Thread: Chitna

Default Chitna

Has anyone done chitna in the last few weeks. This was our first year and we got our limit in June but was wondering about late july and August. I have been told the fish average bigger later in the season, is this true. Thanks in advance.

Default chitina

hope they're bigger...and easy to catch...and that my little tercel can get over the 'new slide'...headed down there in a couple hours. Haven't bothered to call Hem's hotline because whats the point? Having taken time off work ect. I'm going now, whether easy dipping or having to really work for those reds...not likely but hope to get a king. Great weather in Fbks, looks like a nice drive...
    wish me luck
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Default Tercel?

Asking for trouble if you ask me. I don't think it will make it without leaving your oilpan behind. Let us know how it went. I drove a Toyota pick-up across and thought it was sketchy. Good luck.

I was there on July 21/22. Caught 29 nice reds, but the 30th one was this spectacular bright, big, beautiful fish, a notch above everything else. I'm convinced it was a 2nd run fish.

Got back on Sunday, water was coming up but since then it has gone down pretty low now, the 2nd run reds are in and look good, they are bigger than the first run, they seem to be late this year by a few weeks. we brought home 96 reds and 2 kings, fishing was a little slow but not too bad.

Default Chitina

I went down on 25 Jul 06 and got my limit in a couple hours. Fish were very nice, bigger than I've had in past years and very bright. Had a few that were turning color or scarred that were released. Good luck with that Tercel.

Default smaller

I just got back two days ago. Run was mild. I always find these hatchery fish much smaller than the ones in June. Maybe bad luck?

Default chitina

Just got back couple hours ago(sunday the 6th, 5pm) was somewhat slow. Drove the canyon, and besides the 'new slide' all the old rough spots are a bit worse, with zero maintaince they get more washed out ect.
    Got 38(proxie) and swept all of those but 2, so am pretty sore. Got one king and there is definitely reds in two different sizes, small and medium/large. Don't know about the hatchery fish, but every 5th or so was on the larger size for sure.(Not as large size as they were 6 or so years ago from a very good ocean feeding and fattening, they were all Big that year)
    So...with careful driving and a little bit of rock placement(i.e. do it yourself road repair) drove fine with only one Major BAM or 'I hope that wasn't my oil pan'. This with my toyo tercel 4wd wagon.
    Fishing was not easy but not slow. Did the best Friday 11pm to Sat 2:20am, 20 or so. If it was darn slow I went up the canyon to the tent and tried to sleep. Best dipping was late late or very early, more or less. Others did not do as well but seemed less serious about the work involved.
    Friday was busiest, Saturday less so and Sunday was almost empty. If I go again it'll be a Sat/Sun/Mon or a Sun/Mon/Tue as Sunday was very much not crowded.
    Now the filleting.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

I was down there this weekend too. Two of us took our 4 wheelers down the canyon and dipped off the rocks. Saw the Toyota Tercel sitting on the rim with the tent behind it as we went by. We dipped 52 for two of us and it took about 10 hours to get them. I concur on the two sizes of fish. Lots of very small reds and many of them had scars on them. It seems like they had been through a net or a seine that cut them up. The larger ones didn't have the cuts on them. We were just getting into some nice fish on a real regular basis and needed 8 to finish our limit when it came up a very steady quite hard rain that turned the rocks to snot. I was tied off with a harness and a safety rope but it was still too dangerous on the particular rocks we were on and 8 fish aren't work getting seriously hurt so we packed it in and went back to my truck. I dipped one small Jack King that probably wouldn't have weighed two pounds. It happened to be a double dip and was in the net with a sockeye when I scooped it up.

Over all these were the poorest quality fish I've ever gotten at Chitina in 20 some years of dipping down there.

How do you tell a hatchery fish from wild stock. I haven't checked yet but I'm wondering about the adipose fin?

I think with the run being a few weeks late the fish are holding up at cordova before entering the river and they are getting chewed up by the seals, the 2nd run fish do have lots of seal bites compared to other years.

Default Anyone been lately?

Anyone been lately?

On the 9th we got three limits in our spot after about 4 hours. All fish kept were very good size. Compared to a first run netting I did a couple of years ago, even with supplemental take, I'd say my poundage was noticeably higher. Not sure how the walk in people did though.