned or a complaint about it. Simply; it's a combat fishing stringer and game hanger that does wonders for an angler/hunter. PM me if you want more info.
    Last edited by Back Country Robb; 12-13-2006 at 21:43. Reason: Location Definition

No matter if you dip from shore or out of a boat you will find plenty of company. If you decide to dip from shore by the city launch ramp, WATCH OUT AS THE MUD IS VERY DEEP. It is very dangerous and not worth it. I have 2 boats but I like to dip from shore accross from kenai. You can drive right down to where you are fishing. As for dipping from a boat its not bad unless you have to launch at the city ramp. During peek times its more than an hour wait to launch and another hour when you come in. Its fun to watch but its not for me. One other thing that you need to know is if you wait until the Daily News reports that the reds are in, You are too late because by then they are having an Emergency Opening for the Gillnetters. And they will sweep it clean in a matter of hours. Its a good idea to check for Gillnet openings before you drive all the way to Kenai.
    Dip Netting is a lot of fun and its a great way to put a lot of tastey fish in the freezer, just make sure that you check for the Gillnetter openings before you go.
    good luck and good fishing

Default Yes!

Good call!

907-262-9611 Is the commercial hotline and will let you know counts and openings (got it on speed dial on the cell and home phone). Excellent remark about the set-gillnets. My personal opinion is that those things need to cut in population dramatically. The only reason that I say that is that escapement counts shot off the charts in the valley just days after they pulled the setnets from cook inlet (when they shut down the Kenai river). I hadn't seen them until this year when I was driving K-beach road from the Kenai to the Kasilof and I pulled over... needless to say the amount of nets in the water was flabberghasting and I remember thinking to mysef "Gosh, no wonder there isn't any fish".

I don't think that the set nets should come out alltogether but the number of nets out there will make you wonder how fish get by at all.

Agree with backcountry rob about the number of nets.....lots of kings and silvers picked up as "by-catch" as well. Be sure to watch the proposals for the board of fish. Right now the managers have to leave a window...a time when no nets are in the water, of 36 hours from Friday night until Saturday night. This should insure there is a strong Pulse of fish into the river. Only when the managers deviate from the Cook Inlet Management plan do they close these windows. Encourage your legislators to support all Board of Fish members who insist the Dept of Fish and Game follows the management plan.....especially with regard to windows which create a reasonable expectation that we non-commercial fishermen have a chance to harvest some fish whether by net in the PU fishery or by rod and reel. Calling the number you gave is a very good idea as you just never know when the commercial guys will get another "emergency" opening.

Thumbs down Buzz-words, buzz-biology. . .

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    Agree with backcountry rob about the number of nets.....lots of kings and silvers picked up as "by-catch" as well. Be sure to watch the proposals for the board of fish. Right now the managers have to leave a window...a time when no nets are in the water, of 36 hours from Friday night until Saturday night. This should insure there is a strong Pulse of fish into the river. Only when the managers deviate from the Cook Inlet Management plan do they close these windows. Encourage your legislators to support all Board of Fish members who insist the Dept of Fish and Game follows the management plan.....especially with regard to windows which create a reasonable expectation that we non-commercial fishermen have a chance to harvest some fish whether by net in the PU fishery or by rod and reel. Calling the number you gave is a very good idea as you just never know when the commercial guys will get another "emergency" opening.
    First, there is no such thing as "by-catch" in a mixed-stock fishery as is Cook Inlet. The fishery is managed for sustained yield with all stocks taken into consideration. "By-catch" is a buzz-word.

Second, there are many area ADF&G biologists who believe the "windows" noted above actually increase the gill-nets harvest of king salmon by not allowing the nets to most advantageously harvest the reds when they are thickest.

Perhaps it would be correct to say that current and retired ADF&G commercial fish biologists are opposed to windows. Its not a conservation or species protection issue....it is a greed issue. Commercial fishermen "own" the resource and are outraged at any personal harvest of their fish.

When a fishery is targeted on Sockeye, the processors are set up for Sockeye and Chinook and Coho have very little commercial value I would be inclined to think the Cook Inlet is a Sockeye fishery and any other species is caught un-intentionally which would meet the definition of by catch.

Smile Correction. . .

Perhaps it would be correct to say that current and retired ADF&G commercial fish biologists are opposed to windows. Its not a conservation or species protection issue....it is a greed issue. Commercial fishermen "own" the resource and are outraged at any personal harvest of their fish.

When a fishery is targeted on Sockeye, the processors are set up for Sockeye and Chinook and Coho have very little commercial value I would be inclined to think the Cook Inlet is a Sockeye fishery and any other species is caught un-intentionally which would meet the definition of by catch.
    It's simply not fair to accuse any one user group of greed or of being "outraged." That sort of nonsense can be claimed by any one group against another.

No, there is no such thing as by-catch in a mixed-stock fishery. All species are accounted for and targeted.

Commercial fishermen "own" the resource and are outraged at any personal harvest of their fish.
    Oh, how I love being told how I feel. No, I'm not a salmon fisherman, but I long-line and have been accused of this very same thing when talking about halibut. Of course, I've never had a thought even remotely similar to this cross my mind, but others know how I feel better than I do. It keeps issues much simpler when accusations are used in place of fact or reasonable discourse.

-Brian

I apologize for the generality of my comment and for lumping all commercial fishermen into one group and implying a particular attitude. I have formed my impression from years of attending board of fish meetings and listening to testimony and reading proposals. It seems to be far worse in UCI because of the many conflicts between sport, subsistance and commercial users. I shouldn't imply the way you feel but from observation of the words and actions of others it sure looks like there is a strong feeling of ownership of the resource on the part of a lot of commercial fishermen and that every fish caught in the PU, subsistance or sports fishery represents dollars out of their pockets.

Default Hmmm....

Agree with backcountry rob about the number of nets.....lots of kings and silvers picked up as "by-catch" as well. Be sure to watch the proposals for the board of fish. Right now the managers have to leave a window...a time when no nets are in the water, of 36 hours from Friday night until Saturday night. This should insure there is a strong Pulse of fish into the river. Only when the managers deviate from the Cook Inlet Management plan do they close these windows.
    Definately some food for thought: I hope that the underwater calendars the fish use are installed in time... oh, and that they see them before they reach the set nets.

Excuse the snideness; but it seems a little ambiguous to expect anything to sustain itself (fishery or otherwise) whith a philosphy of "kill as much as you can today and let them scoot by for a few days and we'll kill as much as we can after that". There needs to be more focus on the populations, methods and amount of permitted commercial fishers and a balanced personnal use population. Not to mention that the stock targeted in the Kenai/Kasilof fishery is a large population that goes further up the inlet to other set net, sport and a now defunct personal use fishery at Fish Creek.

I cannot and will not ever say that all commercial fishing is bad; it's an important part of our economy and the individual's lifestyle/income. Heck, if there any money it anymore I'd probably be returning to the Aleutians every summer to keep at it. I'm not alone when I say that some commercial guys are great and some are real @#$holes. Ask anyone that's fished the Kasilof if a disgruntled commercial guy has ever intentially swamped them and you'll hear a "yes" from practically all... it's the same everywhere. The question still stands though... how do you balance the commercial and personal use/sport fishery in the Kenai/Kasilof?

Hat's off to the folks that do their best to answer that.

Default Across from the Kenai side...

where you can drive down the beach! I agree with what was said above. I enjoy dipping from the beach for the social interactions...plus I can bring the wife to help dip/fillet/ice fish while the kids play in the sand. I don't believe one side of the river does better than the other. It is fun for the family.

Tim