Thread: Method of printing full page border-less NOAA Nautical Charts!

Default Method of printing full page border-less NOAA Nautical Charts!

OK

This is going to take a few minutes to explain this, but I think you will find it a very useful post...maybe even worthy of pinning.

I just finished reading a thread entitled Nautical Maps. In this thread Alaskaflyer331 linked to a thread that shows Nautical Charts here:
    http://sailvector.com/
    He also mentioned that it wasn't very good for printing, but I have come up with a method to get around this and you can print full page, border-less nautical charts of your choice and magnification level. Have I got your interest yet????

OK, here we go...Start by reading and trying this...I'm not sure how to attach this so if this doesn't work I'll try something else...

save picture of any web page.jpg

OK, I think that worked, if you follow those instructions you can print out a pretty good picture from your paint program. Now to enlarge it and go border-less (if you want) I use photoshop CS. I would think other programs will also work at this point.

So you could bypass the Paint program altogether and just send it to Photoshop to start with or I'll go the long way and give you a step by step going through the Paint program the on to Photoshop.

I have a goat permit for the Gore Point area so lets use the Gore Point chart #16645 Gore Point to Anchor Point. Open that chart up on the sailvector.com page mentioned above, adjust the chart on that page however you want it then click the F11 key for full screen. Now simultaneously hit the control or Alt key and the print screen key on the upper right of your keyboard, now it is copied to your clip board. Now hit F11 again for normal screen then Start, all programs, accessories, then Paint. In the Paint program click on the edit command next to file and then click on paste, your chart should be on the screen, at this point you can do a save as and go from there but instead (if you have Photoshop) right click on the photo of the chart and chose open in Photoshop. Now that it is opened in Photoshop use your crop tool and crop out all the extra borders and adds. Now in Photoshop click on file then print with preview, then in that window click on page set-up and choose landscape rather than portrait, then on that same page click on letter border-less in the paper size drop down menu, if you don't want some slight cropping just choose letter. (play with it you'll see what I mean) Now click OK and you are back to the page set-up window. Now if you don't mind some slight borders just select the scale to fit media box, but if you want full page border-less which I prefer make sure the scale to fit media box is unchecked then select 8.4 or 8.5 inches in the height box and the width will change itself accordingly. That's it, hit print and you will have a true full page rendition of the nautical chart that was selected.

Try it, the results are worth the learning curve!!!

Thanks for the info. Very useful.

One glitch I came across when trying this, though, is that the screen capture function only copies what's actually on the screen to the clipboard. And with many of the larger charts, you can't get the whole chart on the screen without substantially reducing it in size, which really decreases the resolution.

Any thoughts on how to capture the whole chart without losing resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by bhollis View Post
    Thanks for the info. Very useful.

One glitch I came across when trying this, though, is that the screen capture function only copies what's actually on the screen to the clipboard. And with many of the larger charts, you can't get the whole chart on the screen without substantially reducing it in size, which really decreases the resolution.

Any thoughts on how to capture the whole chart without losing resolution?
    Well I'm afraid you're asking for the impossible there, as far as putting a whole chart on 1 sheet of 8 1/2" X 11" piece of paper, with out losing any resolution. There are options that you can do though.

One would be to save your whole chart picture to a thumb drive, then print it out on somebodies large format printer such as a 24" X 36" capable printer.

Probably a more plausible solution would be to print out 4 or more separate views of the same chart then marry them together yourself, with some Scotch Tape for a 34" X 44" view, that way you would retain resolution.

As far as saving the "whole chart picture" to a thumb drive or other similar device and then printing on a larger printer, I guess the question again is how to save the whole chart picture since Prt Scr only capture what's actually on the screen.

As you say, sounds like the more plausible solution is to do multiple captures at whatever level of resolution meets your needs.

Thanks again for this info.

Quote Originally Posted by bhollis View Post
    As far as saving the "whole chart picture" to a thumb drive or other similar device and then printing on a larger printer, I guess the question again is how to save the whole chart picture since Prt Scr only capture what's actually on the screen.

As you say, sounds like the more plausible solution is to do multiple captures at whatever level of resolution meets your needs.

Thanks again for this info.
    When you bring up the picture of your chart use the control in the lower right to zoom in or out to get the whole chart in one view then click and hold on the picture and move your mouse to move the picture around to help in getting the whole chart in. Still you will never get the same resolution as the original though, but it is a useful copy for my needs.