Thread: Age Limits?

Default Age Limits?

I heard somewhere that you don't have to be 21 to own a handgun, just to purchase one. Does anyone know if this is true?

Default sorta...

But even that ain't entirely true.

As I understand it, it's....

18 to own a handgun.

18 to buy handgun/long gun from private party

21 to buy handgun from dealer.

Jon

Default AGE.............

I believe that Federal Law prohibits anyone under the age of 21 from possessing a handgun with one or two exceptions. That's why most law enforcement agencies require you to be 21 before you can work for them as an enforcement officer.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Quote Originally Posted by sarge View Post
    I believe that Federal Law prohibits anyone under the age of 21 from possessing a handgun with one or two exceptions. That's why most law enforcement agencies require you to be 21 before you can work for them as an enforcement officer.
    That law actually states "minor."
    Legally a minor is someone under the age of 18, so he should be ok.

Jon

Default Handgun

Federal law prohibits anyone under age 21 from "purchasing" a handgun from a federally liscensed dealer. The age limit to "possess" a handgun is determined by the particular state law.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

In the state of Alaska you can possess a handgun at the young age of 16 with written parental consent.

Default Legal age - handguns and ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sarge View Post
    Sarge,

The Gun Control Act of 1968 18, U.S.C. Chapter 44

18 U.S.C. 922 (x) "Federal law prohibits, except in certain limited curcumstances, anyone under 18 years of age from knowingly possessing a handgun.....

also 18 U.S.C. 924(a)(6)

This is quoted from a one-page pamphlet entitled "YOUTH HANDGUN SAFETY ACT NOTICE" published by the US Gov't printing office with the BATFE logo and referring to ATF Information 5300.2 Revised July 2004.

Don't ask me what it all means. I just happened to have picked the pamphlet up in a sporting goods store to take some notes on.

But exceptions are provided for persons under 18 who have written permission from a parent or guardian or has possession in the line of duty (as in policeman or the Armed Forces or National Guard or ranching or farming, target practice, hunting or in a course of instruction and a bunch of other stuff).

Visit the web site at www.atf.gov and search on the obvious key words.

All this is Federal. 18 U.S.C.922(x)(3)(A)(iv) goes furthur with the phrase "in accordance with State and Local law; I believe Alaska State Law has a higher age limit for concealed carry, if not open carry.

Happy hunting.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

I like the old time Alaskan way of determing age issues. "If your old enough to put your money on the bar, or have somebody do it for you, your old enough."
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

21 to purchase from an FFL.
    18 to own or purchase from a private party.
    16 to possess with parental consent.

However, you do have to be 21 to carry concealed.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I like the old time Alaskan way of determing age issues. "If your old enough to put your money on the bar, or have somebody do it for you, your old enough."
    Sounds good to me!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I think I understand that this is in jest, but FYI, a straw purchase (purchasing a firearm for someone who is not legally allowed) is a felony carrying a max punishment of 10 years / $10,000. Yeah, not worth it. The ATF doesn't have any problem prosecuting these either.

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    I think I understand that this is in jest, but FYI, a straw purchase (purchasing a firearm for someone who is not legally allowed) is a felony carrying a max punishment of 10 years / $10,000. Yeah, not worth it. The ATF doesn't have any problem prosecuting these either.
    How well I remember the day so many years ago that two FBI agents ask me if I had sold a revolver to a guy. Did i know that it was illegal to sell a handgun to him as he was underage? The look on there faces was priceless, when I overcame my laughter. When I had recovered I ask them just one question. How was it they assumed I had an FFL? Please remember that at the heart of all agency law is assumption. They always hope you will play along to aid them in your destruction.

May I ask you where is your obligation to act as an agent for the state?

Please point me to that regulation. Or why is it you assume that your quotes are written for you?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

parents can buy handguns for their kids, no problem.

Aaarrrrg!!! Here we go again.... I'm talking about straw purchases which are illegal on the federal level (18USC 922(a)(6) footnote 3). Your "on the counter" comment (in my mind) implies a retail purchase. If it does not, then fine.

Oh, apparently I was wrong about the $10,000 fine. My bad; it's actually $250,000. http://www.dontlie.org/

I'm not acting as an agent of the state here. I'm simply pointing out that what you implied in your post was illegal. I don't happen to think that advocating illegal activities is something that should be posted on this forum (although I guess that's up to the moderators). You can bet that I would be the first guy to let a dealer and the ATF know about a straw purchase if I suspected it was occurring.

To the point about age according to Alaska Statute:
    AS 11.61.210(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fourth degree if the person
    (6) knowingly sells a firearm or defensive weapon to a person under 18 years of age; [MIW IV is a class A misdemeanor.]

As an aside, regardless of if you are a dealer or just an everyday Joe, you are guilty of a class C felony under Alaska law if you "knowingly sell or transfer a firearm capable of being concealed on one's person to a person who has been convicted of a felony by a court of this state, a court of the United States, or a court of another state or territory." -AS 11.61.200(a)(2) Yes, there are exceptions.

I'm not as well versed in federal law, but I'd venture a guess that the penalties are much stiffer.

No one was talking about selling guns to Felons. He wanted to know the age requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    No one was talking about selling guns to Felons. He wanted to know the age requirements.
    You are correct. I got off on the straw purchase tangent because of Big Al's "or have somebody do it for you" comment. The selling to a felon issue was also in response to Al's "I'm not a dealer" defense. I believe I also addressed the age issue. You can't sell a firearm to someone under 18, period. That also kind of renders the "I'm not a dealer" defense pretty much void as far as the state is concerned. I thought all of the above was worth pointing out, not to make someone look bad, but to keep other people out of trouble who might follow such advice.

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    You are correct. I got off on the straw purchase tangent because of Big Al's "or have somebody do it for you" comment. The selling to a felon issue was also in response to Al's "I'm not a dealer" defense. I believe I also addressed the age issue. You can't sell a firearm to someone under 18, period. That also kind of renders the "I'm not a dealer" defense pretty much void as far as the state is concerned. I thought all of the above was worth pointing out, not to make someone look bad, but to keep other people out of trouble who might follow such advice.

uhhh, just so everybody knows, that silly statement about having someone put your money up on the bar for you was in reference to drinking. Note the term "bar". A gun counter has not ever to my knowledge been called a "BAR". These arguments get a little bit ridiculous when they get this serious. Also, all of us here on this forum are adults, and it shouldn't be a big deal to make silly chat about underage drinking. Enjoy the chatter for what it is. I am sure that Big Al ain't gonna take his 12 year old son down to the bush company and have him belly up to the bar and have some beers and a lap dance with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    uhhh, just so everybody knows, that silly statement about having someone put your money up on the bar for you was in reference to drinking. Note the term "bar". A gun counter has not ever to my knowledge been called a "BAR". These arguments get a little bit ridiculous when they get this serious. Also, all of us here on this forum are adults, and it shouldn't be a big deal to make silly chat about underage drinking. Enjoy the chatter for what it is. I am sure that Big Al ain't gonna take his 12 year old son down to the bush company and have him belly up to the bar and have some beers and a lap dance with him.
    I would like to thank all of the federal and state mothers of government for keeping a watch out for anything that might interfere with your lack or misunderstanding of law., and how you want it to be. The gestapo attitude among some of the people that comment is refreshing.

I think the way you read the word "knowingly" is interesting. Does that knowingly word require and obligation on the part of someone without a federal licence?

As far as what I do or you do with my family or you do with your family, makes it a matter of, it is not my place (or yours) to supervise. Mind your own family business and I will mind my own.

Your love of the belief that we have a need to live in anything else but a free country, is astonishing. Your love of the concept that we our not a free people, but a people that lives under a tyrannical ruler and must pay homage to the fiction of government, is sicking.

Perhaps you might want to examine your beliefs in light of the meaning of a free people.

How do you come to your misunderstanding of the law and to whom it applies? Only someone with a lack of knowledge of how to read the law, could come away with your misunderstanding.

Default like talking to a brick wall?

http://12.17.186.16/lglcntr/akstats/...Section900.htm
    (a)(2) will give a definition for "knowingly"
    That will end my involvement in this thread. I think it's drifted enough and if past experience tells me anything, it's not going to do me any good to explain reality.

Thanks Hippie....
    So, how about those Yankees?

Cool What is a Federal and State "mother of government"??

Big Al, I am not sure you realize this, but I was taking up for you there buddy...
    Can you clarify some of those statements you just made? you can post it somewhere else if you would like to leave this thread for the discussion of gun laws for <21 year old gun purchases.

"As far as what I do or you do with my family or you do with your family, makes it a matter of, it is not my place (or yours) to supervise. Mind your own family business and I will mind my own." Wat the heck does this mean???

"Your love of the belief that we have a need to live in anything else but a free country, is astonishing. Your love of the concept that we our not a free people, but a people that lives under a tyrannical ruler and must pay homage to the fiction of government, is sicking.

Perhaps you might want to examine your beliefs in light of the meaning of a free people.

How do you come to your misunderstanding of the law and to whom it applies? Only someone with a lack of knowledge of how to read the law, could come away with your misunderstanding."

and what does all this mean?