Thread: haul rd

Default haul rd

Is there any negative to going up the Haul rd in Mid September besides possibly getting in winter weather? Are the Caribou still in the area? when do they move away from the Corridor?
    Thanks

Default Man O'man

What a loaded question.......

First, caribou will be where they want to be when they want to be there. Three years ago I went half way up past the pass and shot one in 12 hours. Two years ago it took me six hours and I went even less distance. Last year I saw three cows up by Deadhorse in 2 1/2 days. Two days on the lower part and we saw none. As I first said; Caribou will be where they want to be when they want to be there. They were't there in mid August.

So no guarantee's at all. Best thing to do is keep watching the forum. Usually truckers and others that work the slope have been kind enough to post and let everyone know where the herd is. Last year it was hung up 80 miles east of where we were. A bit of a hike aways.

They are no on the corridor. Usually in the summer they are on the coast letting the breezes help with the bugs. As it gets cooler, and when they want too, they move down and may pass through the corridor.

It is not a sure thing... but a beautiful trip reguardless.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

If you go late Sept they start to form a herd for breading. usually near the end of Sept the bulls will start if they haven't yet go into rut. The meat on a bull when in rut does not taste good at all. Like Dave said they can be any where day to day.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Take the trip...

You wont be disappointed. Even if there are no caribou its worth the drive up there. I went up on the Haul Road three times last year and didnít get a thing, but it was well worth the trip.

Bring a fishing pole. Great fishing along the way up there
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

thanks guys
    I have been up there and I loved all three trips. it has been ten years (I was 16) and my dad did all the planning so I thought I would get some info. And I agree well worth the trip regardless of animal success.
    daveinthebush did the Caribou move to the corridor last year or did they stay 80 miles east?
    Thanks

Post 2007...

Regarding the Haul Road last year...
    Yes, the 'bou did eventually move to the road system... it was early/mid September....

Just for fun, here's links to the 'haul road' info from last year:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=16959

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=16424

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=18423

The year before, different circumstances altogether.
    Do a search... crazy

So -- this year, I'm going for an early September hunt... I hate that I have to plan - but for some reason those that pay me want me to plan (grin).

Good luck!

Default I hate it

when work interfers with hunting. I have to be back to work by the 15th or so of August.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012