Thread: Glaicer Phase black bear

Default Glaicer Phase black bear

Is there any outfitters that have hunts for Glaicer bears?

Quote Originally Posted by bowbearman View Post
    Is there any outfitters that have hunts for Glaicer bears?
    Research Yakutat. The phase appears in northern Southeast, but I think the gene pool is largest in Yakutat. - They probably won't target them, but your odds will be increased hunting that region.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Yakutat for sure. You could try calling Ken Fanning or Gary Grey they would be able to help you out. Like Soggymountain said though, I am not sure if they target them specifically or just take them as targets of opportunity.

See several pics with Gary Grey bears. They will target them however your odds are not good, that said I'm sure you can change your mind and take a full black bear instead. Last time I read their brochure they charge an additional $5000 trophy fee for taking a black and they will charge you the price of a brown bear hunt in the area. I would figure $14000-$15000 if you take a guided glacier bear, and cost of getting you and your gear to Yakutat. If you get one post some pics!

Default blue bears

Does gary grey have a website?

Gary Gray Registered Guide And Outfitter (907) 784-3451

Thanks guys do you know where I can find some pictures of glacier bears

Default Glacier Blue Bears

Jim Keeline (?sp)used to specialize in these out of Icey Bay ... Yakutat area, but has now retired. His trophy fee for one was an extra $10,000 if successful!

Does jim Keeline have an e-mail address?

Thanks
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Jim Keeline (?sp)used to specialize in these out of Icey Bay ... Yakutat area, but has now retired. His trophy fee for one was an extra $10,000 if successful!
    What a rip-off.

Default glacier bear

Don't expect to find a willing guide for one if you are a AK resident. Many will not take you.

Resident or not, I believe if you are willing to fork out the money they will take any responsible resident.

Hunted down there for both.

Jim's a hoot. Kentucky Colonel - yes he really is a legally titled Kentucky Colonel. I guided the hunter who was a Senator from Kentucky. After the hunt, he invited both of us down to be knighted by the governor. I was too short sighted to take advantage of the offer, at the time I thought it was corny. Jim lived outside, went down to Kentucky to visit the fellow - Colonel jim Keeline. How could I have been so stupid... Colonel SoHappy... sounds like a natural to me.

Two long spring seasons of 45 days each and one fall eason of 41 days. Rained evey day in the fall. 41 straight days of rain is enough to soak through just about anybody, even my skin failed. You always have drips on the end of your nose, drips hanging off your earlobes, hair matted and dripping on your forehead, hands bleached-out and dripping all over everything you reach for. Gets to be where you have to wring your soggy, bloated, hands and fingers out just to hold up a cup of coffee. It was weeks later that I could walk without water shooting up through my shoestrings.

All that time in the field and I saw one Glacier Bear. Looked like a puff of smoke moving around on the hillside i.e. kind of light grey and silvery-blue with no definate outline. The notion that the bear had a halo around it did come to mind, especially head-on views through the spotting scope. You know that avalanche gully that doesn't have alders in it, runs clear up the hillside parallel to where the bear laid down, the route looks brown and inviting. That brown haze in the gully is a virtual sea of brittle, thorny, Salmonberry canes that stretch far overhead. You will fall down and suffer in the mud. You will be noisy. And, sometimes you will get close enough for a shot.

Why would anyone hunt with a guide unless forced by law? You can go to the grocery store and buy your own Top Ramen noodles and Pop Tarts, and then not have tolerate the indignity of getting taken to the cleaners and ignored by the kid leading you around in the woods. No way Jose'.

Fly in to Akwe Lake, Ustay Lake, Tanis lake, or Alsek Lake, or any airstrip between Russell Fjord south to the Park. There is no really practical way to specifically target a Glacier Bear. Just go in the spring to an area where they are known to occurr, set up a camp near the mountains where they den, and glass.

Tommy