Thread: ever seen a fourwheeler on a raft?

Default ever seen a fourwheeler on a raft?

Hey everybody this 16ft floater ready for the season I live here in Anchorage (muldoon) and am ready to hit the waterways in my new 16 ft KENAI DRIFTER.
    My question is ....have you ever seen a fourwheeler on a raft going down the river? I intend to use my wheeler in spots never riden this summer.

Default DOH

Quote Originally Posted by 16foot floater View Post

My question is ....have you ever seen a fourwheeler on a raft going down the river? I intend to use my wheeler in spots never riden this summer.
    Nope; But have you ever seen a 4 wheeler riding a log jam ? Ontop of a sweeper ? Put water wings on it !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default me too

ya know silly as that question is i've thought the same thing, and asked a few people I know and got some off handed remarks for my trouble.

soooo if you happen to try it out please let me know how it goes, just don't know if i have enough courage to try it out.

I've never seen it done, but that isn't a good reason for not doing it.

I would use a modified frame that drops the wheeler as low as possible. Reading the specs that Jim King has on his website, the 16' KD is 8' wide with 26" tubes, so 44" inside between the tubes. If your wheeler is narrower than that you can get it all the way down. If wider, it will have to be suspended higher up above the tube's midline.

Another way would be to set it in side saddle like, with the front wheels up and the rears down or vice versa. You would have to provide other gear to balance the load on the light side.

I would not put it on top of both tubes. The KD series uses large diameter tubes, and anything up that high would create a less stable position. Could be a disaster if you hit a rock on the side. Either way, I would keep the wheeler off the floor, and suspended from the frame. A better boat for this would be something like an Aire Cougar with four 18" diameter tubes. With that you could just drive it on and off and let it sit wherever. Too bad I'm not selling mine.

Be sure to leave yourself with plenty of space in front of the rowing position to be able to swing the oar handles forward without hitting the wheeler. Also, unless you can get it very low, I wouldn't try any whitewater.

I've see it done, but it was on a very slow moving river and the guys had a small outboard to push the rig across. They used 2x8 boards across the tubes in the middle of the raft and then ran the bike up crosswise using small ramps from the beach. They had a strap system that strapped the boards to the tubes and then strapped the wheeler to the boards.

I don't think I would float very far with this setup, but it worked ok for ferrying the bikes across.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Please post pictures here if you do it.

I watched some guys ferrying across the Delta a wheeler on a raft. They did fine in the slower braided areas.
    Make it easier and less money--use an old (cheaper) lightweight one.

Sounds like fun, man.

what if I take out my front thwart ,do you think that a honda rancher would fit? Maybe then just adjust the frame back , hell its sixteen ft. long.

the thing is 8 and a half feet wide and should hold 5000 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by 16foot floater View Post
    Hey everybody this 16ft floater ready for the season I live here in Anchorage (muldoon) and am ready to hit the waterways in my new 16 ft KENAI DRIFTER.
    I hope you're going to find out who's land it is before you make trails. Putting in new trails and blabbing about it on the net can come to no good for us atv users who don't need any more enemys

A Rancher, at least a new one, is 46.1" wide. Your boat is 44" between the tubes. That's gonna be a tight fit. Actually, you can probably squeeze it in, as the dimensions aren't completely rigid in an inflatable. I still wouldn't put it on the floor though.You want to suspend it from a frame a few inches above it so you don't pop a hole.