Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooters!

Default Hooters!

Who's been up hooter hunting yet?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I wait til I hear them .... next week I'll make some spot checks.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Okay Monkey... I'll go give a listen today. I don't expect to hear them quite yet, but if I do, I'll waddle my fat butt through the snow next week.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

No, no, no, and no... it is still winter up in hooter country.

I'll be dragging a herring around for kings before taking to the mountains.

The only thing I heard today was my teeth chattering at the thought.

Whats a hooter?

Default Snowy Owls

The only owl you can hunt in AK are the Snowy in Unit 17, 18, 22, 23 and 26. I have never heard one hoot though.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Whats a hooter?
    The hooter was branded before the restaurant existed.

It is a blue grouse. The males find perches high on a mountain where they "hoot" during mating season. This is a call to all hens that says, "HERE I AM!"

Blow into your empty beer bottle, and you will have an idea of the sound the roosters make. It is a single syllable, but repeated 5 or 6 times rythmically. It can be heard for a couple of miles without obstructions, or, you can be a few hundred yards away and never hear it at all.

Once you follow the sound to where you think it is coming from, you then have to find the bird. He could be right above you out of sight in the branches, or, "a few hundred yards away."

They usually stay in the same spot, but, as they continue to broadcast, they turn from one direction to another.... It is like finding a ventrilliquist who can throw his voice.

This will always be my favorite hunt in all of Alaska.

These birds are a third or more larger than then spruce grouse... the meat is white and has a delicate flavor like the ruffed.

SE Alaska has an extended grouse season which lasts til May 15 so that we can get an early start on mountaineering, and, run from avalanches.

My edit: The hens cackle like a ptarmigan, except they lead off with an extended "mmmmmmmm" ... sounds a bit like a cat with hickups.

Default Soggy

Good answer. Never head them called hooters though. I have been hooter hunting for years but that is a different species and bag limit all together.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I know someone who went two weeks ago and got at least one. Looked like there was a lot of snow as he was fairly high up...

Default owl killer

i seen a guy kill a owl.. took 2 guys like 20 shots to get it, the owl just stood there on the branch, guess they are not as wise as they are protrayed to be on tv.

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Default Good one Dave

It just takes a wallet full of money for them to hunt them down.

Default baiting?

if you just leave your wallet out or say some chocolate or jewelry or something is that considered baiting.....and do i have to take the baiting clinic?
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

The sun came out in Juneau about two weeks ago, and you could hear them by my house near the glacier. I walk the dog on the same trail every day and haven't heard them again since. Wait for nice (sunny) weather. If we get some warmer weather this weekend, they'll be hooting, but the peak will be in a few weeks.

Job .. PM me when you hear them again. It really is my favorite hunt.

I think sunday might be a good day for a hooter hunt, now I just gotta figure out where... hmmm
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I think sunday might be a good day for a hooter hunt, now I just gotta figure out where... hmmm
    2000 feet above sea level - vertical terrain - avalanches galore.

Where ever you go, be sure to pack a good trail down so us older guys will have it easier in the coming weeks.

I do believe I'll be heading up the hillside tomorrow... has anybody packed a trail down for me yet?

One down... lots of them up there... several roosters down low this year too. But, they like those great big trees that you can't get a sighting on.

I went up and up and up... My pants and feet were soaked from the snow (still deep up there).

I tried to pick up the two I heard below me on the way down, but they were pretty well hidden. - had PowderMonkey come along, I could have sent him up a tree to see if he could find them.... I used to do that when I was younger.

But, there is a lot of hooting going on for sure.

I picked one up last weekend. LOTS of snow up there still, makes it difficult...I recommend snow shoes in the flatter areas.

My wife has a good description of the flavor. 'kind of like a cross between chicken and pine needles'.

I'll be out again soon, unless the kings really start showing up!

Job, I'll go on another outing this week myself - Maybe Friday after my boots dry out. I think I know a really good spot that should be free of so much snow.

Tell the wife I don't taste pine needles or chicken. I have a great recipe you might like. ... everyone else does.

If I get enough of them this year, I think I'll experiment with pot pies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast