Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tourism Effected?

Default Tourism Effected?

I've gotten a few of these types of emails and conversations with folks. Just wanted to cut and paste the last email and I am wondering what other folks think.

Hello, Marc . . .

Thanks for checking back with me about a charter trip up north!

Unfortunately, the sky-rocketing fuel prices, and devaluation of the dollar have forced me into cancellation of plans for any "extra's" this coming summer! This evening, we just hit $3.50 per gallon for Unleaded Regular . . . Diesel fuel is well over $4.00 per gallon. It's beyond ridiculous . . . and totally unnecessary!

I won't go into a political diatribe . . . but, I will say that this situation is caused by a total absence of intelligent leadership in Washington . . . in fact, it is worse than a simple "absence." In my humble opinion, there are corrupt, evil, and grossly incompetent men in charge of the wealth and health of this nation, and they are doing a credible job of ruining them both!

I'm sure that I will not be the only pissed off fisherman to cancel out on an Alaskan Adventure this year . . . in fact, I'd bet that you will get many cancellations . . . except for the mega-rich for whom these economic conditions have little impact. Maybe you'll see ol' George and Dick themselves sometime this summer. Lord knows, it would be a welcome relief to have them somewhere other than in Washington (anywhere but there!)

And so, I will look at a charter trip with you perhaps another time. Perhaps in 10 years or so, when our economy will have had a chance to recover somewhat from the lunacy of the past eight years! Perhaps . . . .

Best regards,
    Marc Theiler

The less ****'s the better.
    Last edited by Brian M; 04-10-2008 at 20:41. Reason: language

Default Simple....

What's wrong with cup-a-soups or saimin? Jeesh, you can get those for about .29 in bulk! Wiener Water Soup is okay, too. Come on guys, you can't slim down FISHING TIME! What are people thinking???? Eat the above items for a week (preferably PRIOR to your actual vacation time) and take that money saved (that you would've spent on luxury food!) and apply it towards the extra costs/fuel surcharge of a guided trip! Simple! Maybe I should run for some kind of office?
    I just don't know what the world is coming too!
    Next we'll see snail boters doing guided fishing trips!
    Jim
    Last edited by Big Jim; 04-10-2008 at 20:36. Reason: spelling

Talking Oh C'mon...

you wrote that yourself <grin>
    i just can't believe you got an e-mail that reads like a forum post.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Real Email

Yeah, it's a real email. I've heard several guides and folks saying the same things. Just curious to what others thought about gas prices really having an effect on tourism this year.
    Marc Theiler

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by theilercabin View Post
    ....Just curious to what others thought about gas prices really having an effect on tourism this year.
    I have no doubt about it, especially the motor home types from the states (unless fuel prices haven't spiked like this in Canada because their dollar hasn't devalued so much).

i think most guys with established clientele will do alright. we may see a boost in tourism due to the weak dollar...europeans coming here because it is cheap, and lower 48'ers coming because overseas is too expensive.
    of course if we get hit with a 1-fish charter limit that'll do damage...not many folks will pay close to $300 to catch one fish...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Is that part of the Hillary campaign strategy? Send out letters bashing "Washington" to fishing guides?

Default Diesel

I would love to be paying $4.00 for diesel. What is the guy complaining about.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Duhhh!

I wonder how much money gas would be if we drilled 8 or 10 years ago in our own country. Suckling at the ni**le of the Saudis is not a good idea to protect our economy or our security. These things have been forecast for quite some time. The Government makes more off of fuel taxes than the so called Big Oil. I sure hope we get Energy independent in my lifetime for my kids sake.

Charter operators, lodges, and the like need to leave the budget traveler to the cruise industry and the frequent flyer programs.

Market to upscale clientelle, and offer them upscale service. They show up year after year in spite of the economy.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

WAS not all folks are AK

The less RVs the better!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    The less RVs the better!
    For who? I don't like driving behind them or sharing the riverbank either, but there are plenty of mom-and-pop businesses that depend on the RV crowd.

Default It's happening.

The lodge I'll be working for this summer has had a group of 5 cancel a three day reservation/charter (presumably forfeiting their deposits) in mid JULY because the felt they could no longer swing the expense of the trip. Hopefully that'll be all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    For who? I don't like driving behind them or sharing the riverbank either, but there are plenty of mom-and-pop businesses that depend on the RV crowd.
    The planet... Those mom and pop RV parks can shut down and put up real campgrounds with amenities such as trees.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default They will still come...

The passion to get to AK is still very much alive in many. Though some will cancel, others won't. Tough times require thinking tougher. I just finished an application for a free credit card that never has an annual fee and it gave me 20,000 frequent flyer miles simply as an inducement.

What I did, others will do. Where there is a will, there is a way. Alaska is not just for the elite. So long as there are persons who can show the way, others can still follow.

Do you hear it?
    The fish are still calling...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

For the common house hold it might have an affect on them coming here. Most people plan on a budget.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    The planet... Those mom and pop RV parks can shut down and put up real campgrounds with amenities such as trees.
    Wow!

I will eat as many wild trout as I can this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Wow!

I will eat as many wild trout as I can this summer.
    You did it now. Now you are going to hear it from him
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast